• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Excessive tripping?

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

Good morning.

I come here to ask what causes tripping. I have a friend who tends to trip ALOT. Like, really, around 3-5 times per match on EVERY. SINGLE. MATCH. Meanwhile, people like me trip once every new millenium.

What could be the reason for that? Personally he thinks it's the way he moves. He tends to dash dance often, although I doubt it's that. Another guy who uses nunchuk (My friend uses Nunchuk as well) thinks it's the very fact the Nunchuk causes it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The probability of tripping is higher during the initial dash. That probably is the reason.

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
Uh... actually, tripping only occurs on the initial dash. If you do the glitch (or trick or whatever) where you can stay running on an edge forever, you'll notice that no matter how much you run, you'll never trip. It's only on the initial dash.
Now, the chances increase if you're on icy terrain (except with the Ice Climbers). Other than that, there's nothing more to note about it.
The wiki also has more info.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I don't know. I've tripped before when trying to pivot grab, too. So it might be possible to trip when during around during a dash I think, like you dash, quickly stop, then attempt to turn around. It's possible and noticeable if you're on icy terrain like PS2's ice area, or even a custom stage ice spot.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Essentially yes, but it's important to separate them imo because the pivot can be cancelled (into a grab, or another pivot) which could throw people off ("I didn't dash, I pivot-grabbed, why did I trip?").

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
This happens to me too. I usually play with my little brother. We usually plays Shadow Moses Island. I've only tripped once. I play with a Gamecube controller and with Toon Link. He plays with Gamstop's Gamecube controller and Snake and he trips ALL THE TIME. I do a initial dash much more often than him. Is this only bad luck or is it something?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
If the conditions are as you described, then yes it would have to be bad luck. Are you sure that you're not dashing more than your bro, or tripping more than him but making less of a big deal about it so that you don't remember?

The people who seem to trip the most are the ones who complain about it the most ;)

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Except that it's REALLY annoying when it happens 4 times in a row. What are the odds? Pretty damn high I guess... ><
It's not all that high. I don't have an exact number, but it's supposedly a small chance. Then again, if you're dash-dancing, you're prone to kissing the floor quite a few times in a single given match.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As far as I know, I'm pretty sure the tripping occurs at random. Theres a chance that you'll trip when you try to dash, as well as when you try to quickly turn around during one. Exactly whether or not you'll trip is still random. I could be wrong, but I think theres a small chance it can happen just when you're trying to start walking.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Tripping has ruined me in several matches, especially when dashing, so it must be at the start of one...

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
I always trip with Falcon.
It's because i dash dance too much.
Dance dancing is always playing with fire since you raise your chance of tripping.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
As far as I know, I'm pretty sure the tripping occurs at random. Theres a chance that you'll trip when you try to dash, as well as when you try to quickly turn around during one. Exactly whether or not you'll trip is still random. I could be wrong, but I think theres a small chance it can happen just when you're trying to start walking.
fyi, you should probably change your text color. it is a pain to read and most people run the default theme so a lot of people are going to have a hard time reading what you post

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
Does some characters have a higher tripping rate? When I use Luigi, Snake or MK I trip almost all the time. When I use Link or Toon Link I never trip.

link2702

Smash Champion
the only character who has a slightly higher chance to trip is luigi.

Now of course since some characters are clearly made to be played mostly on the ground, it might seem you're tripping more with them since you'll be on the ground dashing as them more as opposed to a character like...jiggly puff who should never be on the ground for long periods of time at all....but as far as the actual chance of tripping when you do a dash, luigi is the only one who has a higher chance than anyone else.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
fyi, you should probably change your text color. it is a pain to read and most people run the default theme so a lot of people are going to have a hard time reading what you post
My blue color? I don't think it's that bad. My red color was worse. That's why I changed it.

link2702

Smash Champion
because sakurai thought it'd be funny and "into character" for luigi to be slightly more clumsy than the rest of the cast.

Its not by a huge amount though, but regardless luigi still has a slightly higher chance to trip than the rest of the cast.

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
because sakurai thought it'd be funny and "into character" for luigi to be slightly more clumsy than the rest of the cast.

Its not by a huge amount though, but regardless luigi still has a slightly higher chance to trip than the rest of the cast.
Maybe because of Luigi's traction?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
From my experience, you only trip when dashing. If you were to dash dance, you'd likely trip. You can't trip while walking or jumping. To avoid it, just walk.

Top Bottom