• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Exception (DSI) occurred!!! Please help!!!

Supermass

Smash Rookie
I recently purchased a 2gb sd card, followed all the instructions and did all the stuff to download project m. The things is that I load it in stage builder, it opens up and as its checking for online updates, it gives me the error Exception (DSI) Occurred with a whole bunch of numbers.
So yea... any help would be greatly appreciated.

MaxThunder

PM Support
Have you tried doing a clean reinstall?.. you can also check the troubleshooting picture linked in my signature for more general troubleshooting...

Supermass

Smash Rookie
Have you tried doing a clean reinstall?.. you can also check the troubleshooting picture linked in my signature for more general troubleshooting...
I tried deleting the files and putting new PM files in the sd card. I made sure that the The sd card and The wii all have the correct things needed to play PM but it still crashes. I dont really understand what it means by reformatting the sd card and doing a clean install means..

MaxThunder

PM Support
a clean reinstall is deleting everything, redownloading and reinstalling with that...
for the formatting... right click the card and click properties... if it doesn't say FAT32 after file system, right click the card, click format, uncheck the "quick format" checkbox, select FAT32 in the dropdown menu and make sure you don't touch the allocation size setting... after that click start...
note that this will delete everything on the sd card, but it will make the card a format that's easier for the wii to read...

Supermass

Smash Rookie
a clean reinstall is deleting everything, redownloading and reinstalling with that...
for the formatting... right click the card and click properties... if it doesn't say FAT32 after file system, right click the card, click format, uncheck the "quick format" checkbox, select FAT32 in the dropdown menu and make sure you don't touch the allocation size setting... after that click start...
note that this will delete everything on the sd card, but it will make the card a format that's easier for the Wii to read...
Yea, that didn't work either... I don't understand, is it my Wii that's not allowing me to play the game? Ughhhhh I want to play PM so badly ;-;. I made sure that i had all of the things listed on the troubleshooting image and in the website and tried again and it still doesn't work.

MaxThunder

PM Support
ok first delete the folder called "launcher" that you find inside the folder "projectm"... then delete the file boot.elf in the root of the sd card... then download this: PM Launcher 1.11 and install it to the card... that should work...

Cryosaur111

Smash Rookie
Well I tried following your advise... can you confirm whether or not the screen that pops up that has the "Play-Updates-Addons-Exit" options should look any different after doing what you said? I did what you said there and that screen still looks the same and the game keeps crashing, meaning I either followed your advise wrong or the fix didn't work.

Supermass

Smash Rookie
ok first delete the folder called "launcher" that you find inside the folder "projectm"... then delete the file boot.elf in the root of the sd card... then download this: and install it to the card... that should work...
It didnt work, it said
boot.elf not found (-1)
USBGecko not found
No code found to load, hanging.

MaxThunder

PM Support
oh sorry i forgot to mention you have to take the boot.elf in apps/projectm and move it into the root of the sd card...

Supermass

Smash Rookie
oh sorry i forgot to mention you have to take the boot.elf in apps/projectm and move it into the root of the sd card...
It didnt work, it crashed when PM opens again and said the same exception dsi occurred....
(Also, i checked all the troubleshooting things again, i had everything it said i needed to have)

Last edited:

Supermass

Smash Rookie
By the way, i have the hackless version. Also, if you could provide more insight into why its crashing it would be epic :D

MaxThunder

PM Support
I have never encountered this problem before so i have absolutely no idea=(...
ok try taking the boot.elf from this thing: Gecko OS - WiiBrew and put it in the root of the card instead of the PM one... you won't havethe PM launcher specific features (updating and addons), but hopefully you'll be able to play...

Supermass

Smash Rookie
ok try taking the boot.elf from this thing: and put it in the root of the card instead of the PM one... you won't havethe PM launcher specific features (updating and addons), but hopefully you'll be able to play...
By the way, i forgot to mention that my friend gets the same error sometimes but he just has to hit play fast enough before it crashes, but for me, even when i hit a it doesn't go into the game, it still crashes.

MaxThunder

PM Support
Ok i'm not sure what's actually causing this error or how to fix it... but could you try turning off wifi and see if it still crashes?..

liam g

Smash Rookie
Already tried that I re downloaded it and everything… I don't get a file that says back ground but instead I get a file that says project M:mario64: Plz help meh...

MaxThunder

PM Support
Already tried that I re downloaded it and everything… I don't get a file that says back ground but instead I get a file that says project M:mario64: Plz help meh...
you tried without the wii being connected to internet and the launcher still crashed?..

btw the background.png file hasn't been a part of PM for about a year now... and there's supposed to be a projectm folder there...

liam g

Smash Rookie
No I haven't tried that I will be trying this now. Btw it says "Stacks dump" and "code dump" After the exception.

liam g

Smash Rookie
OML thanks for your time it works. Any way to repay you I will be glad too :)

Supermass

Smash Rookie
ok try taking the boot.elf from this thing: and put it in the root of the card instead of the PM one... you won't havethe PM launcher specific features (updating and addons), but hopefully you'll be able to play...
Yup, it allowed to me to play, it sucks that i cant do anything else though but i mean at least i can play and train for my school tournes now

MaxThunder

PM Support
Yup, it allowed to me to play, it sucks that i cant do anything else though but i mean at least i can play and train for my school tournes now
actually it seems the PM launcher doesn't crash when it can't conect to wifi so try turning that off on your wii and switch to the PM launcher is you wanna try that...

Supermass

Smash Rookie
actually it seems the PM launcher doesn't crash when it can't conect to wifi so try turning that off on your wii and switch to the PM launcher is you wanna try that...
if i turn off wifi on my wii the game just tells me to connect to the internet in the launch screen and i cant actually play because it wount let me hit play ( even if i'm spamming my a button)

MaxThunder

PM Support
are you using a classic or classic pro controller?.. if so, hit a on the wiimote... if not, the launcher should definitely let you do stuff...
did you install the fully updated launcher from the link i gave you earlier?..

Supermass

Smash Rookie
are you using a classic or classic pro controller?.. if so, hit a on the wiimote... if not, the launcher should definitely let you do stuff...
did you install the fully updated launcher from the link i gave you earlier?..
i use classic pro controller, also the fully updated launcher? Yea, i installed the gecko one so i can play :D thanks for that by the way

MaxThunder

PM Support
no i meant the 1.11 version of the PM launcher... PM launcher doesn't work with wiimote accessories so you have to navigate that with just the wiimote...

Supermass

Smash Rookie
I made everything work, or well at least you did lol. All i had to do was press 2 while i was in the PM launcher and the game runs perfectly. Thank you so much all your help :D

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
had to switch memory cards today... the old one works fine but 3.5 keeps crashing ifvit's on the pm launcher screen for too long.

frusterating. before i just put in the old launcher and it worked fine but now it keeps crashing with the new launcher.

argh what am I missing

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Sounds like an issue with the Wii connecting via wifi
It is, it turned my WiFi onto a different connection, and it didn't crash =\

Last edited:

Yoshterdude

Smash Rookie
hey max thunder what do you mean in root of the card also i get a gekco os launcher instead of pm pls help me

MaxThunder

PM Support
the PM launcher is what comes with the PM downloads on the PM site... also i posted a link to it earlier in this thread...
the root of the card is when you have opened the sd card but you're outside of any folders on it...

kaizo13

Smash Champion
is there still no solution for this?
the launcher 1.11 still crashes.

Festive

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshwa
3DS FC
0963-1631-8800
I haven't seen anyone actually post a picture of the error itself with the code dump. So here it is (at least the one I've got):

Note: I'm trying all the fixes listed above, just thought I'd post this here because it might help idk. I'll post if anything works. (also this is on my wii u)

Last edited:
Top Bottom