• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Excellent Secondaries

Dory

Smash Journeyman
We all know as mario mainers, mario is a mid tier character and with that mid tier-ness that mario has there has to be at least some beastly character backing him up. I know we all enjoy going straight mario against ANY character regardless of tier, but sometimes there is a smarter way to do this. You can pick up a well rounded secondary that fills mario's disadvantages holes. Even with our secondaries we might be picking mid or lower tier characters cause cmon we're mario mainers lol. but what i want to show is good secondaries (that DONT have to be yours, or if yours arent any of the ones i mentioned its ok lol) to back up the beast called mario.

Mario's worst matchups come in as followed:
Metaknight
Game and Watch
King Dedede
Snake
Marth

those are the most difficult to get over when using mario. Its possible to win as mario against these characters cause i have done so, and so many other mario mainers have aswell. But a good strategy in picking a secondary is to pick one you like, are confortable with, and can of course fill mario's holes. From the list above i think MK, or Game and Watch are the best choices when fighting another character from that list. So you can be a mario mainer but you can also have a top tier secondary to push you a bit further. You DONT have to always go your second when you encounter one of these guys because then youll forget about your dear mario that we all love (cause we main em).
This was all IMO. I was wondering who were your guys seconds? or if you might take my advice? or if youre still going 100% mario no matter what? All 3 good choices but people have different feelings and play styles so i decided to post this... and that im bored in class xD
-Dory

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Although I play as Link, Link is barely used at all these days, even in friendlies. He's pretty much starting to get slowly replaced by Fox.

So my secondaries are Ike and Fox. Ike is a crappy counterpick character, but I do use him for the sake of surprising my opponent. Fox as a secondary is solely for DDD in case I'm in a tight bind.

I played against all these characters honestly, and I'd rather go in 100% Mario because he's my best character by a considerable margin.

It's mainly a preference, but I'll never prove anything if I rely on counterpicking his tough matches (And Marth is not hard, seriously.)

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
Im thinking Diddy might be a nice counter to those bad match up. I have used my Diddy on all of them and won. (except MK).

Now i'm not all that sure about Diddy but you can give it a try.

If not Diiddy then Rob. I've actually beaten every bad match for Mario with Rob.

Of course the chars i've listted play almost completly differently. So it would be hard starting it of.

Matt07

Smash Master
I don't use a secondary, I find I can spend more time 'investing' in one character and getting better, then 'investing' into two characters, and always have to practice with two, and Mario tournament points if you place top 8 of course :).

viparagon

Smash Ace
Im thinking Diddy might be a nice counter to those bad match up. I have used my Diddy on all of them and won. (except MK).

Now i'm not all that sure about Diddy but you can give it a try.

If not Diiddy then Rob. I've actually beaten every bad match for Mario with Rob.

Of course the chars i've listted play almost completly differently. So it would be hard starting it of.
rob sucks against MK though

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm...

Olimar is surprisingly effective against MK and G&W.

Jigglypuff is good for D3 (yeah, I just mentioned Jiggly...) and decent against MK.

ROB is good for pretty much all of those except MK.

Diddy works well against D3, Snake and Marth.

MK works against just about everyone.

I know pretty much nothing on Falco except that he can get ***** by a planking MK.

Sheik seems like she'd be effective against most of these (except G&W), though I don't know much about her.

There are others who can also be pretty decent, but I think these are, IMO, the main ones (well, and Cap. falcon, because he's just so manly.).

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I use Kirby against all those guys. He goes pretty even with them, in my opinion. He even CGs Snake and D3.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I use Kirby against all those guys. He goes pretty even with them, in my opinion. He even CGs Snake and D3.
Are you talking about the Gonzo combo? That only works for a little bit and at low percentages.

I use Kirby against them to, if only because that's my main, but Kirby isn't that great vs Snake, Marth and G&W.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You can get a free 50% on them using the gonzo combo. That's pretty decent, I dare say. And I know Kirby isn't that great against him, but he's much better against them than Mario is.

That and Kirby's dair is complete **** off stage.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Too true...

Can't Snake DI out of the Gonzo combo though?

(Also, the opponent can DI up through Kirby's Dair and footstool him. I believe this is only if he FFs it though. Thankfully few people know this, but it can be bad for him.)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
You guise need to think like Boss and me.. No need for secondaries... Mario bros mains will always be god tier...

But anyways I like having secondaries because I do get bored of the plumbers my secondaries goes as follows

Marth countering MKs, GaWs, D3s, marth themselves lol and just about anybody

Diddy Kong specfically made to piss off others but mostly D3.

But majority of the time I know how to prevail.

Oh and marth > Diddy kong in everything lol

edit: SNAKE IS NOT A HARD OR WORST MATCHUP FOR MARIO LIKE ZOMGZ. At least that's what i think. I think its around a 45-55 lol

Dory

Smash Journeyman
You guise need to think like Boss and me.. No need for secondaries...
im pretty sure you too arent the only ones >.>
but picking up a good secondary isnt a stupid thing...
i go mario 90+% of the time.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
...Snake was my secondary...Now he's not...the moral of the story....Be a Mario

True Story
fixed that for you.

I choose my characters solely on who I enjoy. If I didn't enjoy Fox I wouldn't be picking him up, and Ike has more disadvantages than Mario does... so yeah. :laugh:

It seems more smart for me to always go 100% Mario.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Marth has a negative match-up vs D3, MK, and Snake (though I personally **** D3, and do fine against Snake, while still being able to fight MKs) He can destroy G&W, and most Marth players don't know the ditto, so if you learn it (pivot grab, dthrow, fsmash, edgeguard Bair (if dodged, you can throw a Fair to hit them out of the dodge, and Bair outspaces Fair I think. It should hit first if thrown correctly), edgehog) then you'll be okay.

Naturally, I'd go MK if I was a Mario player in need of a secondary though. Fox is okay too if you're looking for something more in your tier. He's not helpless vs. Marth's, since he's so quick and most Marth's won't know how to fight him. He's neutral with Snake, IMO, and beats Kind D3 IMO. G&W can be an issue, and MK is an issue for everyone.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Against D3 I consider Olimar, Jigglypuff or Kirby. Mostly Olimar though.

Metaknight I usually consider someone campy with a projectile.

Snake, I stick with Mario. It's not too bad a matchup long as you dont get overwhelmed. Wario's also nice against Snake for me.

For a secondary, I have a few that I rely on heavily. Mines Olimar, Wario, Kirby, Jigglypuff, and very rarely Yoshi even.. I pull them all out on certain matchups. I get bored playing Mario all the time, every time. Which hinders me in the longrun anyway, so from me to whoever. Main everybody. ;)

Dory

Smash Journeyman
yeah against snake you can (and i recommend) stay mario. people just at times complain at mario dying at like 100 from an utilt. only reason i added him to that list...

Famous

Smash Champion
Marth has a negative match-up vs D3, MK, and Snake (though I personally **** D3, and do fine against Snake, while still being able to fight MKs) He can destroy G&W, and most Marth players don't know the ditto, so if you learn it (pivot grab, dthrow, fsmash, edgeguard Bair (if dodged, you can throw a Fair to hit them out of the dodge, and Bair outspaces Fair I think. It should hit first if thrown correctly), edgehog) then you'll be okay.

Naturally, I'd go MK if I was a Mario player in need of a secondary though. Fox is okay too if you're looking for something more in your tier. He's not helpless vs. Marth's, since he's so quick and most Marth's won't know how to fight him. He's neutral with Snake, IMO, and beats Kind D3 IMO. G&W can be an issue, and MK is an issue for everyone.

Marth has a 0 to death on Fox...A good secondary for a Mario main would be Luigi, Rob or G&W...
This is my opinion..

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
I try to stick with Mario as much as possible, but when I simply have too much trouble with a character I usually pull out my Luigi. Although he doesn't have the options and versatility Mario has, Luigi packs the power Mario is lacking when I need less technique and more of simple killing power. XD

I working on giving Dedede a shot as a secondary, and I have vowed to never use an infinite against a fellow Mario player (or otherwise) for as long as I play competitively. If I'm gonna win, I'm gonna win FAIRLY. ><;;

Geou

Smash Apprentice
Donkey Kong. He is, plain and simple, a beast. It's very, very easy to destroy inexperienced Snakes with him, and Metaknights aren't too bad either.

For the King, though, I have to change to Kirby. After all, he always defeats Dedede. ;)

bobson

Smash Lord
I've found that my experience with Mario outweighs most possible benefits to be gained through counterpicking for a disadvantageous matchup. Metaknight, Snake and Marth are all controllable (Marth and Snake aren't even that difficult in my experience). Mr. Game & Watch is less so, but it's not a hopeless matchup by any means. Be a man, stick with the plumber through-and-through.

Except for King Dedede, the fat grabby *******. As Geou mentioned, Kirby (appropriately) works wonders in this match.

Top Bottom