• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#EVOfly Traveling Tips To Vegas For EVO 2015!

BearUNLV

Esports Manager, Tournament Director

I wanted to share with you some information that may be helpful to you before you travel to Vegas for EVO 2015. I work as one of the main information personnel at Las Vegas McCarran International Airport in Terminal Operations which gives me the knowledge to help. With so many making travel plans for EVO 2015 I wanted to put that experience to use to help the community. I've been giving travel tips, tournament tips, Vegas tips, sharing maps & routes, answering questions, and answering hypothetical questions under the #EVOfly on Twitter.

I wanted to share with you some information that may be helpful to you before you travel to Vegas for EVO 2015. This first bunch of tips was compiled by FargaBarga on Reddit, so a special thank-you to him for doing so.
  • Unless you're traveling for over a week, you only need 1 medium-sized suitcase. It should fit in the overhead/underseat storage of a bus or plane.
  • Bring a backpack/purse/gym bag to carry snacks, drinks, phone and 3ds chargers, headphones, and your controller.
  • If for some reason you have to check a bag or store it in the luggage area underneath a bus, make sure it has luggage tags with your name, phone number, address, even email. Don't leave valuables in your checked luggage.
  • Keep valuables such as electronics, medicine, jewelry in your backpack or lock it in the hotel safe(it's in the closet).
  • Tip your cab drivers, hotel bellhops that help with luggage, waiters, bartenders, etc.
  • Check the FourSquare comments for the wifi password of a business.
  • Drink water. It's 110°F+ everyday probably.
  • Shower every morning or before bed.
  • Bring/use hand sanitizer.
  • Wash hands often! Especially before you eat.
Now for a few of the questions from #EVOFly:

Q: Can I buy a one way ticket? Then MM for my ticket back?
A: Yes you can do that...but be weary because you might not win the MMs..

Q: Cheapest flights?
A: Look up flights for Tuesday or Wednesday. Those are usually your best bet to save money.

Q: MY PHONE IS DEAD! D E A D B O Y Z!!
A: Use any outlet or power charging area. Plenty of stores sell chargers as well.

Q: Liquor store?!?!?!!?
A: Yes there is one at LAS in T1 Baggage Claim near carousel #1. Opens at 9am usually.

Q: I took a cab and they took me the long way...what do I do?
A: It's against the law! - http://t.co/9ssLE5OW9i - http://t.co/i0YAqE5XVz

Q: HELP IM SO LOST IN THE AIRPORT & DONT SEE ANY1 THAT CAN HELP!
A: Pickup a white courtesy phone, dial 0; operator will assist you.

Hopefully some of these tips will help you out in traveling for EVO! Feel free to use #EVOfly on Twitter for much more tips, maps and Q&A. Thanks for reading and hope to see you there!

Bassem "Bear" Dahdouh is a TO (who created the DVDA tournament series), a group admin/leader, and a competitor in the Vegas Smash 4 community. To keep up with him and ask more #EVOfly questions be sure to follow him on Twitter.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know it was in Vegas. WTF? Partaaaayyy!!!

Lysozy

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips! Also, "MY PHONE IS DEAD! D E A D B O Y Z!!" had me crying.

BearUNLV

All y'all got to do is search #EVOfly on Twitter. There's lots more <3

Best,
Bear

@BearUNLV

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
Another tip; If you are on the strip, but not in walking distance of the Paris, there's a monorail system that runs along the strip that's relatively cheap. And one of its stops is at the Bally's/Paris http://www.lvmonorail.com/ I was at Vegas for the first time last year, although not for EVO. I had a blast; looking forward to being back there again!

Last edited:

Lunaticker

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lunaticker
3DS FC
4184-3137-6259
"Shower every morning or before bed."

"Wash hands often. Especially before you eat!"

Do they...do they just assume anyone who plays Smash is some kind of swamp troll that doesn't know how to function in human society? That's what I'm getting from reading this.

Last edited:

Dr.Lulz

Smash Cadet
There's this place i wanna try eating at but it's like 4 miles from ballys and I'm not trying to walk. and taxis are like 30 bucks for one way... any tips?

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
"Shower every morning or before bed."

"Wash hands often. Especially before you eat!"

Do they...do they just assume anyone who plays Smash is some kind of swamp troll that doesn't know how to function in human society? That's what I'm getting from reading this.
I feel like it would be suggested to any people, not just smashers. However, in this situation, It's important to not being sick in a travel like that, where you interact a lot of people (including handshakes) during the tournaments, better be safe. And some people need some reminder about things like that in general, related to Smash or not.

BearUNLV

Last edited:

Lunaticker

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lunaticker
3DS FC
4184-3137-6259
I feel like it would be suggested to any people, not just smashers. However, in this situation, It's important to not being sick in a travel like that, where you interact a lot of people (including handshakes) during the tournaments, better be safe. And some people need some reminder about things like that in general, related to Smash or not.
You're probably right I guess. I just like to nitpick.

Top Bottom