• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO Pools Draft, Tenative Sunday Schedule Released

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
Don't be surprised. Nintendo, as well as EVO, are concerned with community backlash. It could lose them much more than they gain by usurping what many see as Melee's 'rightful place' as the primary competitive Smash game.
I feel the same way. I myself would have been a little disappointed if Melee wasn't finished on Sunday. Even though I am primarily a Melee player I will say smash 4 isn't trash. If you like it, you like it. And if you don't, you don't. Saying its bad doesn't change the fact that there is a community behind it that loves and enjoys the game. To me it comes down to player preference. I for one don't enjoy the game much. But I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from playing the game.

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
youre acting like

brawl community didnt aid in raising that money, majority of those people have now transfered to smash 4. So I competely disagree that the smash 4 community hasnt done anything. If you are referring to the new bloods, then that goes without saying, because theyre new. The smash 4 community isnt some brand new group. just a ton of casuals are trying to be competitive and theyre starting with this iteration.
I don't even know how to respond to this, but I'll try.
First of all, change 'didnt' to did.
Second, WHAT? "brawl players helped get melee to evo and now they're smash 4 players so the smash 4 community has done something" is just... WHAT? That is the most unbelievably terrible attempt at defending the Smash 4 community.
I can't focus on coming up with a good way of explaining why everything else you said is wrong because I'm still baffled by my second point. I'm at a loss for words. GG

Last edited:

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Well, according to you, if you hate Smash 4, you're an elitist. It's not like there are more than two Smash games.
That was intended more as a joke. I literally just clipped together some text from someone else and wrote "plz". I'm not making any big claims here.
It's just what you said is flawed. He could be a fan of PM Brawl 64 and Melee, but just not like Smash 4. You don't know what he plays nor what he likes and you have the gall to call him an elitist.
You're on to something, but there isn't a particular elitist group you listed, maybe besides Brawl, that wouldn't bring up Sm4sh's speed as a reason why they don't like it. Besides, read above.
:edit: it honestly isn't too hard to just do a quick search and figure out exactly which game he likes to play. There are a lot of sources; this is Smashboards after all.
Some believe there is an objective nature to game design, and that certain designs are objectively superior.
this; you can have an elitist attitude that favors a particular mechanic rather than one specific game. For instance I may not hate Sm4sh, but I still think it would be better with wavedashing and dash dancing.

Last edited:

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
I thought I could make a joke to stifle the argument but I was wrong. I was horribly wrong and I regret saying something that can be interpreted non objectively.
:edit: on the other hand it wouldn't have been a problem if there weren't so many cancerous comments, followed by people defending said cancerous posts.

Last edited:

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
This argument is a prime example as to why people look down upon the smash community. Arguments between the communities of their respective games affects our community as a whole.

Last edited:

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
What's the point of expressing your hatred in such vulgar manner?

Last edited by a moderator:

iDreamTheater

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iDreamTheater
3DS FC
5472-7184-0561
I think we should all be so happy that Super Smash Brothers as a whole is doing so fantastically!

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
I still am mad at most of the community. It saddens me that every smash 4 player on earth is an elitist noob, who believes smash 4 is superior because it is an easy game. Shut up 13 year old noobs, you are killing your on elitist prick community (which wouldn't be such a bad thing maybe)
Wow dude ... just wow.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
"When's Mahvel" is too mainstream.

How's Mahvel?
Why Mahvel?
Where's Mahvel?
What's Mahvel?

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
HO LEE CRAP GUYS.

Smash 4 is rad! Melee is rad! Between the two, we have the 2nd and 3rd most attended games at EVO! Maybe you play one, maybe you play both, maybe you watch one, maybe you watch both. Why bother expending the energy to hate on another part of this grand community we are all a part of? Get hyped, and for those going: kick some ass!

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
HO LEE CRAP GUYS.

Smash 4 is rad! Melee is rad! Between the two, we have the 2nd and 3rd most attended games at EVO! Maybe you play one, maybe you play both, maybe you watch one, maybe you watch both. Why bother expending the energy to hate on another part of this grand community we are all a part of? Get hyped, and for those going: kick some ***!
AMEN my fellow smash brother.

GeneralBrwni

Smash Cadet
Not really. He never even said that Melee was his favorite game (It probably is though). You're just assuming so because he called Smash 4 bad. For all we know, he could be a Brawl player.
I was simply pointing out implications of his post. Based on his excitement about melee taking main stage, it is implied that he likes that game. Just like you assumed that I was implying melee was his favorite game despite me never mentioning melee in my post.

GeneralBrwni

Smash Cadet
My reasoning for everything I have previously said is this:
1. Smash 4 is trash because it is in no way competitive, the engine is worse n brawl's(yes, worse). Melee was competitive with more thought and tech, which leads me to
2. Project M is the best smash game. Melee was accidentally competitive, while PM was made to be competitive.
3. I do play Brawl, Melee, PM, and 64. I hate smash 4's community the most. Anyone who says anything about their "precious game" gets the boot. I'm sick of it.
What do you define as competitive? It's a primarily skill-based competition which has plenty of people willing to compete. It's competitive. Maybe it's not as well-designed for competition with complexity and depth, but it still has enough of both those things, and makes up for what it's lacking by being far more approachable than the better competitive games like Melee or PM. Which is good for the smash series as a whole, that we have a new, approachable yet competitive game. Your number 3 point is silly, it's basically saying "I hate people who play Smash 4 because they like Smash 4." Of course the smash 4 community like smash 4 and will defend smash 4, that's why they play it. If you want to look at communities, don't look at the ones that think their game is precious, look at the ones that talk down anybody who plays a game that's not of their own preference, because there's no good reason to ever be rude because somebody has a difference of preference from you.

poisn

Smash Rookie
MELEE ON SUNDAY WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, I got reported. I would love to know who got me reported for flaming. What did I do wrong? For all the people still arguing about me, I hope we never meet in bracket at an event. Ever. Also, stop being jerks, all the people against me in this situation are the freshly joined people who got into the community because of: wait for it...Smash 4. No bias there, huh.
That was me because this discussion got derailed as soon as you commented. Three comments in and you lit the fuze for yet another garbage and wholly irrelevant Melee vs SSB4 flame war. You can't insult an entire portion of the community out of no-where and then claim no responsibility. Both Melee and Smash 4 almost taking the top spot at the biggest fighting game tournament in the world is fantastic news and we should be happy as a community for it. You were out of line and were called out for it. It's as simple as that. Take your sour grapes elsewhere if you have to.

Last edited:

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
So, I got reported. I would love to know who got me reported for flaming. What did I do wrong? For all the people still arguing about me, I hope we never meet in bracket at an event. Ever. Also, stop being jerks, all the people against me in this situation are the freshly joined people who got into the community because of: wait for it...Smash 4. No bias there, huh.
Frankly man, you're starting to sound like a child now. Saying "I hope we never meet in a bracket at an event. Ever" after getting into this big argument sounds like what a teenage girl would say to their friends if they pissed her off.

And what you did with that one post warrants getting reported. So it was not like a false-flagging thing that happens on YouTube, it was justified.

By the way, I'm real Melee elitist if anyone here is, and I share a lot of your opinions, so I'm not one of the Smash 4 people you were bashing.

Budwiser

Smash Cadet
I still am mad at most of the community. It saddens me that every smash 4 player on earth is an elitist noob, who believes smash 4 is superior because it is an easy game. Shut up 13 year old noobs, you are killing your on elitist prick community (which wouldn't be such a bad thing maybe)
That's funny cause I play Sm4sh, but IN MY OPINION (THAT MEANS SOMETHING I BELIEVE MYSELF.) Melee is better in some ways than Sm4sh, and vice versa. By the end of the day, they are two different games that can't be compared, cause if they just wanted a better version of >insert smash game<, they would have just put out patches and updates. Each game is great in its own ways. Why does it matter which is better? What's the point of getting so worked up about it, when it's just game? This argument is meaningless. When people act the way that you're acting, that's what creates this type of argument and tension between the communities.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS Melee finisheson Sunday. And no I'm not an elitist I jut thin smash 4 is trash 4.

Only melee is on the main stage.
That's pretty inconsiderate.

Smashboards Logic:
>dislikes sm4sh
>elitist
More like it doesn't belong here and is pretty worthless to bring up in the first place.

What does hating Smash 4 and dropping insults really do here or how is it relevant?

Melee has worked to get to EVO. It raised $90k just to get to EVO 2013 and did well enough to get to EVO 2014, and now EVO 2015. Smash 4 hasn't done anything yet that even deserves a spot at EVO. Maybe next year.
Smash community did, not just Melee.

Only reason it beat out skullgirls was the fact everyone donated. A lot of 64, and Brawl players donated in the triple and quad digits.

You came in here and called people fanboys, then proceeded to bash them saying they deserved to get out and they don't deserve to be a part of the community and that they are killing it.

Then here you decided to post how you never want to see them again because they think you are being a jerk, which you are right now.

If you have a preference, that is fine but there is a time and place for stuff like this. Coming in and saying, "yeah Melee suck it Trash 4" is not going to please people over and makes people made because you are trashing on their game.

Like and hate what you want, time and place while also being considerate is another.

And don't call me a fanboy or many others, you have no idea what other people play as well. I play every game except for 64.

Don't be a jerk and be considerate.

Last edited:

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
Alright, every thread on smashboards will be posted on regarding this topic. (jk) And its the smash 4 players' fault for not being able to take a hit. They are so sensitive about their 'precious game' that they can't think rationally. Its stupid. I also stopped insulting the game a few posts back, and started insulting the game's community, which I believe to be one of the worst communities out there, purely because they are noobs to the game. I met a kid online recently who only played smash 4 because it was easy. He hadn't even seen the doc. It makes me laugh every time I see their community struggle or get into another dumb argument. Brawl's community was better than smash 4's wimpy one. And with that, I would like to see you stop me from starting a war FAR larger than anything this community has seen before: Smash 4 community vs every other smash community.
LOL! You are going to post on EVERY THREAD on Smashboards? You are going to start a war between Smash communities? Well since this appears to be your one mission in life, please go ahead and waste your time doing that.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
For the record I do not believe objective competitiveness for full titles. Aspects could be argued yes but I do not think there is such a thing, if people try it looks at it usually too linear. There are a lot of subjective elements to trying to argue or grade competitive natures.

Alright, every thread on smashboards will be posted on regarding this topic. (jk) And its the smash 4 players' fault for not being able to take a hit. They are so sensitive about their 'precious game' that they can't think rationally. Its stupid. I also stopped insulting the game a few posts back, and started insulting the game's community, which I believe to be one of the worst communities out there, purely because they are noobs to the game. I met a kid online recently who only played smash 4 because it was easy. He hadn't even seen the doc. It makes me laugh every time I see their community struggle or get into another dumb argument. Brawl's community was better than smash 4's wimpy one. And with that, I would like to see you stop me from starting a war FAR larger than anything this community has seen before: Smash 4 community vs every other smash community.
Yeah the, "be able to take it" argument I hear in Facebook groups to excuse excessive bashing and bully like behavior.

It's just an awful excuse for poor behavior trying to veil it as being acceptable because people should just be able to take it right? Doesn't matter if you work on just pissing everyone off intentionally, it's their fault for getting mad in the first place right?

Yeah that doesn't fly and I don't stand for it. At this point you are trying to stir people up without actually trying to be constructive with this.

If you want to have a legitimate constructive argument, fine but that doesn't belong here. Even more so at this point you seem disinterested in trying to think for others at all.

And don't start wars because of your personal hate, that's unnecessary.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad Smash 4 is on Saturday, I'm too busy on Sunday to watch streams.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754

Guys, just go. That goes for every side in this. Why can't we just have peace literally once?

Why can't be celebrate that both Smash games are 2nd and 3rd in players. Why can't we celebrate that we got pandered to with two games?

And why can't we just ignore the trolls? Why does every single time anything decisive or positive for melee and Smash 4, someone has to start flaming? This isn't tumblr or 4chan.

We're better than this.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
This is Nintendo's fault. No PM, brawl being made, restricting of stages due to copyright music. Yup, Nintendo.
Nintendo is the reason you made an account. Nintendo is the reason you got a chance to play a game that you like. Nintendo is why SMASH exists, and despite however we disagree we all can agree on if it hadn't been for nintendo, we might not have a game we love so much.

-Nebula-

Smash Cadet
Hooray Melee for getting on the main stage.
Hooray Smash 4 for getting the 2nd most entrants.

We all have something to be happy about. No need to get into a brawl, guys.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
Dude, EVO's gonna be hype! It's pretty amazing to see that Melee and Sm4sh take 3rd and 2nd place in the total amount of entrants.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it

>Implying

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
EVO should totally have a section for fighting mods so that we can play Project M.

Last edited:
Top Bottom