• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Everything you need to know about custom equipment stats

David Wonn

Smash Ace
[...]

Unless I've gone crazy or somethin', I'm sure that turnin' items off will not let G&W spawn an apple if he gets a 7.
I'm not sure why I didn't see this post earlier, but I'll just briefly divert from the current discussion (and to break up some consecutive posts above.)

If you go to Spectator Mode or use the Share features to watch For Glory matches with Mr. G&W, you'll definitely see the apple spawn, just as Peach and Diddy can spawn items that are otherwise disabled. Likewise, matches with Pac-Man can be minimally impacted by equipment which alters properties of food.

Last edited:

customShyGuy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2294-6426-5931
I been playing smash on my 3ds for awhile and want to find someone to fight me with this dangerous equipment.This at like a boss battle.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Is it me or negative effects rarely matter?

Especially the Powershield-. Since got one of those for Greninja I dream of getting three. Up to +80 stats on everything, and the drawbacks of the second and third Powershield- equipped are... NOTHING. It is freaking broken man.

customShyGuy customShyGuy I want to try out my overpowered Greninja too. maybe next Saturday?

Hopefully, on the next game you will be able to trade equipement, I have many powerfull items that I don't need like a "quick descent Shield" only for Link that gives massive defense and due to the extra falling speed makes the down air harder to dodge. I would quickly trade it for a powerful Cape for my Corrin...

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Is it me or negative effects rarely matter?
Some negative bonus effects are quite powerful, which can easily explain why their stat drop values are small. Anchor Jump is the biggest offender, as it not only increases the falling speed of a fighter, but it also increases the fighter's gravity value, which adds insult to injury for the fighter's jumping capabilities.

Similarly, Crash Lander increases a fighter's landing impact, which can make him/her vulnerable for a longer duration than normal; this is something that opponents can potentially take advantage of.

As for Air Piñata, while it may not be too detrimental if your fighter is on the ground, once the fighter is off the ground, that increased damage multiplier can end up hurting his/her longevity. Combo attacks can add insult to injury as well, as fighters are often off the ground whenever they take damage.

Anyway, those are just some examples of negative bonus effects that can really harm a fighter's longevity.

For a bonus effect like Lo-Jump, however, its negative bonus effect isn't too awful, as it won't hurt your fighter's recovery, but it can hinder the fighter's aerial game if you need to jump high without using mid-air jumps. Little Mac probably gets the most benefit out of Lo-Jump, as his aerial game is very bad. Likewise, he wouldn't be hindered too much by Air Pushover, but that bonus effect will decrease the amount of damage that Jolt Haymaker and Rising Uppercut can deliver.

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
I have never found Crash Landing to matter on my Attack X. Greninja has negligible landing lag on everything except the down air, and that one is so laggy it won't really matter either...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have never found Crash Landing to matter on my Attack X. Greninja has negligible landing lag on everything except the down air, and that one is so laggy it won't really matter either...
Still, some negative bonus effects are more detrimental than others. Jigglypuff is pretty much content with Stroller, since it's faster in the air, while Antiglide's air speed decrease won't matter much if the fighter can still make long distance recoveries.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
The most detrimental without a doubt has to be "damage for progressive power" one by far. Not even Lucario can use that crap.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The most detrimental without a doubt has to be "damage for progressive power" one by far. Not even Lucario can use that crap.
If you're referring to the Trade-off bonus effects, Trade-off Attacker can potentially work in Lucario's favor, but you do need to be careful, since starting a life with 30% damage can reduce your fighter's longevity.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Yeah, I mean those. In particular all-trade and defensen Trade. The first is plain suïcidar, and the other's defense advantage will come too late. Plus, in general simply taking equipement with a bigger stat increase is way more practical.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, I mean those. In particular all-trade and defensen Trade. The first is plain suïcidar, and the other's defense advantage will come too late. Plus, in general simply taking equipement with a bigger stat increase is way more practical.
All that I can tell you is that there's a reason why Critical Hitter has such a nasty penalty on the positive value, and that's because it has a 20% chance of making your fighter's attacks deal 3x more damage than normal. That can potentially lead to instant 1-hit KOs if you use a highly damaging attack. Whereas, Hard Braker's bonus effect only increases your fighter's traction, so its penalty on the positive value is quite small when compared to most other positive bonus effects.

Anyway, while using the negative bonus effect equipment may seem tempting with their weaker stat drop values, be very aware that some of those negative effects may be very atrocious to your fighter. Hasty Edge and Meanderer are quite minor as a whole, but Anchor Jump and Double-Jump Drag can lead to your own undoing if you're not careful.

Last edited:

SwordM13X24

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sword
3DS FC
4227-4395-5715
Wow, sure has been awhile since this topic last seen any signs of life...

Anywho, the Wiki still says the highest positive value is 90, but I thought that 85 was the highest legitimate positive value.

If it IS 90 (or 85) I have a request for someone that can powersave/hack/data manipulate/etc. to conduct these experiments for me so I can complete the equipment value table for attack and defense.

Test #1: Use Roy with -63 × 3 (-189 total) [or 59/60 × 3 (-177/-180)] Attack Value with a full charge Flare Blade against any character in Trainin' Mode and record how much damage Roy inflicts with that negative damage value.

Test #2: Use Roy with +200 total Attack Value with a full charge Flare Blade against any character with -63 × 3 (-189 total) [or 59/60 × 3 (-177/-180)] Defense Value in Trainin' Mode and record how much damage Roy inflicts with that negative damage value.

Big thanks for anyone that figures out the maximum legit positive values and the full Flare Blade damage experiments for me!

Lastly on the subject of optimizin' equipment with negative attributes with generous stat compensations, Risky Respawner (as far as I could tell) is more or less the least harmful for any character in the roster and stackin' the same negative attribute doesn't make it worse. Unlike some attributes like Crash Lander, which if ya stack multiple Crash Landers, ya could take years after ya land to input another action. Risky Respawner also has a rather generous stat compensation for what it is.

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
All that I can tell you is that there's a reason why Critical Hitter has such a nasty penalty on the positive value, and that's because it has a 20% chance of making your fighter's attacks deal 3x more damage than normal. That can potentially lead to instant 1-hit KOs if you use a highly damaging attack. Whereas, Hard Braker's bonus effect only increases your fighter's traction, so its penalty on the positive value is quite small when compared to most other positive bonus effects.

Anyway, while using the negative bonus effect equipment may seem tempting with their weaker stat drop values, be very aware that some of those negative effects may be very atrocious to your fighter. Hasty Edge and Meanderer are quite minor as a whole, but Anchor Jump and Double-Jump Drag can lead to your own undoing if you're not careful.
Some toughts on it I forgot to bring up:

My Greninja uses Perfect Shield- Speed X (I rarely shield anyway, Greninja is donuted on shield due to that laggy grab), Item Throw- Defense X (lol), and Crash Lander Attack X (his landing lag is either too low to matter even with the badge or too high anyway even without it, in the case of down-air). Being capable of keeping up with Sonic, hitting like a truck with much less ending lag, having the DI survivability increased from already unusual lenghts to absolutely ridiculous percents, and being able to damage himself by crossing the upper blast zone with only his double jump alone for a little laugh every now and then, and to destroy the pac-man ladder while I'm at it, is totally worth it.

Critical Hitter sounds like the reason equipement is banned... That sounds basically to work as a Judge for any attack, if luck strikes, GG. Still, Defense Trade and Full Trade suck, and that goes without question...

Mobility hampering equipement are the ones i throw to the trash directly. I rely too much on Greninja's speed for my own good, guilty pleasure. And I agree, hampering Corrin's already bad recovery is just plain suicidal.

Recently i got a Air Attack- sword for my Corrin. Due to having a +85 attack boost, i never see the drop to matter much, when compared to my regular Legend Sword...

I find Risky Respawner overrated. The 2 second invincibility comes in really handy to finish off somebody that KOed you at 120% or so, or simply to approach safely for a start-up combo. Perfect Shield-, on the other hand, considering in general you are better off dodging, or using a counter if you have one, than trying to go for a powershield...

SwordM13X24 SwordM13X24 I think that means the max positive stat is +90, but it translates to +85 maximum benefit when taking into account the -5 negative on the other stat

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Like I said already, Antiglide isn't that bad if your fighter has a horizontal recovery move that it can depend on. Bowser Jr. can utilize Clown Kart Dash for his horizontal mobility; Meta Knight can use Drill Rush; Sheik has Bouncing Fish.

Similarly, Jigglypuff is already a slow fighter on the ground, so the Stroller bonus effect won't hurt it much, since its air speed is already better than its run speed.

On a side note, there are only four bonus effects where equipment can legally have a positive value of 85, and a negative value of 5; they're Antiglide, Air Piñata, Anchor Jump, and Double-Jump Drag.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
It would be nice if the final match of Classic mode had a chance to spawn a "golden equipement" that guaranteed the max status boost and the lowest applicable negative, with the stantard chance of hafing a negative or positive secondary effect with the usual stat modifiers, and locked to always be compatible with the caracther who is taking on master core, with that prize being guaranteed to spawn at least once in 9.0 difficultly. this would make equipement that much more tournament-friendly by giving people a great chance of getting their prefered equipements.

One thing, I find the Fast Falling Shield to work wonders on Link. His down-air is almost unstoppable with the increased falling speed.

Last edited:

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
ERMAGERD EX DEE EL EM EFF AY OH

CHEERIORS
MKAS

NOOOOOO

custom equipment is pretty

Last edited by a moderator:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Nah, custom equipement is a crapload of (censored). You never get what you want, the repeated costumes, custom attacks and trophies keep trolling you.

Especially glaring, the ones that get unlocked via one of the challenges, that after you beat that challenge, they will start appearing uselessly between the other random prizes, that is next level Sakurai being a total asshole.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Nah, custom equipement is a crapload of (censored). You never get what you want, the repeated costumes, custom attacks and trophies keep trolling you.

Especially glaring, the ones that get unlocked via one of the challenges, that after you beat that challenge, they will start appearing uselessly between the other random prizes, that is next level Sakurai being a total *******.
I'll have to agree with you there, sug. I've done the grinding for custom specials and Mii outfits in the past and does RNG-based events make it a chore. I can't tell y'all about the countless hours spent in Target Blast acquiring the bulk of customs. It's been four months back that I found everything, so now I no longer want rewards and ****. Just stay encouraged; they'll all come in time.

If y'all can't take anymore of the grinding, though, let's hope the theoretical Smash removes this random mechanism with customs/trophies.

Top Bottom