• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everything and Nothing; Strategies!

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, let's make this short and sweet.

Everything:

Applying all techs right
Mastering your style
Knowing what to do before it happens

Why isn't this working? Habits. Break them, destroy them, rid yourself of them. Yoshi is a habit making character. You will often find yourself doing the same things. It may work a few times, but will not get you to the top.

Nothing:

Just go with the flow of the match, do things you normally wouldn't. Push yourself to try new things, spam Uthrow cause it does nothing, Egg Lay in place ten times, Throw eggs straight up in the air. MIX IT UP! Life get's boring in routines, your playstyle does to. Set your Yoshi free.

YOSHI LOVES YOU! Except Furbs, he hates Furbs.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I've already been doing this (I think). My strategy is to be unpredictable, so I shouldn't fall into any old routine. >.>

bigman40

Smash Master
Except Furbs, he hates Furbs.[/SIZE]
I lol'ed soo hard here. XD

I've already been doing this (I think). My strategy is to be unpredictable, so I shouldn't fall into any old routine. >.>
Saying that you try to be unpredictable doesn't mean that you ARE unpredictable. If there's a moment where you can see yourself (from watching a video) where you telegraphed your own attack, then you're gonna get predictable.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Just go with the flow of the match, do things you normally wouldn't. Push yourself to try new things, spam Uthrow cause it does nothing, Egg Lay in place ten times, Throw eggs straight up in the air. MIX IT UP! Life get's boring in routines, your playstyle does to. Set your Yoshi free.
Don't spam upthrow Ganon or you set Yoshi on a free date above and beyond!

Airborne

Smash Lord
you obviously know nothing about pivot grabbing... and uthrow is great if they don't jump and just try to DI out of it, b/c they're easy to predict once you get used to it.

but yes, chaco, i'm still trying to learn the ways of "mixing it up".... =\

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
nice thread!, the idea to mix it up (yoshi remix lol) is great!, sounds interesting x)
i´ll try to make something new, don´t know, ETS+DR..., what ever xD
edit: ^, good idea oO

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
you obviously know nothing about pivot grabbing... and uthrow is great if they don't jump and just try to DI out of it, b/c they're easy to predict once you get used to it.

but yes, chaco, i'm still trying to learn the ways of "mixing it up".... =\
Well only if a Yoshi like mine stayed in place it would be stomp after stomp... :( (fail)

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
i use white now

its every color and slice hooked it up with a legit texture!!

:)

auroreon

Smash Ace
Why not just make a rainbow Yoshi with stripes of every color, or all trippy like Tie-dye or in splodges... actually thats a nice idea... I shall make it. AND NONE OF YOU BETTER STEAL IT!

On Topic: Erm... Im not actually sure what we are discussing? Are we like, just supposed to post ways to mix up ur Yoshi game? In that case... Jab cancel than shield. And break out of shield repeatadly for no reason. AND THEN UP TAUNT!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I cosign to this thread.

Yoshi, for being a character with so many different playstyles, is a ridiculously habit-forming character. I agree completely that habits should be broken and no real tech should ever be performed the same way twice in a row.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Why would you throw Ganondorf in the first place? :laugh:

Hm, strategies to being unpredictable? Well, how about DJAD while recovering for most of a match... then near the end you instead do a rising aerial (possibly to win that match)? It actually worked a few times for me. :p

bigman40

Smash Master
wouldn´t it be useful to change the running direction and then do an ETS?
so you could slide back and throw an egg
I'm fairly sure people don't know that this is possible, but you can wavebounce the ETS (yes, on the ground. You're still technically in the air). While it's not the same amount of slide, you slide backwards a tad while throwing an egg forwards (assuming that you're running forwards).

Depster

Smash Champion
Nobody uses ETS quite like me I take it...

I try to use ETS every way I can think of that would do anything special

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
I'm fairly sure people don't know that this is possible, but you can wavebounce the ETS (yes, on the ground. You're still technically in the air). While it's not the same amount of slide, you slide backwards a tad while throwing an egg forwards (assuming that you're running forwards).
i know what you mean, it depends on the angle of the control stick right?
so if you´re starting the eggthrow with an angle that´s over the top position of the stick (less then 90°/right) and then you move it to the other side (in this case left / more then 90°), yoshi changes his direction of the slide
my english isn´t the best xD, so i´ll make it simple:

- Special+Control Stick (position < 90°)
-Control Stick to: position > 90°
=> strange slide

to avoid this effect, you have to start with an angle that´s at the same side of the circle where the egg should fly

anyway...
but it this wouldn´t give a really big slide distance, instead of using the slide of a DR (or the little distance from the rush) + the slide from the ETS
if this is wrong: sorry ^^"

i´m sorry for my english, but the sentences had been really hard xD

bigman40

Smash Master
You don't have to worry about your grammar. If there's something I don't understand then I'll simply ask XD

The reason why I say that DR + ETS wouldn't be as much of a difference is because of the fact that it takes decent time and hand movement to do it fast. If what I'm getting from this, you'll be dashing at your opponent, DR to cancel the run, dash away and ETS to have somewhat of a feint attack? That's quite alot of time to do just that, and if read by your opponent, if could mean that you'll get hurt.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Scat has this mess down pat.

Also, as Bwett said, just accept it Furbs.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
If what I'm getting from this, you'll be dashing at your opponent, DR to cancel the run, dash away and ETS to have somewhat of a feint attack?
yep that´s it
well, you could be right, it´s sure that it needs much time, but i´ll try it in some matches
i´ll report you about the results^^

Airborne

Smash Lord
i don't think I've seen anyone talk about bouncing egg roll... ever since chaco posted that thread about going through tlink's arrow a lllllllloooooonnnnggggg time ago, I've always looked towards bouncing egg roll as a more useful option. picture this, if the opponent knocks you up into the air and is attempting to anticipate you're return to the ground, you can use egg roll at a logical position so that it foils whatever they were plotting to do with you by your serial momentum cancel, and it will hit them with a good 4-5% knocking them off the ground just slightly, allowing you to roll away and reset the positions of you and your opponent. I've tried than this once a week or so when i actually remember about it, it has not once failed me. =P

btw, i somehow managed to write this all on my phone... -.-

Juanyboy3

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi :D
and yea trying out new things with yoshi is one of the many perks of using him
i try to play every match differently so my opponents dont anticipate what i do
oh and DR + Pivoted egg lay = win ^_^

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yoshi does make me form habits... ._.

Yeah, I got to work on that! I Pivot Grab too much. >_<

Needs more ETS and DR.

And we love Yoshi too. <3

Naw, Yoshi also loves Furbs. He breaks the racial boundaries Yoshi style. =D

bigman40

Smash Master
:yoshi: I cosign to this thread.

Yoshi, for being a character with so many different playstyles, is a ridiculously habit-forming character. I agree completely that habits should be broken and no real tech should ever be performed the same way twice in a row.
:026: QFT. Yoshi can easily put you into one form of playstyles (maybe 2 or 3), but the might produce the same reason as to why you're doing it (and I don't mean to just add damage to your opponent and kill him). We have other methods such as pressuring for your opponent to go offensive, defensive, make him feel off-balance, etc.

If you do have multiple playing styles then great, but if you (or your opponent) can notice the change, then you're not doing it good enough. They should be subtle changes so that it's hard to notice that you changed your style up during a match. I know that I'm still predictable when it comes to switching up w/o making people notice. :yoshi:

Depster

Smash Champion
sometimes I just kinda SH a bair straight up a few times without actually trying to hit the person. not really straight but maybe like towards then away or just away or just something that will confuse people and make them stop to think

Chaco

Never Logs In
I've formed a good habit now, mixing up throws. I'll Uthrow Chase to pivot a few times, Dthrow chase, then Fthrow to Usmash. :]

Top Bottom