• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Every VGBootCamp YouTube Video Accidentally Retitled

VGBootCamp's logo. Source.

GimR, the creator and owner of VGBootCamp, one of the oldest and most popular streaming and video-archiving organizations in the Smash community, just posted a video informing his subscribers of a serious mistake made by an employee that could severely affect the future of their YouTube channel.

For those of you unable to watch the video, an unnamed agent hired by GimR to upload VODs apparently selected an option that changed the title of every video in the channel to "SF5 Smash 4 - Serge (Lucario) Vs. Darkfall (Link) SSB4 Tournament - Smash Wii U". As there is no undo button for such action, all six years worth of VODs uploaded by VGBC are now incorrectly named, making them a nightmare to archive and browse.

What's worse, as GimR says in the video, is that YouTube's algorithm is now less likely to recommend said videos, since it no longer counts the views they got before their name changes towards whether or not they're recommended to future viewers.

For now, GimR has gone through the appropriate means for contacting YouTube support in hopes of resolving the issue, but has thus far gotten no response. Only time will tell if there's anything they can do.

For those of you who wish to support VGBC through their troubles, you can subscribe to their Twitch, YouTube and follow them on Twitter.

EDIT: Fortunately, it would seem as if YouTube is helping VGBC re-title their videos, with their most recent content already properly classified. Some of their older VODs, however, haven't gotten the same treatment yet. Hopefully we'll see the channel go completely back to normal soon enough.

Last edited:
Eidolon

Comments

This just shows how idiotic people can be sometimes. I get that it was an accident, but that one mistake pretty much destroyed the entire channel.

I'm dreadfully reminded of that one time I accidentally flooded a chatroom many years ago and got myself perma-banned... :(

But yeah, yikes.

Last edited:
i feel sorry for the guy, but tbh, no one should EVER try to rely on youtube income alone. I'm sorry but unless you get EXTREMELY lucky like mattpatt or pewdepie, you should not make youtube your income source, and even then, even if you became as popular as those examples, i'd still argue that you should always have a true job to fall on, even if it's just part time at McDonald's it's still a more reliable source of income.

i feel sorry for the guy, but tbh, no one should EVER try to rely on youtube income alone. I'm sorry but unless you get EXTREMELY lucky like MatPat or PewDiePie, you should not make youtube your income source, and even then, even if you became as popular as those examples, i'd still argue that you should always have a true job to fall on, even if it's just part time at McDonald's it's still a more reliable source of income.
True. Nathaniel Bandy, a guy I watch, has said that YouTube is really inconsistent when it comes to getting an income. One month you might earn $2,000, and the next $500. That's not a good way to live.

Also, theodd1sout was talking about work stories at Subway, and he eventually realized he probably shouldn't say some of the things he said in the videos in case the whole YouTube thing flops and he needs a new job.

These guys are very aware that YouTube isn't an ideal way to make a living. If a YouTuber I like gets a new job just in case and starts uploading videos less, I'd be fine with that, because a) they'd be making money, and getting another job is a step in the right direction, and b) the fewer uploads a YouTuber does over a period of time, the more excited I am when they finally do put a video together and upload it. I don't know if this is true for everyone, but it sure is for me.

ALSO. That kind of got off-topic.

notsuchabadguy notsuchabadguy You should update the article. Youtube is helping them out. Just checked their YT page and at the very least all of their recent videos (going back 3 weeks when I checked) were renamed, but their oldest were not (yet).

Looks like Serge and Darkfall will become famous. Or rather...infamous.
I do feel sorry for the person responsible. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have caused this.

R.I.P. VGBC. "SF5 Smash 4 - Serge (Lucario) Vs. Darkfall (Link) SSB4 Tournament - Smash Wii U"
damn
This is really unfortunate, and seriously hope it gets resolved fast.

As the wise Dr. Hungrybox once said:

Roses are red

Tulips are pink

Serge (Lucario) Vs. Darkfall (Link)

I just checked VGBootCamp, and it looks like it's (getting) fixed! Man, that was a close one.

Last edited:
I just checked VGBootCamp, and it looks like it's fixed! Man, that was a close one.
No it's not. A majority of the videos haven't had their titles and descriptions fixed. They're still working on it, thankfully.

True. Nathaniel Bandy, a guy I watch, has said that YouTube is really inconsistent when it comes to getting an income. One month you might earn $2,000, and the next $500. That's not a good way to live.

Also, theodd1sout was talking about work stories at Subway, and he eventually realized he probably shouldn't say some of the things he said in the videos in case the whole YouTube thing flops and he needs a new job.

These guys are very aware that YouTube isn't an ideal way to make a living. If a YouTuber I like gets a new job just in case and starts uploading videos less, I'd be fine with that, because a) they'd be making money, and getting another job is a step in the right direction, and b) the fewer uploads a YouTuber does over a period of time, the more excited I am when they finally do put a video together and upload it. I don't know if this is true for everyone, but it sure is for me.

ALSO. That kind of got off-topic.
It's for this reason that streaming and patreon became immensely popular for those who want to do this stuff consistently. Drfit0r said he lived comfortably for the first time in forever, and yet he still goes to stream so much more often now. It's an unfortunate reality.

What a sad time for these people though...I hope they recover.

With YouTube helping to fix the names of the videos, does this mean that the view-count-related stuff that GimR talked about in the video will be restored too?

D
Man I wish I lived in the same utopian universe as the people who truly believe this qualifies as an actual "disaster."

Last edited by a moderator:
Note to everyone: Please white list Smash stream VOD's on YouTube when possible. None of these streams exactly make enough money, and just a little bit extra helps.
Meanwhile CT, TLOC, and WCS are laughing their ***** off
Why would any of those streaming crews want VGBC to suffer when VGBC has hosted many of them before, VGBC has helped many of them before, and VGBC has great relations with all of them???

All these streamers often work together to coordinate and help one another, and often their successes grow with one another.

Anyone wishing for VGBC to have such misfortunes because of this "us vs. them" mentality whether it because they prefer other streams or because "GimR hates PM" (which is a flat out wrong mentality) is terribly dehumanizing of others. That is bad for any community.

When something bad happens to VGBC or another high quality stream crew, that is bad for everyone in competitive Smash, period. No one benefits from a quality stream having such a misfortune situation happening, period.

\\

Fortunately, this may be resolved, but even then VGBC could lose out on thousands of dollars of viewership revenue due to algorithms isses YouTube. Frankly that just sucks.
With YouTube helping to fix the names of the videos, does this mean that the view-count-related stuff that GimR talked about in the video will be restored too?
The trouble was the algorithm related to linking related videos.

That remains to be seen last I checked. We should know the answer within the next few days.

Last edited:
Why would any of those streaming crews want VGBC to suffer when VGBC has hosted many of them before, VGBC has helped many of them before, and VGBC has great relations with all of them???
#oneunit

But really, it does suck. Give GimR a couple of days. I'm sure he'll have things back in working order. Don't read too much into an offhanded comment someone on the internet makes, friend.

Oh boy, when you make a serious video about dooming yourself rule #1, DON'T ADMIT WE'RE SCREWED!!! I mean the mistake that one guy made is one thing but I think that this channel is screwed because GimR just gave up and admitted said phrase.

Top Bottom