• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ever found a character to be ''too fast'' for your comfort?

Guillaume1987

Smash Cadet
I think I am going to get flamed for this, but I happen to have a lot of trouble getting good with fast characters. Don't know if it's me getting too old and input speed dwindling, but I started to rely a lot on slow character like Ganondorf, King3D, Bowser. Whenever I pick a swift one like Capt. Falcon, Sheik or Pikachu, I will often screw my short hops, run past my opponent when I dash grab, or miss my arials. I just can't keep up with all the speed they have to offer.

Anyone having a hard time getting good with fast characters? Any tips on how to approach them?

Khao

Smash Lord
The only time I've gone "what the **** am I even doing" out of the sheer speed of a character, is Melee's Captain Falcon.

Dash, jump, dead.

holymario

Smash Apprentice
I like fast characters :) I only have some trouble to fight against sonic :/ but playing these chracters is ok for me.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I'm a Falcon main. The only character whose speed I have a problem with is that blue rat.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I usually gravitate towards faster, agile characters in fighting games (Valentine, Leo Kliesen, Taokaka, Taki, etc), but I actually prefer slower-paced characters in Smash. I find that my reflexes aren't up to snuff when it comes to rushdown fighters, so I like to take things slow and just ease myself into the battle.

This is the only game I don't play Cap. He just doesn't do it for me.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I main Pika, so I don't exactly like slow characters... But my god Greninja is just too damn fast. I play a little falcon and sonic on the side, so I really don't know what it is. Maybe his jump speed?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I main Pika, so I don't exactly like slow characters... But my god Greninja is just too damn fast. I play a little falcon and sonic on the side, so I really don't know what it is. Maybe his jump speed?
I totally forgot about Greninja. He's probably the only fast character I don't enjoy using. He just feels.... weird.

Guillaume1987

Smash Cadet
I totally forgot about Greninja. He's probably the only fast character I don't enjoy using. He just feels.... weird.

I forgot about him! You are totally right, I think Greninja is the only character I will consistently fail at landing an arial, except his Dair. Whenever I want to Fair someone I will miss him, over jump him. It's frustrating.

Rushdown characters just doesn't click with me.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I forgot about him! You are totally right, I think Greninja is the only character I will consistently fail at landing an arial, except his Dair. Whenever I want to Fair someone I will miss him, over jump him. It's frustrating.

Rushdown characters just doesn't click with me.
Yeah, that's my problem with him. His aerials have weird hitboxes, and it doesn't help that he's a fast faller.
Greninja and Zero Suit Samus are the only rushdown characters I can't use, but I just don't like ZSS' playstyle. I actually tried using Greninja for a while but just gave up.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Yeah, that's my problem with him. His aerials have weird hitboxes, and it doesn't help that he's a fast faller.
Greninja and Zero Suit Samus are the only rushdown characters I can't use, but I just don't like ZSS' playstyle. I actually tried using Greninja for a while but just gave up.
Hang on. ZSS is NOT rushdown.

D

Deleted member

Sanic. Gatta go fast.

( insert Sanic image here that isn't morbid huge. ) :sonic:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Only one character comes to mind: :foxmelee:.

He'd easily be my main if I could get him down, but I can't. So for Melee, I kind of stick with :sheikmelee: for more serious matches.

16LetterUsername

Smash Rookie
fox...

For whatwever reason, i just cant get a handle on fox.

oh ya,and greninja gives me trouble too

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I usually need time to adjust to fast characters, especially if they have fast attacks. Greninja and Fox took me over a month of practice to actually become competent with and I still haven't gotten a good handle on Sheik so I virtually never use her.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I don't enjoy fast characters.
It feels like I don't have a lot of control over the character. I like slower and hard-hitting characters more.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I think I am going to get flamed for this, but I happen to have a lot of trouble getting good with fast characters. Don't know if it's me getting too old and input speed dwindling, but I started to rely a lot on slow character like Ganondorf, King3D, Bowser. Whenever I pick a swift one like Capt. Falcon, Sheik or Pikachu, I will often screw my short hops, run past my opponent when I dash grab, or miss my arials. I just can't keep up with all the speed they have to offer.

Anyone having a hard time getting good with fast characters? Any tips on how to approach them?
I'm in the exact same boat. I prefer heavies as well. Fortunately heavies in this game can hold their own fairly well with customs, so embrace their massive girth and raw power.

16LetterUsername

Smash Rookie
I'm in the exact same boat. I prefer heavies as well. Fortunately heavies in this game can hold their own fairly well with customs, so embrace their massive girth and raw power.
This is why I "main" Charizard. He's fast, in that he has super-quick non-smash/non-special moves, but he still has really heavy smashes and can take a **** load of damage

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I'm not sure if it's that he's "too fast", but something about :4fox: has never clicked with me, in any version of Smash. Likewise for :4falco:, although I find him slightly more tolerable in this game.
:4sonic: too, although I don't like him anyway :p
I can handle :4falcon: just fine, though.

Top Bottom