• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EuroCup 2008 AKA: YAY FOOTBALL!

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
Puebla!!!!

Well yea that's true but having Schwien (hope i'm spelling it right) proves a big difference, and with the already deep bench of Germany, they should go to the finals, i see no reason for them not going.
Yes, Puebla!!! (at least we hang in the first division).

It's Schweinsteiger (checked in the Euro site), and hopefully he won't get another red card.

Oh crap!, Greece is winning 1-0 against Spain

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Yes, Puebla!!! (at least we hang in the first division).

It's Schweinsteiger (checked in the Euro site), and hopefully he won't get another red card.

Oh crap!, Greece is winning 1-0 against Spain
It's spain and germany that i'm going for spain will make it a good game don't worry about that.

And btw puebla sucks lol

Aguila de corazon. :)

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
It's spain and germany that i'm going for spain will make it a good game don't worry about that.

And btw puebla sucks lol

Aguila de corazon. :)
:laugh:

Fact: Toluca > Puebla > America

Expect a lot of thrash talk when the next season starts.

Back on Topic:

Spain still proves to have a lot of scoring potential, the first goal was amazing, but not as manly as Ballack's.

My predictions go to Germany ****** Portugal, taking sweet revenge on Croatia and winning the final match against Holland or Spain.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Russia took the last spot and is the first time to make regular knockout in international play since the fall of the Soviet Union. Just a little fact.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Ok my predictions

Portugal
v ------------- Portugal
Germany

Croatia
v ------------- Croatia
Turkey

Holland
v ------------- Holland
Russia

Spain
v ------------- Spain
Italy

Sporkman

Smash Ace
How the hell did mexican football get brought up?

Arshavin was fantastic tonight.

Be interesting to see how Italy cope without both Pirlo and Gattuso.

Wikipedia, repeat that fact another four times and you could be a co-commentator.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
LOL my fault.

I acknowledged goldberg as being from puebla, and assuming he went for the team puebla (was right) and i mentioned another team (america) and there you have it, futbol.

But anyways just to be on the safe side Holland=Netherlands right, or am i missing something?

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
How the hell did mexican football get brought up?

Arshavin was fantastic tonight.

Be interesting to see how Italy cope without both Pirlo and Gattuso.

Wikipedia, repeat that fact another four times and you could be a co-commentator.
I know, seriously, he said it like 20 times.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Woah, Portugal out of the tournament, did not see that one coming. Germans did a terrific job. Though, that one German dude(can't remember his name right now) stepping on Ronaldo's foot was pretty low(even though it didn't hurt him that much).

Anyway, I think the Germans deserved this win. But if that 3-2 just came 10 minutes earlier, then that crazy Portugal could've tied it. Awesome game.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Fuss was made about Ballack's push, yet no one cared about Podolski's on Bosingwa for the first goal.

Predictions on Croatia - Turkey?

huenikad

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking croatia will win and I'm pumped that Germany won :). Hopefully they go all the way.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Wow, Sweden sucked. >_> High hopes after the game against Greece, but it looked more obvious than ever in the game against Russia that Sweden have the oldest players in the whole tournament. I guess I will have to cheer for the underdogs that's left as usual.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
What an unbelievable ending. Turkey don't know when they've lost.

My first two predictions both wrong. I'm not making anymore predictions lol.

_V_

Smash Ace
Woo...just found this thread.

<3 Turkey. That was a great game!

I would like them to go all the way, but I highly doubt it. Unless that win sparks something in them.

RavenPsyc

Smash Rookie
Woo...just found this thread.

<3 Turkey. That was a great game!

I would like them to go all the way, but I highly doubt it. Unless that win sparks something in them.
something like this is a great spark for a team like Turkey. wins like this always do one of two things from what i have found:

1. They will be pumped and the win will be carried right past Germany (I really like upsets and underdogs; The secret is never to give up hope no matter how much logic dictates otherwise because if you give up hope they will lose the intangible factor lol, its not supposed to make sense)

2. Once the adrenaline from the win wears off they will be left with absolutely in the tank and they will be crushed by Germany. :urg: game over end of story

the latter sucks and is the reason i dont always watch the games after a game like this but they are turkey and are full of surprises.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Germany just has to play like they did against Portugal and they cannot stop working until the game is over. I think the last 3 matches Turkey played demonstrated that you shouldn't celebrate too early. I think one of the commentators said that out of the 390 minutes that Turkey played in this Euro, they had the lead for a total of 2 (!!!!!) minutes.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
So it's "don't write off the Germans" vs "Don't write off the Turks" in the first semi final. great.

Interesting line up today in Netherlands vs Russia. Two attacking asides, which definately won't bode well with Russia as Holland have shown how good they are on the counter attack. The Russian fullbacks like to bomb forward which no doubt Holland will try and exploit, but Guus is a smart man and if anyone can give Russia a chance in this match it will probably be him, the ref and the linesman. South Korea vs Spain & Italy?

Can't see Russia winning this one, they might get a goal, but no more. Perhaps the most crucial thing is how the Dutch react to the death of Boulahrouz's daughter. :(

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Yes, Boulahrouz is going through some tragic times, but he said he was going to be fit for the game. He isn't pushed into the next match, it's entirely his own choice. He is now the only one who can leave the hotel and stadium whenever he wants. I think he just should go home and be with his wife, but it's his own choice.

Anyway, I'm actually nervous for this game. And that hasn't happened to me in a very long time(last time WC 98). I have trust in our team, we'll win!

crosser43

Smash Journeyman
OMG,OMG,OMG Netherlands and Russia right now is such an awesome game
Russia scored at 56 and Van Nistelrooy got a beautiful header like 4 minutes before it's over. They're in extras right now. Wow, this is really exciting. Netherlands are going to win it all!

GOOOOO NETHERLANDS!!!!!!!!!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I was predicting a Croatia v Holland final.

How wrong was I?

superman969

Smash Journeyman
OMG,OMG,OMG Netherlands and Russia right now is such an awesome game
Russia scored at 56 and Van Nistelrooy got a beautiful header like 4 minutes before it's over. They're in extras right now. Wow, this is really exciting. Netherlands are going to win it all!

GOOOOO NETHERLANDS!!!!!!!!!
I may cry now. It was a fabulous game with a terrible outcome.

I think it's because the Russians are a much younger team than the Netherlands, thus, the Dutch just couldn't handle 30 more extra minutes. Also, the Netherlands' defense is TERRIBLE. Pavlyuchenko (spelling?) and the other Russian strikers burned them every freakin time. The Dutch were just out run and out smarted, especially the back four. Van Nistelrooy's still too good, as is Van Der Sah. It's too bad that was his last major tourney.

Now, Spain better crush Italy and if they do that, they shouldn't have much trouble with Russia. Once again, Spain's the younger team compared to Italy. Italy is a good team, but they have some hella good luck. They're garbage in group play, then they go on a super lucky streak to win the rest of the tourney (coughWorldCupcough). Spain's defense might be a lil shaky too though.

Germany looked REALLY great against Portugal, although I thought Portugal would win. Portugal's got a great team and I was sad to see them lose. The Portuguese keeper really let them down on the third goal. He was deciding between, "should I come out and grab it"" or "should I stay on my line and take my chances?" If he had down either all the way, I think he would have made the save.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
~N9NE~ said:
Ok my predictions

Portugal
v ------------- Portugal
Germany

Croatia
v ------------- Croatia
Turkey

Holland
v ------------- Holland
Russia

Spain
v ------------- Spain
Italy

Spot on! :bigthumbu
Wouldn't mind seeing Italy go through just for the complete merkage of these two posters.

Dissapointed to see Holland go out but Russia thoroughly outplayed them today, particuarly Arshavin, who looked a threat whenever he got the ball. If Pavlyuchenko was more clinical in his finishing Russia could score many many goals.

FAO superman969: The dutch isn't old, most of the players are in their prime, mid twenties.
also:
superman969 said:
They're garbage in group play, then they go on a super lucky streak to win the rest of the tourney (coughWorldCupcough).
Italy are not France.:rolleyes:

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Spain must win.

For no reason other then preventing all four of my predictions being wrong :( lol

superman969

Smash Journeyman
Eh, well, in any case, it was apparent that the Russians were in a lot better shape.

And no, Italy's lucky as hell. The only reason they're still in is because Buffon made the luckiest (and one of the sexiest) save ever. That ball could have bounced off his foot at any angle.

And if Italy wins, at least we have the Germans to beat them....right now the Germans look like they're gonna win it. If Turkey gets to the finals I'll laugh, speaking of luck. Petr Cech dropping that ball was a once in a million save thing. ****ing rain.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The ref seriously needs to quit ****ing around.

Spain is dominating in terms of possession and shots on goal, but Italy's taking great advantage of the opportunities they get. If the reffing was half-decent, I would say Spain has this, but unfortunately it could go either way.

crosser43

Smash Journeyman
Spain just won in shootout. It was pretty awesome, but saw it coming. They were pretty even through the game. Spain's going to the finals, my bet.

The Russian game, even if I was cheering for Netherlands, the Russians deserved it. They just simply outplayed them with much better chances. Dutch were exhausted.

Even though Dutch are out, I'm gonna cheer for Turks since they want it more, and are doing so well.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
At least I got one prediction right.

Another average performance from Torres. Was expecting him to do really well this tournament.

SF's prediction. Germany versus Russia or Spain. That game's too tight to call.

_V_

Smash Ace
That was one of the best games I have ever seen...minus the feed cutting out.

WOW.

I wanted Turkey to win, but oh well. Awesome game.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Good game, minus the video feed problems. I was going for Germany and they came through, though they were playing pretty poorly for the first half; they did finally pull through as the second half progressed.

I must say I am impressed by Turkey, regardless.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Justice prevails in the case of the ref. But hell of a game from both teams, my predictions.... Germany vs. Spain. Which will be a ****ing amazing game. gotta give it the germans, and homegirl Schweinsteiger!!!!!! And wtf at the Turkish goalie, that was am ATROCIOUS attempt and a save.

Top Bottom