• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Etrian Odyssey (all games and any future games)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
My B-day is coming up soon, 18th to be exact, and I'm asking for the New 3DS + 1 game of my choosing. Not quite sure if I want to ask for a pre-order of Etrian Mystery Dungeon, pre-order of Xeno Blade Chronicles for the New 3DS, or Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. >_>

Hong

The Strongest
My B-day is coming up soon, 18th to be exact, and I'm asking for the New 3DS + 1 game of my choosing. Not quite sure if I want to ask for a pre-order of Etrian Mystery Dungeon, pre-order of Xeno Blade Chronicles for the New 3DS, or Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. >_>
Have you played Xenobabes before? If not, get it. It's one of the best RPGs you'll have played in ages. Among those three, it is probably the game with the most likelihood of being good and getting the most value. Next I'd rank Monster Hunter 4; I've never played it myself, but it has to be good if it's hit off as well as it has.

IMO get EMD when it's convenient.

Hong

The Strongest
It's okay. We didn't need our money, anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hong

The Strongest
So it's official. The "Prince" and "Princess" class is now collectively known as the "Sovereign" class.

I always knew one day that they'd just have to give up and give them a unisex class name. :b

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Eh that isn't suck a big deal to me. Kinda makes things easier. What I wanna know is if the Western release is going to come eith the DLC downloaded already. Probably won't but it would be nice.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah. I meant to infer I like the change, to not be the odd-one out.

Also it's both kind of good and kind of bad that some people are hyped to play "the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon coming out".

Pakichu Noriwa

Smash Rookie
NNID
PakichuNoriwa
3DS FC
3153-4515-5524
I've already got EMD preordered, so I'm kinda impatient right now.

I was crying when I saw that EO2U was coming out this year. Now to wait for EOV to come out.

Hong

The Strongest
So, do you think the Wanderer class will be a must-have for the labyrinth in EMD? Of course, I specifically highlight their ability to tunnel through walls. If there's a floor with particularly annoying hazards and whatnot, it could be really nice to just be able to breeze on through.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Maybe, but isn't an unlockable class at first anyway? Probably won't be available till close to the end based on it being the unlockable listed.

Hong

The Strongest
Ah, unlockable huh? Well, in that case, hard to say. Maybe it will be reasonable like EO2 and give you the class option(s) early.

Really, though. I love Etrian Odyssey, but I wish you could have all your class options sooner.

Pakichu Noriwa

Smash Rookie
NNID
PakichuNoriwa
3DS FC
3153-4515-5524
I think with a class with an extremely potent ability as their's, it's likely they may end up unlockable.

It would certainly help with enemies who like to phase through walls like no one's business.

Hong

The Strongest
Since every level is going to be randomly generated, you always run the risk of getting something absurdly difficult or absurdly easy from what the designer intended. Could be fun.

Also EOIV is on sale on the eShop right now for $15. If you don't have it, buy it.

Pakichu Noriwa

Smash Rookie
NNID
PakichuNoriwa
3DS FC
3153-4515-5524
It would also help in finding stuff around the dungeon, and you don't have to rely on those bomb enemies that are risky to beat up anyways.

I already have IV and Untold, as well as PQ. I only got into the series a couple years ago, but it's a series I've grown to enjoy.

Hong

The Strongest

EMD 3DS theme. Comes out 3/31 in the Americas, and it's priced at $1.

Hong

The Strongest
Anyone else pick up EMD?

My first Mystery Dungeon game. At first I tried to play it like Etrian Odyssey straight up and suffered. Then I approached it with a fresh mindset and my goodness am I having fun.

Also:

OF I just found out about the arranged style bgm option in eou!
It's wonderful. The original soundtrack was just fine, but IMO the series only got better when they went with an orchestrated soundtrack.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
One of the dungeons in EMD plays a remix of the FOE theme. It makes me feel afraid ALL THE TIME T_T

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I seriosuly need to get in gear and get EOU2 pre-ordered. I wonder if selling Fantasy Life and Smash 4 3DS will get me enough to get a full paid-off pre-order for the game.

Also Bump.

And question for those of you who visit the thread. Do you think I should make a group for EO instead? Or do you think that would be even less active then this thread currently is?

Hong

The Strongest
I think it would be less active due to the people who either don't know of groups or don't use it.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm playing Untold again.

Core is a douchebag. Trying to think of offensive strats to beat it, and decided that the story party is actually decent enough to beat it rather than the classic uber defensive party I was using.

Hong

The Strongest
For North American explorers: EOIV is on sale on the 3DS eShop for $15 from now until July 21st. Likewise, while I don't recommend EMD, that too is on sale for $30 from now until the 21st.

I'm normally not too keen on pre-orders, but Atlus has a way of giving you a bunch of junkwondrous loot to sweeten the deal, thus I've put my dollar down for EOU2. Honestly I still need to get around to finishing the first Untold.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I have Untold 2 pre-ordered as well, though in my case it is about half of the whole price. And color me surprised when I found out how much it costed in total though.

Still don't have EMD yet. But have no current plans for it yet since I wanna save up for FE Fates and a PS4 for Bloodborne and the eventual Dark Souls 3 and SF5, and KH3 but I bet that is still far far off lol.

Goddammit 2015 to 2016 is too filled of games I want with too little money.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Etrain Odyssey Untold gave me so much joy playing that I played the demo of Untold 2. Not gonna lie, it feels weird for the story party to have one character with physical/elemental attacks. xD

My favorite character is between the Protagonist character or Chloe. One more day left. :D

Hong

The Strongest
Delivery date is slated a few weeks from now, for me. :<

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I am so glad the story party for EO2U in terms of class synergy is so much more fun/unique then in EOU. Although I do find Flavio to be a bit dead weight. Maybe if I change him to a gunner. But I also made the mistake of not reading how Efficiency works in this game compared to EOU and made the mistake of investing points to get it.

Bertrand is standard Protector.

Chloe seems like the healer but she goes about it in such a unique way (and praise the sun that she isn't a medic) and she seems like she can do other good stuff too. I've actually been tempted to try putting her in the front row instead of Arianna but Arianna's Link Order feels like it has too good of a synergy with Hero's Sabre skills, then again it also feels like it might take away from her doing other things.

Hero is really unique and is obviously a damage dealer with a focus on physical element attacks.

Flavio is just kinda.... there lol.

Arianna is support though she has some key differences from EO3 Prince/Princess and she feels a bit more offensive. Still tempted to switch her to back-row support though. Can't decided.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I am so glad the story party for EO2U in terms of class synergy is so much more fun/unique then in EOU. Although I do find Flavio to be a bit dead weight. Maybe if I change him to a gunner. But I also made the mistake of not reading how Efficiency works in this game compared to EOU and made the mistake of investing points to get it.

Bertrand is standard Protector.

Chloe seems like the healer but she goes about it in such a unique way (and praise the sun that she isn't a medic) and she seems like she can do other good stuff too. I've actually been tempted to try putting her in the front row instead of Arianna but Arianna's Link Order feels like it has too good of a synergy with Hero's Sabre skills, then again it also feels like it might take away from her doing other things.

Hero is really unique and is obviously a damage dealer with a focus on physical element attacks.

Flavio is just kinda.... there lol.

Arianna is support though she has some key differences from EO3 Prince/Princess and she feels a bit more offensive. Still tempted to switch her to back-row support though. Can't decided.
I decided to play story mode this time since I really like the party.

Anyways, Flavio helps Chloe, thanks to the Survivalists now having a few ailment inflicting arrows. It probably wouldn't hurt the party too much if you changed Flavio's class because of the changes to the War Magus. The War Magus can still do it's thing without someone else hitting enemies with ailments thanks to Random Disease and their Force Boost.

Right now, Arianna tends to be my main healer because of the healing when casting buffs as well as Protect Order. Chloe's heals are nice if I'm in a tight spot since they're guarantied to heal a some at the start of the turn. The Fafnir Knight deals explosive damage, and thanks to Arianna's Negotiate skill I can build force meter up quickly. Flavio is either inflicting ailments or getting some damage with Multi-shot, while Bertrand is usually falling back on grimoire skills for damage unless I really need the extra defense.

I may change some of the classes for the story mode party later, but I'll hold off on it for now. I'm actually looking forward to experimenting with grimoires this time, they've been improved so much. I have some ideas for my current party, I just need to wait for the skills I want to show up in grimoire trading.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
That was just quick first impressions basically, tbh. I've taken a closer look at the skills and I see how they each support one another a bit better now. But now they feel a bit spread out.

It is probably a case of me just not being used to this kind of team and figuring it out is gonna take me some time.

I've been using Chloe as my main healer though. But that is probs because her healing is more streamlined to me and I can't figure out what I want t do with Arianna and I have her points spread out a bit thinly as a byproduct.

And yea I see how Flavio is suppose to support Chloe but I've been building him to support Betrand more.

Party is weird but I like it and I will probably find myself resting a lot as I figure things out with it better (I already did it once, though that was to mainly fix my mistake with Flavio and get the party's levels streamlined better). This type of party is def new grounds for me.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm double posting but it has been a few days since the last post so I'm letting this serve as a bump as well.

I got to the 5th floor on story mode (yes I know some/a lot of people are like in 3rd stratum already or already done with the game but I like to take my sweet sweet time with these games and play them slowly) and took a crack at the boss.

Meh.

I'm just not feeling the story class composition. Like I get the idea behind it but the comp just feels bad on expert mode and is just so very support based and so very reliant on Fafnir Knight for damage (mostly because he is the only reliable damage dealer the party has) and I don't like reclassing at this stage in the game as catch-up requires to much effort. It doesn't help that I feel that the story party comp could have easily been fixed if they had used Hexer instead of a Survivalist so as to give Chloe actual reliability to use her War Edge skills to their fullest potential as just relying on Random Disease and Flavio's few aliment attacks just don't really cut (and aren't really as reliable as a Hexer's aliment infliction either).

So I decided to create a Classic file and make that my main gameplay focused play-through on expert and switch to picnic on Story so I can breaze through it so I can see what the actual story is like since I have taken a liking to the characters already but do not want to deal with a comp that makes me want to tear my hair out.

It is also funny as my classic mode party is actually very close to the story mode party with just the 2 differences being Highlander instead of Fafnir (Fafnir isn't available in classic obv, but I wasn't big on that class anyway [not to say I thought it was bad as I don't think it is, I just didn't like it that much for some reason]) and Hexer instead of Survivalist (Sovereign, Protector, and War Magus are all the same though) but I have been doing infintely better with it in expert then I was doing with the story party.

Hong

The Strongest
Running

Protector/Highlander/Sovereign
Gunner/Hexer

Expert/Classic. Even with all the damage from the Highlander/Gunner, bosses in this game just seem to be big balloons of health. Having a War Magus instead of a Sovereign could boost my damage in certain situations in combination with a Hexer, though I appreciate how much less attention the Sovereign takes to heal.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It's pretty hard to go wrong with a balance party (2 damage dealers, 1 healer, 1 Protector, and 1 other unit based on what your team need/you want).

Highlander|War Magus|Protector
Sovereign|Hexer

has been very solid so far for me. Only big problem is RNG (I swear ethe ****ing deers have the RNG rigged in their favor when they get their panic on me first try and I take a few turns to get them afflicted and then they recover way faster then I do) but even that hasn't been a super huge problem yet and I have been able to overcome RNG being against me for the most part so far.

Although I imagine that once I get to this boss called Scylla that I might end up ripping my hair out given what I've heard about this boss' alimient immunity to everything but poison and her poison resistance being high. That might test the limits of my party given how aliment focused it is.

Lack of solid elemental damage might also come back to bite me in the ass later as well.

But if any of that happens hopefully I'll be able to retire at that point for a bit of a more solid party at that stage of the game.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ I did the Hot Spring side quest, Arianna's portrait was so worth it. XD

☯ Currently enjoying story mode and like the remix soundtrack.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I made it to the third Stratum in my classic run not too long ago.

Flame Demon can go die in a hole of water or something.

Not a hard fight (I got him on the 4th try) just annoying ad you have to figure out the pattern. The thing that go me the most wasn't the Gels (I only got done in by them once due to not taking out the second group of them in time but after that I knew what to expect from them and made sure to kill ASAP) but was it ohkoing my back-row (it even ohko'd my freaking Sovereign which should be pretty durable due to advance armor and shield availability but nooooo not against that thing) it even with is single target fire attack which breaks up my rhythm and also occasionally ohkoing my WM and Hi with some kind of physical attack as well but the front row problem was an easy fix by getting some better armor. Backrow was a matter of figuring out the patter that it used its single fire attack.

One you get the boss' rhythm down it just becomes tedious.

Here's hoping the boss of the third stratum is more fun.

Also **** spiders. **** web shooting spiders. **** spider ladies. What is this Dark Souls? Goddamn ****ing spider ******* and their minions. At least I can make them burn though. Though I can't figure out the spider ***** puzzle so I can make her burn. Just bur them all.

Yea... I really hate spiders.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wow, it's been a while, hasn't it?
I'm on 4th Stratum in Story Mode right now. Scylla was a pain.

Top Bottom