• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
Once again just out of curiosity, how much money does the Warranty for a Wii U cost at EB Games, $30? $40?

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
Calling again tommorrow... seems repair is just the only feasable option in this mess at this point. I'm getting tired of waiting out on if this can be fixed in a patch or not. They'd better offer free repair from what I've been hearing around.

Last edited:

Xyekenvort

Smash Rookie
Yeah if anyone's having this issue, send your Wii U for repair now while Nintendo's offering free repairs plus shipping. That's what I did day one, but I still had my warranty intact :p

I made a backup of everything I had in my Wii U before I sent it, it sucks that's unlikely i'll ever get to use my saves again buy hey I can always hope xD

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Fed up waiting for some sort of update or announcement that everything is okay. It hasn't stopped me playing regular smash mode, but I have avoided everything else including online just to be on the safe side. I don't want to send my Wii U away over xmas.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
I don't have a clue m8, heard of people getting the error playing just about everything else but that mode. I have just been avoiding those modes incase. If I get it in smash mode then it will be my own fault. Up to you if you want to try or not.

Xyekenvort

Smash Rookie
So it is okay to just play regular smash mode, huh?
Although it would be wise to wait for Nintendo to do something about the error considering its randomness, like I said before, the actual chances of getting it are very slim.

It's already been confirmed that the origin of the error, although unknown, has nothing to do with any character or mode in-game. The error is almost certainly how the Wii U writes data into the flash memory, which is causing data corruption.

Just make sure to install every update Nintendo releases instantly. Have fun ;)

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I installed the update yesterday. Still I havent play smash and wont play unless an official statement is given. I wont instantly install new updates (because who knows, it might derp itself if its released in a hurry :p) until a few days passed.

Getting the error is not an option for me. I dont live in the US and theres no nintendo service to send the console.

I wonder if its possible to pass the saved data to an external memory? (Right now its inside my wii u)

Takitrugem

Smash Rookie
Now that the game has already been released in Japan for a while , does anyone know if these errors are also appearing in the Japanese version of the game?

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
Great news! I have setup a repair and I am eligible for free repair and shipping. I would suggest everyone else to do this as soon as possible while this free eligibility is available.

Fede24

Smash Rookie
I installed the update yesterday. Still I havent play smash and wont play unless an official statement is given. I wont instantly install new updates (because who knows, it might derp itself if its released in a hurry :p) until a few days passed.

Getting the error is not an option for me. I dont live in the US and theres no nintendo service to send the console.

I wonder if its possible to pass the saved data to an external memory? (Right now its inside my wii u)
You can get the error with USB, actually if your internal memory hasn't failed so far, I'm saying it's more likely it will with an USB.

My theory is that it has some weird read/write data thing, and if the memory is unstable, like certain faulty NAND chips, or USB pendrives which aren't recommended, then the save gets corrupted. But that's just my theory.

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't bear only looking at the game anymore so I just played it. Fortunately everything went fine, hopefully I won't get any error codes :smash:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I wonder, anyone who has gotten the error within their save data on an USB?

If so, if the save data is corrupt then, formatting the USB will make the error go away?

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I couldn't bear only looking at the game anymore so I just played it. Fortunately everything went fine, hopefully I won't get any error codes :smash:
Don't worry about getting any error codes. Getting them is a very small chance. I've played Smash a few times before without touching online & both the game and console are perfectly fine. Same goes for other games I own. Play away.

Fede24

Smash Rookie
I wonder, anyone who has gotten the error within their save data on an USB?

If so, if the save data is corrupt then, formatting the USB will make the error go away?
Me and someone else here got it in an USB. I haven't tried formatting as I'm preserving my save file just in case Nintendo releases a fix.

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
I've been searching all over fourms and asking people but they seem to not have any idea. Do any of you guys know how much a 1 Year Warranty at Gamestop costs for a Brand new Wii U? I've been people say it's around 39.99 but I need someone who knows the right price.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I've been searching all over fourms and asking people but they seem to not have any idea. Do any of you guys know how much a 1 Year Warranty at Gamestop costs for a Brand new Wii U? I've been people say it's around 39.99 but I need someone who knows the right price.
How about just asking Gamestop? They have a customer service for a reason.

Mordo

Smash Rookie
So I have some questions... as a guy who repairs gaming consoles, and PC's for a living. I want to know how many people here meet any of these situations.

• Do you use external storage? (Thumb drives)
  • Do you stand your system up vertically, or horizontally?
  • When you turned your system off last did you back out entirely to the title screen, or main menu?
  • Did you play online, or have online capabilities (Miiverse, leaderboards etc.) active on the game the error occurred to you on since the last time you played the game?
  • Do you store your console in an enclosed space?
  • Do you have automatic updates turned on?
No judging I'm simply attempting to help people figure out what's going on with the system, and where the error is stemming from. A lot of people seem to think that logically the error has to stem from a smash update, or corruption of the update data, and that may not be the case.
External storage - no
System - vertically
Last turn off - main menu
Online - yes. My error happened right after logging in online to Hyrule Warriors, which I had done before.
Enclosed space - no
Auto update - mmm... if that's the default, then yes. I don't recall turning that off.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
From my understanding this error isn't effecting the smash community in a large way. It's an unlucky free who have been hit by this error while playing smash.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
So I decided to play today, and everything is fine. Still a bit worried tho.
Yes, I've been playing with another pendrive.

I'm afraid I'm not seeing any updates on this issue...
Oh, nice to hear. I guess I will transfer my save data to an USB in any case.

I wonder, how can I set it so the wii u saves on a USB?

Planning to use my 16GB mini USB from kingston.

Also, what smash files do you have moved to the USB? Only the save file?

Last edited:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Was wondering the same thing. I guess this died out then?

No more reports of the error appearing on the newest system firmware?

SmashBall2012

Smash Rookie
NNID
MH1994
Doesn't seem like it to me.
I only recently played Smash Bros for Wii U for a single player match offline with Marth, Sonic, Fox and Wario on the Gamer stage, and after that, I just quit the game via the home menu at the title screen. Not a single error code in sight.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Someone has had the 160-0105 today. Hopefully a moderator will move the post to here as it is essentially the same as 160-0103.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Someone has had the 160-0105 today. Hopefully a moderator will move the post to here as it is essentially the same as 160-0103.
Where? Is there a link somewhere?

Im thinking of using a pendrive to pass the save data just in case.

What do I need to transfer to the usb? Saved data + shared data?

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Fixing the problem that is affecting consumers negatively will affect Nintendo negatively? Huh?
Don't joke here, Nintendo's been seen negatively from some people for many years. What about the current Amiibo fiasco? I'm already seeing them negatively now because of this along with other idiotic moves like cutting the WiFi for both the DS & Wii. Tell me, do you approve of these foolish moves or not?

THECONTESTKID

Smash Rookie
PROBLEM FIXED!!!

Hello everyone, here's my story about this error code (160-0103)

First: this is not a supposition, this is the action i took on this problem and helped me 100%

Second: for those who are expecting Nintendo to fix this issue by an update or patch, its in vain, please read this whole thing and I really hope you can get rid of your problem and keep using you Wii as it should be:

I got this error randomly on Nov 30th, the first thing I did I went to all the forums I know to see if the problem could be fix at home after that I called Nintendo with no luck and obviously I could delete the system update from smash saved file in data management, so I ended up with the hope that maybe Nintendo could release a patch and/or update so I waited for 1 week, finally while i was having lunch with my wife (both frustrated for not being able to play smash anymore) and thinking how to fix the problem, I just decided to call Nintendo and have a second conversation with a tech, this guy was nice (and here;s the key, you need to be patience, I called once as mentioned before and the guy just told me that I have to pay 100 dollars for the repair since my console was out of warranty, and I declined, if you don't like your first option just hang up and call again, try to find someone that is really willing to help, that's the way I do this kind of thinkg with any company (Walmart, Gamestop, amazon, etc),

so this second time i tried to be specific and have them realized that is not only me, i just explained him about the error code and the fact that my wii u was only affected by that update, so he explained me that for the troubleshooting performed THIS IS A HARDWARE ISSUE and they need to check the console to either replace the part or in the worst case scenario to send me back a replacement. at this point my only worry was my saved data, i ask him to take good care of that since there's too many hours spent on my games and i took care about my progress, OBVIOUSLY HE ONLY TOLD ME THAT THEY HAVE TO TAKE A LOOK BUT HE COULDN'T ASSURE ME THAT MY DATA COULD BE SAVE AT THIS POINT,

now let me tell you, that day I ended up sad after drop off my console at a UPS office, 'cause I knew I had to play and get all my progress in Mario World, Hyrule Warriors, all the 150 trophies I already had in Smash all the events once again, but i accepted the fact that is a hardware issue pretty much caused by turning off your Wii console without closing the software, and lets be specific: if the Wii U has an option called "CLOSE SOFTWARE" It's because you have to be gentle with the data and have the console shutdown all before turn it off, make sense? right?

OK so lets ended up this by saying that they opened me a Service Order #, they sent me a prepaid shipping label to send it via UPS 2 day super fast shipping, I waited exactly 7 days to received my Wii U back, and HERE'S THE GOOD THING: they ended up sending a new replacement and they did the job of transfer everything to the new console as i told this guy on the phone including Smash Bros, the only thing i had to do is to re download the digital games I had like Wind Waker and Wii U Party attached to mi Nintendo ID (already setup on the new Wii), all the DLCs were successfully transferred, and since this is a new console IS WORKING JUST PERFECT!!! no problems at all. and everything at NO COST (0)!! COVERED 100% BY NINTENDO INCLUDING SHIPPING

I tried to cover all i did and hope help everyone to take action and have their Wii Repaired/Replaced, but if you have a question let me know.

Nintendo has the way to save everything when they know the problem comes from their end, I know every case is different but if you are referring here about Smash update and data corruption, they will take good care of your saved data, remember better be safe that sorry, before send the console to Nintendo connect a USB to your Nintendo and make a backup, just to be safe.

any questions let me know.

Regards
The Contest Kid
IT Professional

Last edited:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I was hoping it was possible to fix it without involving nintendo, as where I live, such thing as tech support doesn't exists (im not in the US)

Still, nice to hear you got it fixed.

Also people mentioned they got the error too even when they always close the software.

Top Bottom