• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

Fede24

Smash Rookie
I've updated my Wii U and with another pendrive the game works, but I lost my save file, and who knows if the error won't just show up again at any time...

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
So, my friend at Nintendo told me this: 5.3.2 won't fix the "160-" errors if you already have them, but it is to prevent future issues for people who have not gotten the error. They are still looking into the issue to see the cause and to see if they can reverse it.
I very much doubt this... people are still getting errors and if this prevented future issues, Nintendo would be screaming it from rooftops.

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
I very much doubt this... people are still getting errors and if this prevented future issues, Nintendo would be screaming it from rooftops.
I'm relaying the information as it was given. He said that's what they will tell you if you call customer service.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
This JUST happened to me this morning. All other games work except for Smash Bros.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
On the newest system update? :(
The problem occurred before I updated to the new firmware. After I saw the error code today and updated, it still didn't work. I couldn't delete the game data either.

It appears to be an issue with powering off the console during auto-save. This happened when I was clearing challenges offline.

I have no choice but to send my console to Nintendo for repairs.

Last edited:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
The problem occurred before I updated to the new firmware. After I saw the error code today and updated, it still didn't work. I couldn't delete the game data either.

It appears to be an issue with powering off the console during auto-save. This happened when I was clearing challenges offline.

I have no choice but to send my console to Nintendo for repairs.
Oh I see. Supposedly the newer firmware prevents the error codes, not fix them. They are supposedly trying to see if they can fix wii u with the error codes.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Why do you think that?
For a number of reasons:
  • The last time I played, I was only clearing challenges offline. I think I powered off the console without going back to the menu screen.
  • Smash Bros is the only game that won't load. I can load other games fine.
  • I can't delete the game data for Smash Bros (an error occurs prompting me to restart the system).
  • Updating to the latest firmware today after seeing the problem didn't fix anything.
TL;DR: The problem has nothing to do with playing online.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I think the issue is much more complicated than Auto-saving.
I, for one, can delete Save Data and Shared Data from Data Management just fine. I can even create new save files is Smash just fine.
My problem is with the Smash Bros. Update Data. When trying to access it, I am hit with 160-0103.
This also happens in every mode, when uploading custom fighters, and online.
I can navigate to all modes, and even view my records.
I believe this is a multi-layered issue that goes much deeper than corrupted Save Data.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
I think the issue is much more complicated than Auto-saving.
I, for one, can delete Save Data and Shared Data from Data Management just fine. I can even create new save files is Smash just fine.
My problem is with the Smash Bros. Update Data. When trying to access it, I am hit with 160-0103.
This also happens in every mode, when uploading custom fighters, and online.
I can navigate to all modes, and even view my records.
I believe this is a multi-layered issue that goes much deeper than corrupted Save Data.
I couldn't even access the game.

In any case, Nintendo offered to repair the console for free (shipping included) even though my console is out of warranty (got it at launch). The problem now is the 4-6 week turnaround period due to the holidays coming up.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I couldn't even access the game.

In any case, Nintendo offered to repair the console for free (shipping included) even though my console is out of warranty (got it at launch). The problem now is the 4-6 week turnaround period due to the holidays coming up.
What? For free? That's awesome I got mine at launch too. I called them before any acknowledgement of the error was given, and they quoted me $104. I'll call again tomorrow to see what they say.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
There is a person on GameFAQs claiming they got the error code and had downloaded the update. Take that as you will.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Man there is absolutely no primary cause for this occurring. I miss playing the game and I'm ready to say **** it and just play it again, but I really don't want this crap to happen on my Wii U. I'm sorry to everyone who got this error, but I wish Nintendo could search into whats going on and give a definite reason as to why this is happening

How common would you guys say this error is now?

I played my Wii U a TON since launch. I'm still worried that I may be affected.

Last edited:

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
How common would you guys say this error is now?

I played my Wii U a TON since launch. I'm still worried that I may be affected.
I thought I wouldn't get it and paid no attention to all of this. I hadn't played for nearly a week due to Finals and upon playing online yesterday I got the error code too. Much like OP my last match was lagging terribly however I stuck with it and won the match. I played some offline versus with my roommate after but once he got bored I tried going back to For Glory only to get 160-0105 (same as 160-0103 just that the corrupt data is on your external hard drive instead of Wii U which prompts a different error code but the same issues). I could not get to the Smash menus after that point no matter how often I tried to restart. There's also nothing wrong with my hard drive.

Going into data management and trying to move and delete Smash Update data was futile. I would not risk playing online. I updated to 5.3.2 after and it did nothing. My roommate had been playing on the Wii U all week so I assume whatever critical update would have been on the Wii U already.

I can play any game but Smash now but that's not much of a victory. My advice to you, don't play Smash until this is fixed. People have been saying it's not caused by Smash but it's clear that it's the Update data that is corrupt and causing this.

I thought I wouldn't get it and paid no attention to all of this. I hadn't played for nearly a week due to Finals and upon playing online yesterday I got the error code too. Much like OP my last match was lagging terribly however I stuck with it and won the match. I played some offline versus with my roommate after but once he got bored I tried going back to For Glory only to get 160-0105 (same as 160-0103 just that the corrupt data is on your external hard drive instead of Wii U which prompts a different error code but the same issues). I could not get to the Smash menus after that point no matter how often I tried to restart. There's also nothing wrong with my hard drive.

Going into data management and trying to move and delete Smash Update data was futile. I would not risk playing online. I updated to 5.3.2 after and it did nothing. My roommate had been playing on the Wii U all week so I assume whatever critical update would have been on the Wii U already.

I can play any game but Smash now but that's not much of a victory. My advice to you, don't play Smash until this is fixed. People have been saying it's not caused by Smash but it's clear that it's the Update data that is corrupt and causing this.
Got it. Thanks, and I hope your system gets fixed!

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
Haven't got the game yet, now i'm afraid to play it :(

Hope this will get fixed soon.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Im still on 5.2. Still on the fence to even turn on the console...

It seems that this new system updates feels like a test, since it was quickly released, to see if it would stop errors, and why nintendo didnt specifically mentioned the error code (like they did with MKTV error code fix)

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I assume it's effecting enough players for Nintendo to release an official update.

So I have a bit of an update. I can access certain modes, but there are some things that trigger the issue for me.
-Luigi
-Mario
-ZSS
-Marth
-Meta Knight
-All other characters work in standard matches
-Creating Mii Fighters
-uploading 3DS customs

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
I'll receive the game tmr

Should I play it?

No, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no.........:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Xyekenvort

Smash Rookie
I'll receive the game tmr

Should I play it?

No, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no.........:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Considering the randomness of the error, it would be wise to wait for an update that 100% prevents the error.

We still don't know how the newest updates help with the issue...

Patongi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Patongi
I've been playing since EU release.
I think that people are way too paranoid of this error, error has been happening for people way before Smash release anyway.

Sure it's always good to be safe tho.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I've been playing since EU release.
I think that people are way too paranoid of this error, error has been happening for people way before Smash release anyway.

Sure it's always good to be safe tho.
The problem is no one knows what error code 160 true purpose is. It might as well be an error coded to be shown when an unknown error that cant be identified with the defined error codes appears.

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
I'm about to buy a Wii U in a couple of days so would not connecting to the Internet be a good idea so the Wii U wouldn't have to update or does it even matter? I'm talking about that huge update with the Wii U that's like 4GBs, not sure if it requires Internet though.

Xyekenvort

Smash Rookie
I'm about to buy a Wii U in a couple of days so would not connecting to the Internet be a good idea so the Wii U wouldn't have to update or does it even matter? I'm talking about that huge update with the Wii U that's like 4GBs, not sure if it requires Internet though.
As soon as you get it, establish an internet connection and update it IMMEDIATELY. Only then you put Smash in.

Have fun ;)

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
As soon as you get it, establish an internet connection and update it IMMEDIATELY. Only then you put Smash in.

Have fun ;)
Was planning on updating it in the background while playing Smash since it's going to take like 7 hours to download or is that a bad idea? Plus I heard downloading it from the Background is a much better option in case your Wii U gets Bricked by the lights going off which I doubt is going to happen, but just going to do it anyways.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
So I have some news.
Nintendo is giving me a free repair because of this error, it was originally $104, but I called back and that's what they offering me now. This also comes with a 12 month warranty, so if anything happens, it's covered.
If you guys are getting this error call Nintendo and get a quote for repairs, they are being extremely generous in this offer.
The only downside is that this may take up to 6 weeks to get your console back.
But Nintendo is being pretty awesome about all of this. It's good to know they have this covered.
Side note: My console isn't under a warranty, I bought it about 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
So I have some news.
Nintendo is giving me a free repair because of this error, it was originally $104, but I called back and that's what they offering me now. This also comes with a 12 month warranty, so if anything happens, it's covered.
If you guys are getting this error call Nintendo and get a quote for repairs, they are being extremely generous in this offer.
The only downside is that this may take up to 6 weeks to get your console back.
But Nintendo is being pretty awesome about all of this. It's good to know they have this covered.
Side note: My console isn't under a warranty, I bought it about 2 years ago.
In other words, exactly what they offered me. Did they offer you free 2 day shipping?

Robotoboy

Smash Rookie
So I have some questions... as a guy who repairs gaming consoles, and PC's for a living. I want to know how many people here meet any of these situations.

• Do you use external storage? (Thumb drives)
  • Do you stand your system up vertically, or horizontally?
  • When you turned your system off last did you back out entirely to the title screen, or main menu?
  • Did you play online, or have online capabilities (Miiverse, leaderboards etc.) active on the game the error occurred to you on since the last time you played the game?
  • Do you store your console in an enclosed space?
  • Do you have automatic updates turned on?
No judging I'm simply attempting to help people figure out what's going on with the system, and where the error is stemming from. A lot of people seem to think that logically the error has to stem from a smash update, or corruption of the update data, and that may not be the case.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
So I have some questions... as a guy who repairs gaming consoles, and PC's for a living. I want to know how many people here meet any of these situations.

• Do you use external storage? (Thumb drives)
  • Do you stand your system up vertically, or horizontally?
  • When you turned your system off last did you back out entirely to the title screen, or main menu?
  • Did you play online, or have online capabilities (Miiverse, leaderboards etc.) active on the game the error occurred to you on since the last time you played the game?
  • Do you store your console in an enclosed space?
  • Do you have automatic updates turned on?
No judging I'm simply attempting to help people figure out what's going on with the system, and where the error is stemming from. A lot of people seem to think that logically the error has to stem from a smash update, or corruption of the update data, and that may not be the case.
-Thumb Drives: No
-Console orientation: Horizontal
-Title Screen Exit: Yes
-Online 6 hours before error occurred
-Enclosed: No
-Auto-Update: Yes

TimLikesTrains

Smash Rookie
NNID
TimPrater
3DS FC
1220-6693-9429
I just called and I'm good to ship and get repaired for free. Still a drag though. The only reason I bought a Wii U and I can't even play it correctly. I was even a victim of the Super Smash Brothers Brawl problem with Wii's not being able to read Dual Layered Discs correctly. Unlucky Probs.

Top Bottom