• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Equipment Explanation, and Why it's Probably not Tournament Viable

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did experiment with the speed and defense adjustments a little more, and here's what I've noticed...

1. Speed boosting equipment not only makes the character faster on the ground, but he/she is more mobile in the air as well.
  2. A higher speed stat also makes the fighter jump higher than normal.
  3. Defense boosting equipment not only slows down the fighter's ground speed, but it also affects the fighter's jumping height.
  4. Lower speed also seems to slow down aerial mobility.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4's going to be an excellent game for both casual and the competitive scene, I've seen enough matches to see that. But I feel that certain aspects could be better, with high landing lag on certain moves, I feel that characters are limited in some spacing options (like Bowser's Nair), which considering how universally important spacing is to the meta of this game, limits its future. In addition, spacing techniques involving pivoting were recently discovered, but present a high difficulty for learning (and this is very important for those who want to space well at the high level play). Enter equipment effects like the Hard Braker ("stop your dash on a dime") and the Smooth lander (lowers landing lag). These tools alone allow for a even deeper spacing metagame for the future because they allow the potential movement techniques to become easier to learn for the average player and give more flexibility for characters to use more of their moveset to space. If you still space improperly on a shield you will be still punished for it, but you will have more tools at with to attack your opponent. In addition, if your opponent fails to space properly, your ability to punish them is greatly increased because lower landing lag results in the ability to do more combos thus get more damage and kills more reliably and quickly. This benefits the future meta of the game, a meta I'm extremely excited to participate and learn alongside new people to the competitive community. That being said...

Custom equipment will be BANNED because they come with random stats and effects assigned to them that greatly impact character performance in game. It is far too challenging to request TOs to get the proper equipment effects and balance the stats perfectly at 0 attack defense and speed on EVERY Wii U console used in tournament. Thus, we should press Nintendo and Namco to release a DLC equipment piece that enables the effects above without any stat modifications.

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
Thought I'd mention something I noticed in the 3DS version of the game.

There is a "Wii U" option on the main menu. If you select it, it takes you to a screen that says: "You can exchange custom fighters or use your Nintendo 3DS as a Wii U controller."

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Good news fellas, Datel is working on Powers. Unfortunately so far it looks like they just did very basic +200 to stats stuff so far. No unlocking smooth lander or anything.
Oh, wonderful.

So my suspicion that creating equipment with completely illegal stat spreads via cheating would be possible is true. If they ever have more official tournaments that permit custom gear, I imagine that's going to be a huge issue...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My coverage thread for Rosalina does come included with a equipment list that consists of equipment that Rosalina is capable of using.

http://smashboards.com/threads/366494/#post-17480747

I haven't really be keeping track of the other equipment sub-types much though.

Edit: I've created an Excel document, consisting of equipment that Rosalina is able to use. Most of the equipment is what I've collected.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OhjVu7-7SUUHOEiXg5LcGc-uv8Tegk115Fp0ssbjSFs/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Revan_23

Brookman's Apprentice
Can someone please explain to me why we can't make an official tournament save file that everyone can download and use? It would include Smooth Lander (2/3 aerial landing lag), Hard Braker (Enables Dash Dancing reduces slipping while running, allowing for quicker turnarounds), and Dodgy Dodger (reduces time you're invulnerable while dodging).

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Saves have to be used on the cart(or rom) they were made on.

Datel would need to make a cheat for those, which wouldn't be too hard to get them to if the community decided to want it. (and overall better than a save as it can mess things up down the line if that many people use the same rom id online) though I gotta say would it be worth the effort? Can it be transferred to wii u?

Last edited:
Top Bottom