• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Equipment Dropped, why this may not be as random as we believe.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Run Information:
* = Run that got equipment that applies to character defeated

! = Run that got equipment that applies to both defeated and used character

pit: swift sandals x2**

(restarted)

mac: rosa speed crasher box gloves stylish clothes *

shulk: luci zard

zelda: puff stylish boots !

DK/diddy/mario: ness hqbanana*

miis: duck hunt hip gloves*

sheik: stylish boots silver shield jiggly

olimar: wft exp boots !

ness bowser olimar: marth glider shoes*

yoshi: pit unharmed attacker boots !

miis: double final smasher block mario

core: stylish boots deluxe turbo

duck hunt: insult injury zapper sup pro badge quick batter collar*

(restarted)

fox: falco greninja veteran jacket *

falcon toon link: vet jacket expensive boots iron shell !

bowser/jr mario: designer pumps shield healer staff hard braker gloves *

palutena: shield reflect sandals bowjr megam*

Character used: Mii fighter

Even if we ignore the ! runs (In hindsight i should've used a char like rob with very unique equipment)

That's 9/19 instances where I received equipment that was mostly specific to the opponent. I've been noticing this for a while and am just now compiling data. But that's too high when we're ignoring the ever-common boots to say the algorithm is totally ignorant of what character's you're fighting.

It seems rather conclusive for me who's been noticing this anecdotally for a while, so if we assume who you fight as/against effects the likelihood of drops so dramatically, it's probably worth it to use the character you want the equipment for(or one with the equipment type you want), and choose to fight characters that have the type of equipment you want for an overlap to minimize the amount of variables.

This should probably help people avoid getting flooded by boots and other common equipment if true.

I will do more runs to confirm with G&W later, who aside from badges has 3 very specific equipment categories. So next time I'll have a more accurate run. I'd also appreciate any data collected from others on this.

Please don't leave out the ability of the item, as I believe that those may be tied to characters as well. Which is why I'm looking into this and not just playing Trophy Rush/Target Smash =p

Last edited:

Thani

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I too have noticed the very obvious trend of receiving items relating to your opponents. I've stopped doing exclusively Red paths when I see another route has a franchise whose gear I am aiming for.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Similarly, custom move drops are weighted towards the character you're using, and you get more drops in Smash Run if you're playing with more human players (according to a tip). Though I think this largely just means it's easier to target your grinding, rather than reducing the randomness in a way that would make them standardizable.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm guessing that if I want to grind for dress and pumps equipment, I'd have to face Peach or Rosalina a lot. As for staff equipment, Rosalina or Palutena.

Of course, I'm curious if all equipment sub-types are able to utilize all the extra effects; it would actually be quite amusing to pick up some Sprinter Pumps.

Edit: I did at least one Smash Run with Peach and Zelda as my opponents. It didn't exactly improve my odds of getting dress equipment. I didn't even get any Toad or Magic Stone equipment.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Cross posting from the Equipment Explanation Thread:

I'm playing in Japanese, so I'm guessing on the names. I included the Japanese/English list I made as a reference below.

Here's some data (All on 9.0, and all as Pac-Man to control. Please note, I only included the special effects for Classic as I received a ton of equipment):

Versus R.O.B and Charizard (As Pac-Man with Mario) Improved Dodge Ability Booster

Versus Bowser Jr: Weakened Shield Regeneration Jacket

Versus Ness: Ray Gun Equipped Hat

Versus Mega-Man: Improved Attack After Eating Helmet

Versus Wario: The Extended Respawn Invincibility Overalls

Versus Yoshi: Easier edge grabs Gloves

Versus Metal Yoshi: Power Up Eating Egg

Versus Metal Shiek: Bob-omb Equipped Shoes

Versus Mii Fighters: Blue Path: Improved Air Defense Speed Badge, Stronger Item Throws Hammer, Stronger Item Throw Alien Clothes

Versus Master Core: Fire Flower Overalls, Decreased Edge-grab Duration Gloves

Versus Giant Wii Fit Trainer: Improved Double Jump Clothes

Smash Run (As Pac-Man)

(Versus 3 Peaches, in Army Battle): Arm Canon, Double Dash Mushroom, High Quality Coat [No Special Effects]

Trophy Rush (As Pac-Man)

Improved Air Defense Gloves

Improved Defense in Crisis Shoes

Bob-omb equippedStart battles with a Bob-omb. Just don't hold on to it for too long...ボムへいを持ち込む最初から「ボムへい」を持っている しばらくすると爆発し、周りに大ダメージ

Improved double jump1.3x midair jump height.空中ジャンプ強化空中からのジャンプの高さが1.3倍になる

Decreased edge-grab durationHang on to the edges of stages for half as long.ガケつかまり時間ダウンガケにつかまっていられる時間が半分になる

Stronger item throws- 1.5x attack power to thrown items.アイテム投げアップアイテムを投げてぶつけた時の 攻撃力が1.5倍になる

Ray Gun equipped-Start battles with a Ray Gun. Blast your foes with lasers!レイガンを持ちこ込む最初から「レイガン」を持っている スピードの弾を発射できる

Improved air defense-0.75x damage received when in midair.空中防御アップ空中にいる時、 受けるダメージが0.75倍になる

Improved defense in a crisisTake 0.33x damage for 20 seconds when damage reaches 100%.ピンチで防御アップ蓄積ダメージが100%以上になると 20び秒間受けるダメージが0.33倍になる

Improved dodge ability-Gives a little extra time to dodge an enemy attack.らくらく回避相手の攻撃を、 緊急回避でかわしやすくなる

Fire Flower equipped-Start battles with a Fire Flower. Roast your enemies!ファイアフラワーを持ち込む最初から「ファイアフラワー」を持っている 目の前に炎をまいて、続けて攻撃できる

Extended respawn invincibility-Invincibility will last three times as long after being KO'd.ミス後無敵のばしミスして復活した後の、 無敵時間が3倍になる

Power up after eating-Attack, defense, and speed rise gradually for 15 seconds after eating food.たべるといろいろアップたべものをたべると、15秒間 攻撃・防御・移動スピードがすこ少しずつ上がる
Improved attack after eating-1.4x attack power for 15 seconds after eating food.たべると攻撃アップたべものをたべると、 15秒間ワザの攻撃力が1.4倍になる

Weakened shield regeneration-Recharge your shield more slowly.シールド回復ダウンシールドの耐久力が回復しにくくなる

Easier edge grabs-Increased range for grabbing stage edges.ガケつかまりやすしガケからは離れていても、 ガケつかまりになる範囲が広くなる

Last edited:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I have no interest in equipment so it doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Synzer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Synzer
3DS FC
0817-4230-0108
I'm guessing that if I want to grind for dress and pumps equipment, I'd have to face Peach or Rosalina a lot. As for staff equipment, Rosalina or Palutena.

Of course, I'm curious if all equipment sub-types are able to utilize all the extra effects; it would actually be quite amusing to pick up some Sprinter Pumps.

Edit: I did at least one Smash Run with Peach and Zelda as my opponents. It didn't exactly improve my odds of getting dress equipment. I didn't even get any Toad or Magic Stone equipment.
Smash Run is different. From my experience, and I've played a LOT of Smash Run, you have a higher chance to get equipment/customizations for the character you're playing as. Not always, but a higher chance.

I have no interest in equipment so it doesn't affect me one way or the other.
Not to be rude, but was it really necessary to comment that this has no effect on you?

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, I too have noticed the very obvious trend of receiving items relating to your opponents. I've stopped doing exclusively Red paths when I see another route has a franchise whose gear I am aiming for.
Wait, what's the difference between the different colored paths on the Classic Mode overworld map?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It's an opinion that's not worth sharing, because it's basically saying "I don't care about this topic", in which case nothing needs to be said at all.

In any case, even though you can influence the types of equipment you get, getting the right equipment type with the right abilities is still a problem.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
New Theory: The ability you get depends on the stage played (which is usually the series too). After a week of trying to get smooth lander, I get it twice. Both times on balloon fight stage. And one hard braker from mute city. Have others but don't know where i got them from.

Side note, one of the smooth landings was actually for my main! Who I wasn't even using at the time! Lucky...

Got the +200 all badges from powersave, so with bowser most matches are over in less than 5 hits and he cant really be killed by normal means.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
...They really need do something about hacked equipment usage in Classic and Smash Run, because it allows for high scores that are better then anything that can be obtained with legitimate equipment.

Moreso because being able to transfer fighters to the Wii U version is going to let people screw up the GSP in that version, as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom