Epitome of Surviving Horror: Leon for Smash Switch

Brother AJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Brother_AJ
Horror isn't completely absent from Smash. Fatal Frame has an assist trophy and a handful of spirits, so Sakurai isn't totally turned off from the idea of Smash having content from horror games.
True, but you don’t see any of the ghosts unfortunately. It is a bit reassuring though. RE protags don’t necessarily do horrific things. The horrific things are the monsters, and what they do to the protags. As long as they tone down the monsters I feel like they can pull it off.

3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
NNID
NapoleonPlays
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Me too. That's part of what worries me as well. Maybe Sakurai doesn't think horror belongs in Smash. It would explain such a notable absence of the franchise.
I don't see the absense of Horror as a specifically intended idea.
Sure, maybe Sakurai was never inspired.
Or maybe his high work ethic just required a list of characters from Nintendo: for him to concretely decide to sit down and attempt to make character work, rather than wait for inspiration to hit while working on dozens of other tasks.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised that this thread have only 3 pages of discussion. I think Leon have more chances of being in than others realised. His franchises his from Capcom and considering how many franchises Capcom already have in Smash, there's no way they will not accept having another one in Ultimate. Also Resident evil is getting a lot of games on switch. Resident evil is also one of the biggest Japanese franchises not already in smash now that we have Dragon quest. Leon could also represent a genre of game that his not already in smash (survival horror) and his franchises his closer to Nintendo than some people realise because of some Nintendo exclusives like Resident evil 4 and both Revelations. He's not a lock, but he have a lot of things for him.

His biggest competition would be either Phoenix Wright or Doomguy, because I doubt they would put two Capcom characters or two fighters based around guns in the fighter pass.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, count me in as a supporter! I wasn't always for Leon being added, as I felt he couldn't really bring much to the table, but after finally giving in due to an extremely long time of slowly warming up to him, I really saw what actually be done with him/a resident evil character! I feel like I like Jill a tiny bit more than him, but he's definitely a very close second now. I even managed to draft up a moveset for him!

Leon Kennedy Moveset.jpg

Feel free to use it in the OP if you would like, as well as add me to the list of supporters, if there is one!

EDIT: The image was too large to render propperly on smashboards, so here's a link to the full image in the correct resolution! https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/48869063077/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:
Hey guys, count me in as a supporter! I wasn't always for Leon being added, as I felt he couldn't really bring much to the table, but after finally giving in due to an extremely long time of slowly warming up to him, I really saw what actually be done with him/a resident evil character! I feel like I like Jill a tiny bit more than him, but he's definitely a very close second now. I even managed to draft up a moveset for him!

View attachment 241356

Feel free to use it in the OP if you would like, as well as add me to the list of supporters, if there is one!
Moveset looks cool but it's hard to read some of the smaller text. Do you have a high resolution version?

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Moveset looks cool but it's hard to read some of the smaller text. Do you have a high resolution version?
Thanks! I'll see what I can do, but I'm honestly not sure. Smashboards is notorious for destroying images, which is especially evident, because the resolution for that image is NORMALLY the highest you can go for most websites. I'll try and find a link to a different website though, hopefully that will work.

EDIT: linked the original moveset post to the image on Flickr!

Last edited: