• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epitome of Surviving Horror: Leon for Smash Switch

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Horror isn't completely absent from Smash. Fatal Frame has an assist trophy and a handful of spirits, so Sakurai isn't totally turned off from the idea of Smash having content from horror games.
True, but you don’t see any of the ghosts unfortunately. It is a bit reassuring though. RE protags don’t necessarily do horrific things. The horrific things are the monsters, and what they do to the protags. As long as they tone down the monsters I feel like they can pull it off.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Me too. That's part of what worries me as well. Maybe Sakurai doesn't think horror belongs in Smash. It would explain such a notable absence of the franchise.
I don't see the absense of Horror as a specifically intended idea.
Sure, maybe Sakurai was never inspired.
Or maybe his high work ethic just required a list of characters from Nintendo: for him to concretely decide to sit down and attempt to make character work, rather than wait for inspiration to hit while working on dozens of other tasks.

StormC

Smash Hero
This is a good video about Leon in Smash.

Been going through RE4, safe to say Leon might be my most wanted character for the Fighters Pass, alongside Crash Bandicoot. Here's hoping.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Recently played through the RE2 Remake (it's glorious) and my desire to see Leon in Smash has been reinvigorated.

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, if Leon gets in, I totally want this scene recreated but with K. Rool:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm surprised that this thread have only 3 pages of discussion. I think Leon have more chances of being in than others realised. His franchises his from Capcom and considering how many franchises Capcom already have in Smash, there's no way they will not accept having another one in Ultimate. Also Resident evil is getting a lot of games on switch. Resident evil is also one of the biggest Japanese franchises not already in smash now that we have Dragon quest. Leon could also represent a genre of game that his not already in smash (survival horror) and his franchises his closer to Nintendo than some people realise because of some Nintendo exclusives like Resident evil 4 and both Revelations. He's not a lock, but he have a lot of things for him.

His biggest competition would be either Phoenix Wright or Doomguy, because I doubt they would put two Capcom characters or two fighters based around guns in the fighter pass.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, count me in as a supporter! I wasn't always for Leon being added, as I felt he couldn't really bring much to the table, but after finally giving in due to an extremely long time of slowly warming up to him, I really saw what actually be done with him/a resident evil character! I feel like I like Jill a tiny bit more than him, but he's definitely a very close second now. I even managed to draft up a moveset for him!

Leon Kennedy Moveset.jpg

Feel free to use it in the OP if you would like, as well as add me to the list of supporters, if there is one!

EDIT: The image was too large to render propperly on smashboards, so here's a link to the full image in the correct resolution! https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/48869063077/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:

NIckynickreviews

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, count me in as a supporter! I wasn't always for Leon being added, as I felt he couldn't really bring much to the table, but after finally giving in due to an extremely long time of slowly warming up to him, I really saw what actually be done with him/a resident evil character! I feel like I like Jill a tiny bit more than him, but he's definitely a very close second now. I even managed to draft up a moveset for him!

View attachment 241356

Feel free to use it in the OP if you would like, as well as add me to the list of supporters, if there is one!
Moveset looks cool but it's hard to read some of the smaller text. Do you have a high resolution version?

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Moveset looks cool but it's hard to read some of the smaller text. Do you have a high resolution version?
Thanks! I'll see what I can do, but I'm honestly not sure. Smashboards is notorious for destroying images, which is especially evident, because the resolution for that image is NORMALLY the highest you can go for most websites. I'll try and find a link to a different website though, hopefully that will work.

EDIT: linked the original moveset post to the image on Flickr!

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Oh yeah, sign me up as a supporter! Though I’ve only played a little bit of the Resident Evil games, I always thought Leon looked like one of the coolest characters Capcom has made. I don’t know if he’s the fifth character in the Pass, but I do think his chances are grossly underrated.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
With the Game awards coming soon, I think Leon would be the perfect Smash announcement for the last character of the fighter pass. Because the Game awards is an event that everyone watch (not just Nintendo fan like a Nintendo direct but every gamer), if they want to announce a fighter at this event they need something that will appeal to a wide public. I think this is why last year they announced Joker, a character from a game exclusive to Sony console (and that most Persona game are Sony exclusives).

Leon has a very big story with Nintendo, but Resident evil overall is also strongly associated with Playstation. Also Resident evil 2 is nominated for GOTY and other categories. I really think that Leon would be not only a perfect ending for the fighter pass, but a perfect Game awards announcement.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
With the Game awards coming soon, I think Leon would be the perfect Smash announcement for the last character of the fighter pass. Because the Game awards is an event that everyone watch (not just Nintendo fan like a Nintendo direct but every gamer), if they want to announce a fighter at this event they need something that will appeal to a wide public. I think this is why last year they announced Joker, a character from a game exclusive to Sony console (and that most Persona game are Sony exclusives).

Leon has a very big story with Nintendo, but Resident evil overall is also strongly associated with Playstation. Also Resident evil 2 is nominated for GOTY and other categories. I really think that Leon would be not only a perfect ending for the fighter pass, but a perfect Game awards announcement.
I think so too as well. At this point I think Resident Evil is the strongest contender to end the pass.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, this is honestly a shock to me, I thought the odds for RE were really good.

Here's hoping RE2 scores big at TGA to make up for it, already voted for it as GOTY.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Leon's voice actor from the original RE2 has passed away. Rest in peace.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, back again with a slight reworking of my original Leon moveset! Now that Min min is here, what does everyone think of Leon's chances of becoming playable, despite being a spirit? Do post-launch spirits still get the shaft, or are all spirits free game now?

Leon Moveset.jpg

Just like the first version, here's a link to the image elsewhere, so that you can see a higher resolution of it! (though even then you may need to download it from there in order to see some of the finest print...): https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/50059703627/in/dateposted-public/

Thanks!

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see my man Leon has one here. He’s my most wanted for Smash, though like others have said, I wonder how him being involved in a post-launch spirit event affects his chances.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To commemorate it's 5th anniversary, I discovered what Your Name's Japanese title "Kimi No Na Wa" mean in English.
EwWc77iVcAEyuwK.jpeg

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Considering Sephiroth was added partially to promote the Final Fantasy 7 remake, I don't think it's farfetched to presume that Leon could be added to promote the Resident Evil 2 remake. Also, from what I've heard, Resident Evil 8 was a pretty huge success. I watched a streamer play Resident Evil 8 and thought it was pretty cool; the villains are very eccentric and well fleshed out. For the most part, all the newcomers and DLC fighers in Smash Ultimate have been some pretty big names from very popular games. That said, I'll be surprised if Leon or another Resident Evil character wasn't at least considered. From what I've researched, Leon is practically the Cloud Strife of Resident Evil. Despite not appearing in the first title, he is widely considered the most popular character in the series.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a Resident Evil character in Smash, since I really like the series for the puzzle solving and the survival element. To reflect upon the Resident Evil series, I could see Leon having limited ammunition--and like Robin would be vulnerable until he restocked. Like Snake, he'd probably use lots of explosives. I personally would like to see the flamethrower and the bowgun in Leon's moveset. Also, just like in the Resident Evil games, Leon's movement could be hindered once his damage at 80% or so. He could be extremely dangerous at 0% damage, but once his damage % is high enough, he can easily be rushed down.

These are mine thoughts, at any rate.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Leon, Jill, and Nemesis were added to Dead By Daylight as part of their Resident Evil crossover event, along with the Raccoon City Police Department as a stage.

This site's supposed to have more info, though it's not working right now: https://residentevil.deadbydaylight.com/

They'll be available to purchase on June 15th.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Leon is my most wanted character I really love RE4 and I think he'll get the Min Min treatment. I dont think the DLC Board deconfirmed RE Rep. Capcom Roster in Smash Ultimate is a bit stale without their second big hitter franchise RE in this generation.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I still think the Resident evil spirits pretty much killed Leon (or any RE characters) chance in Smash. You could argue that the Heihachi costume releasing before Kazuya might mean that Resident evil have a chance, but the thing with Mii costume is that they're not officially part of the fighter pack so they can throw them everywhere they want. The spirits would 100% be from Resident evil so there was no reason to release them before if a character was coming later.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I still think the Resident evil spirits pretty much killed Leon (or any RE characters) chance in Smash. You could argue that the Heihachi costume releasing before Kazuya might mean that Resident evil have a chance, but the thing with Mii costume is that they're not officially part of the fighter pack so they can throw them everywhere they want. The spirits would 100% be from Resident evil so there was no reason to release them before if a character was coming later.
I've been thinking about it, and you're probably right. Especially when we consider that it was announced there would be post-FP1 characters in the September 2019 direct before the RE spirits were revealed in late November. I guess WHEN exactly the FP2 characters were selected is unknown, but it was likely before November.

The only sliver of hope I have left is the RE spirits might have been a misdirect to throw us off the trail, but that's probably extremely unlikely.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I personally don’t believe the spirits killed any of the characters of resident evil.
If we can get a character from a series with a mii costume (tekken) then spirits don’t mean crap honestly hahah.

Top Bottom