• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

entering / possibly winning your own tournament.

HylianLord

Smash Ace
well, i'm in a strange situation and i just kind of want some opinions. i'm currently an officer of a gaming club in my high school and we're going to have a game night in a short amount of time. however, some of the other officers decided that officers cannot join the tournament. now here's the thing, i cannot help but feel... well i guess you could say i'm kinda upset about this because i enjoy smash for what it was meant for... and that would be tournament play. their argument is that it gives the officers a bad image to invite people to their game night / tournament and take their money. however i already suggested that any officer that wins money (in the form of a gift card) gives it to the person who ranked below him / her.

well anyone have any opinions / arguments for either side? i just think its a bit extreme for them to do this, but... meh... i'll be open minded. i know that it's kinda selfish to want to play even though i have to look over stuff but... well any opinions XD?

Miharu

Smash Hero
Well, I've already told you my opinion somewhat, but I'll put it out here as some food for thought.

Personally, I don't really see anything wrong with entering the tourney, since you don't get any special priveleges/benefits as an officer. It just happens that tournament results are decided by skill, and, well, it just so happens that you're most likely to win. If your skill weren't at that level, I don't believe that this would be an issue. Point is, you're not there just to steal their money; you're just another participant in the tournament.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
If you forfit any winnings and hand any prize you would get to the runner-up, I don't see how it could be seen as selfish. All it shows is your interest in the game and good sportsmanship.

Heck, as a "game officer", I would imagine people would see a match vs. you as some kinda 'boss round' since you'll be expect to be good. Alot of pride if they defeat you!

However, a sound argument for you NOT joining the tourney is that these things require a bit of man-power to keep on schedual and flowing well. If you're supposed to be keeping the peace, but are in a middle of a match, you're kinda neglecting your duties.

I suppose it depends on the exact situation, but on the surface, I see little harm in letting you participate. Just make sure all the tourny is able to run smoothly without your constant attention, otherwise you has best just sit back.

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn't be banned from play thats just blasphemy to deprive a fellow gamer of smash. But i guess to be fair you could just forfeit any winnings to 2nd place.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ken won OC2. His own tournament. No one complained.

I use to be an officer in a club at my school, along with the rest of my Smash crew. The club was for all video games, but every few months we ran SSBM/Halo 2 tournaments. The SSBM tournaments were basicly just giving us money, but no one complained because we were far and away above everyone else in talent, not to mention that we would always place 1, 2, and 3 respectively. There isn't anything unfair about it so long as you don't mess with the brackets in anyway, which we didn't have to do because there were 3 of us.

When I work for MLG I'm not allowed to participate in the tournametns (neither is JV, Omnigamer, or Bach) because we are staffing the event. MLG though is trying to run a professional league, where you can't have the people who are suppose to enforce the rules also playing in the tournaments.

You should be allowed to play.

Sudai

Stuff here
So long as you're not gonna rig the brackets or w/e, it should be fine.

I don't feel that you should have to give the winnings to the person below you however, since you did win.

I could see possibly giving the money to the club to spend on future endeavors or even better equipment for the club.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Maybe since you're the best, a good way to compromise would be to make yourself the "final boss" of the tournament, so that you face the winner of the tournament, but not take his money if you win. I've seen that done at a small tournament where the best is known, so he just sat out and played the winner and didn't take anyone's money (I think). Maybe you could set aside a portion of the pot and the winner of the final boss match would get it, so you would make money, or he would get a little extra.

Ryuker Reo

Smash Apprentice
I'm hosting a Tournament at the end of this month. I talked about it with some of my friends, and they have no problem with me entering it. It really supprised me because my friends do know I'm the best of the group. But I'm giving prizes to second and third places also, so if I do win first place I won't take all the money. Besides, I'm going to give out free food and drinks to everyone; those things don't grow on trees you know. It's like I'm paying for those stuff with the money I win.

Anyways, why not give prizes to second and third place also? That way they won't think you did the tournament to take all of their money.

HylianLord

Smash Ace
there's gonna be prizes for second / third of course. the distribution is going to be 50 / 30 / 20 (instead of 60 / 30 / 10 because of the relatively low turnup / entry fees). anyways it's not really about "me" winning, it's more about officers competing.

and no i won't rig the brackets xD. we're using neal's TIO program and we're gonna project it to the wall =) and they also thought of putting me as the "final boss" but... i'd rather not assume that i'd beat everyone because that takes away the point of a tournament =_=

but yea i think we're gonna have a compromise, thanks for the responses ! ^^.

Psi

Smash Cadet
I had a friend that ran a similar club. He would participate but if he won the money he would use it for the club. He bought pizza and such for the next tournament. He even had a club entry fee that went toward buying an xbox 360 for the club to use at school.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
relatively low turnup
You mean the one with the -_- face that only does 7% damage (as opposed to the ._. which does 18% and the =_= which of course does 34%)?...

=D

I think you should enter and give money back to the club if you win. That sounds like a good, philanthropic solution that also offers you tournament experience.

pmak187

Smash Cadet
the exact same thing happened to me. i run a gaming club at my school. I am the president of the club. the kids at my highschool are pretty cocky and thought they were the best, so I hosted a tourney witha $5 buyin and 10 people entered. Nobody was muhc of a match, cuz no one besides me used advanced tech.

So I won the tourney, but felt guilty after it, and started holding smash clinics instead of tourneys.

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
It seems as if other non-competitive smashers get jealous of the competitive onez. You should be able to enter jus make sure u give the winnings to the 2nd place winner. Shouldnt be a problem then.

Top Bottom