• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

End All Solution to Camping

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
Camping is beginning to emerge as a problem for competitive smash so..... Why not use the stage builder to create a small simple stage (1/2 - 1/4 size of FD), of which we could possibly come up with a couple of simple small designs that would be tourny fair. They would be easy to duplicate maps that can be recreated easily for home practice which should speed up the action and not allow people the ability to run away and spam. This option wouldn't be available online i guess but would suffice for tourny play. consider and deliberate.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Hmmm, a good idea in theory, but this sounds to me like one of those plans that won't work so well in practice. Completely PREVENTING camping is a solution that would reverse the current situation to the other extreme: strong close quarters characters would have the absolute advantage over characters who would normally throw projectiles for space. How could you beat a Marth or a Meta Knight on a stage 1/4 the size of FD?

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
1/4 the size of FD is pushing it a bit I think. Maybe something like 2/3 the size of FD, with small platforms arranged like Battlefield.

The other thing that has to be considered is stage boundaries. If the stage is made too small, the stage edges will be too far away and that will tip the scales in favor of characters with good recovery.

I'm still not sure if just making a small stage would totally fix the problem of camping though. I think the problem is more with hitstun and lack of rapid movement.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
Camping isn't big enough of an issue to make stages THAT small. 2/3rds of FD sounds good to me....don't even need platforms.

Also, if it's on a small-bounded stage making a smaller stage won't really be problematic.

It's a good idea, even though I don't think camping is a good strategy anyways.

pirkid

Smash Lord
It's not only stages that the problem is revolving around, it is also centering on rapid attacking, defensive play, and the overall fell of most characters. It's feels better and is much easier to camp in Brawl then ever, and many characters are tuned to that play style.

Stage improvements might help a bit, however issues and arguments may arise with created stages, unless everyone agrees, created stages can't be used in tourneys.

P.E

Smash Apprentice
It´s really simple: Set a time limit in a stock-match.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
It does and it doesn't. I mean, example, Pit vs. Zelda. Both campy type characters, but one will always end up losing, probably Zelda if we're basing camping. That forces her to change tactics and get in close to attack and wrack up damage, possibly killing, before time is out.

Custom stages will never work for tournament standard, sorry. Each stage has their ups and downs. That's why there is counter-picking.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
If you don't like camping:

1. Ban FD (not from competitive play in general, just with the stage strike rule in most tournaments). Flat stages with no platforms or movement just encourage camping.
2. Counterpick moving stages, like Rainbow Ride.
3. Learn to approach smartly. Get within a range of your opponent that will allow you to react to anything he does.
4. If you like items, play with Franklin Badges and Mr. Saturns.

House M.D.

Smash Apprentice
as radical as this sounds, it might be worth pursuing. but on the other hand, the fact that such a radical solution seems viable mainly serves as evidence that brawl is not an interesting tournament game (even if we pervert the gameplay this much)

Top Bottom