• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Emo Music fans unite

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
OK, though this focuses on emo music, I am also including alternative, and metalcore (some examples would be Silverstein, Chiodos, Paramore, Thursday, Senses Fail, Bring Me The Horizon, etc.). So go crazy. I would also prefer a "my top 5 emo band" list from anybody if they want to. Melon---Out.

My Top 5 Emo Bands

1. Underoath
2. Silverstein
3. Escape The Fate
4. Senses Fail
5. Chiodos

ToXn

Smash Journeyman
underoath is post hardcore now, they were metal core years ago. genre's are so mixed now a days it doesn't even matter.

Oh yea, I know Silverstein ...Jealous? :)

Go listen to "the Holly Springs Disaster"....There so tuff. There Hardcore 2-step but close enough.

BZONG

Smash Cadet
Those bands aren't emo at all. They're all hardcore / post-hardcore.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
KevinM's emo rant could be found in here somewhere i'm sure.. but these bands are not emo.. but i guess we're just gonna name some bands we like in the post-hardcore, hardcore, genre

1. Just Surrender
2. Set Your Goals
3. Silverstein
4. Comeback Kid
5. The Movielife

and of course

THE MONGOLOIDS

iight thats just a few of the bands i enjoy atm

BZONG

Smash Cadet
pardon my ignorance but whats the difference between hardcore and post-hardcore???
Well, in my opinion, post-hardcore > hardcore
Wikipedia (post-hardcore) said:
Post-hardcore is typically characterized by its precise rhythms and loud guitar-based instrumentation accompanied by vocal performances that are often executed as whispers or screams. Allmusic states, 'These newer bands, termed post-hardcore, often found complex and dynamic ways of blowing off steam that generally went outside the strict hardcore realm of "loud fast rules." ... Additionally, many of these bands' vocalists were just as likely to deliver their lyrics with a whispered croon as they were a maniacal yelp.'[1] The genre has developed a unique balance of dissonance and melody, in part channeling the loud and fast hardcore ethos into more measured, subtle forms of tension and release. Jeff Terich of Treblezine states, "Instead of sticking to hardcore's rigid constraints, these artists expanded beyond power chords and gang vocals, incorporating more creative outlets for punk rock energy."
Wikipedia (hardcore) said:
hardcore punk emerged with a new sound, which was generally thicker, heavier, and faster than standard punk rock. It is sometimes characterized by short, loud, and passionate songs about serious topics such as government, capitalism, anarchism, war and the hardcore subculture itself.
That didn't really help >_>

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Oh well, it doesn't matter. They both count for this thread for all I care. Also, has anybody ever heard of the band theAUDITION ? I just downloaded a song by them called "You've Made Us Conscious" and they sound really good. I think the video for it is on Youtube.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
underoath is post hardcore now, they were metal core years ago. genre's are so mixed now a days it doesn't even matter.

Oh yea, I know Silverstein ...Jealous? :)

Go listen to "the Holly Springs Disaster"....There so tuff. There Hardcore 2-step but close enough.
Argh, they're from my province. I really hate hearing their name now so much. If that's the kind of hardcore you're into though (Southern - Hardcore), they're **** good at it.

This seems more like a hardcore list, so I might as well add...

Means
Misery Signals
Shai Hulud
Modern Life is War
The Fortunate

_umbra_

Smash Champion
here's my list :)

1. Thursday
2. Alexisonfire
3. From Autumn to Ashes
4. Taking Back Sunday
5. Underoath

I also listen to some AFI, Moneen, Senses Fail, and Rise Against.

saberhof

Smash Master
i always thought, Taking back sunday was like...alternative...

A thorn For Every Heart
Alesana
The Almost
As Cities Burn
The Audition(saw them at a concert =D, good stuff)
The Bled
Chiodos
My favorite band " Emery " =D
funeral For A friend
Pierce the Veil
the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Saosin
Silverstein
the Used
Yesterdays Rising =O
Story of the Year

those are my favorites...

Post hardcore = Thrice, Senses Fail...
Hardcore: As i lay dying, A Day to Remember ...

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I always thought taking back sunday was alternative too, but everyone around where I live says they're emo... I'm not sure what to think.

BZONG

Smash Cadet
I'll post mine:
Alexisonfire
CHIODOS!!!!!!
Enter Shikari
Emarosa
He Is Legend (kind of a blend of southern rock and hardcore)
Memphis May Fire
Thursday
Thrice

Chiodos is the best in this thread btw. 8) Who got their not-so-new album?

saberhof

Smash Master
i did, its pretty hot, Especially "bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered" and "The Undertaker's Thirst For Revenge Is Unquenchable"

pretty nice album...but no wowserszz

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I downloaded it. It's pretty good.

New Topic For This Thread!
What are your top 10 albums by emo (and such) bands?
This might take a lot of thought, but what the heck, I'm curious.:)

My Top 10

1. Thursday - Full Collapse
2. Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation
3. Escape The Fate - Dying Is Your Latest Fashion
4. Saosin - Self-Titled (drummer kicks a$$)
5. Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety
6. Senses Fail - Let It Enfold You
7. AFI - Sing The Sorrow
8. Stutterfly - And We Are Bled Of Color
9. Chiodos - All's Well That Ends Well
10. Underoath - Define The Great Line

Honorable Mentions:
Matchbook Romance - Voices
Chiodos - Bone Palace Ballet
From Autumn To Ashes - Holding A Wolf By The Ears
Silverstein - Discovering The Waterfront
- Arrivals And Departures
Thursday - War All The Time
- A City By The Light Divided
Alkaline Trio - Crimson

fluffy

Smash Champion
emo music sucks.

the best music are death/heavy metal, grunge, grindcore, hardcore punk, and screamo

fluffy

Smash Champion
haha high five : )

i think that emo is more of a fashion, than a music genre. my chemical romance is NOT emo music. Neither is underoath, thursday, saosin, and most of the bands you guys put up.

the original emo music are so down and depressing that i doubt any of you would enjoy that.

fluffy

Smash Champion
The Used is rock/crunk/ghetttech. or that's what it says on their myspace.

i've also noticed that most bands that would look emo don't classify themselves as it.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Weezer's album "Pinkerton" is as 'emo' as I will listen too.

Unless, of course, you mean EMOtive Hardcore, a sub-genre of punk that originated in Washington D.C. with bands like Fugazi, Bad Brains and Minor Threat?

saberhof

Smash Master
there is no such thing as a genre of music called EMO, just really emotional lyrics...>_>; ...unless your a person that thinks that emo is talking about a girl and cutting your wrists...well idk...>o>;

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
i think that emo is more of a fashion, than a music genre. my chemical romance is NOT emo music.
I agree completely. You're right, MCR is hardcore punk.

At least that what one genre they're listed on at rateyourmusic.com. I'll be ****ed if I can find any hardcore in "The Black Parade" or "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge". Hell, I'll be ****ed if I can find enjoyable music on their records at all, but apparently, it's supposed to be there. I guess I'll just have to keep listening to find it.

*opens up "Welcome to the Black Parade" in iTunes*
WHEN I WAS,
A YOUNG BOY

*closes iTunes*

It's just not worth it.

fluffy

Smash Champion
I don't feel like arguing, but yes My Chemical Romance is my favorite EMO band.
Most novices would consider them emo. I'm sure they LOOK emo but they're music isn't. I'm telling you, REAL emo music would be so boring that very few of you would listen to it. And About MCR, aAfter the release of "The Black Parade", they're turning more into pop rather than 'hardcore punk'. Proof? Teenagers.

blizzard this is for you btw.

blizzard18

Smash Cadet
Somewhere within the cold depths of Minnesota...
Most novices would consider them emo. I'm sure they LOOK emo but they're music isn't.
I'm sorry, but why the hell would they classify their music as emo themselves if it wasn't?

I'm telling you, REAL emo music would be so boring that very few people would listen to it.
I don't know what kind of emo music you have heard but obviously our views on it are completely different.

I thought this thread was emo people unite, where is my back-up?

fluffy

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, but why the hell would they classify their music as emo themselves if it wasn't?
For the last time, their music is NOT emo.

My Chemical Romance have NEVER called their own music emo. Their myspace, purevolume, or whatever does not label their music as emo. Can you understand that?

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Would you want to call yourself emo if you were them? Seeing as its usually used negatively....

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I didn't mean the individual people who dress weird. What I meant was, why would those bands want to call themselves emo? That would probably scare quite a few potential customers away. Besides, emo isn't a real music category, just a term used to describe a wide variety of music considered by most people to be overly emotional or something like that. IMO, bands like my chemical romance, thursday, etc. are definitely emo by this standard.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I didn't mean the individual people who dress weird. What I meant was, why would those bands want to call themselves emo? That would probably scare quite a few potential customers away. Besides, emo isn't a real music category, just a term used to describe a wide variety of music considered by most people to be overly emotional or something like that. IMO, bands like my chemical romance, thursday, etc. are definitely emo by this standard.

He be preachin the truth.

Fluffy just got his a** handed to him on a silver platter w/ french fried potatoes

Anyways, the emo genre is just too controversial for there to be any boundaries anyway, so why do we care about such a pointless issue?

fluffy

Smash Champion
Fluffy just got his a** handed to him on a silver platter w/ french fried potatoes

Anyways, the emo genre is just too controversial for there to be any boundaries anyway, so why do we care about such a pointless issue?
First off you need to stfu and if we don't care about such a pointless issue, why would you create such a topic? the melon!!!!! just got his **** *** handed down to him by his own **** topic.

@ umbra, yes if we were to stereotype many bands, they would be considered "emo". But i hate it when people stereotype different bands into emo. One of my friends' band is grindcore/metal and were told by a kid that the band was emo. They totally beat the crap out the the kid, and they did it to prove a point.

Screamo, rock, alternative, hardcore, punk, metal, death metal, heavy metal, grunge, indie, ska, etc are not emo. people should not classify them to emo. Therefore people should not classify many bands as emo. They're totally different music.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
While it's true that not all of the bands you mentioned should be called emo, some of them are extremely emotional, and would fall into the "emo" category. Bands like thursday, hawthorne heights, and mcr (at least their first two albums, I have no idea what to think of the black parade) are emotional, and could be called emo (at least by today's standard, I've heard old emo bands sounded completely different). However, bands like alexisonfire and underoath aren't really emo, and are only classified as such because they scream a lot, which I disagree with. What I'm trying to get at is that "emo" could be used to describe something, but the term is definitely applied to way too many bands that don't really fit.

fluffy

Smash Champion
What I'm trying to get at is that "emo" could be used to describe something, but the term is definitely applied to way too many bands that don't really fit.
*sniff*

couldn't have said it better myself :) now i can let the topic die...

Top Bottom