• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Myself and others have complained a bit about XC2 on here but I haven't really noticed anyone like attacking anyone. I don't think expressing your opinion on a game is really toxic.
Yeah like, I'm not an XC2 fan but I still want to play Torna just to see what it's like. There's been some mild annoyance about people who forget Elma exists or about the X haters but apart from some "I don't enjoy 2 for this reason" I'm not seeing much toxicity outside of a few things Mistaros mentioned. But like, idk. I see more talking about toxicity than actual toxicity.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I feel that all this negativity here comes from how the Smash community is handling the current state of Xenoblade representation. Despite what Sakurai has said regarding Rex being too recent for base, maybe even DLC too, this has somehos only strengthened the fandom's feelings that he'll get in. Meanwhile, you question why X has no music representation, and all you get is "Well the game sucked and it was a financial failure, so it's really no wonder that Nintendo/Sakurai wants to ignore it lololol".
And unfortunately our frustration at this callous outlook of X also makes it look like we have it out for XC2 and Rex.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
The people who hate XBX can go circle jerk each other for all I care.

But I really need to say...

If Elma gets in, I hope we as Elma fans don't feel the need to feel "vindicated" but rather just enjoy the fact she's in. If people want to hate on her because they rather see any other character in that's their fault. That is unsurprisingly common behavior in the Smash community anyway.

The purpose of this thread is for us Elma fans to gather and discuss our love for our character and to find people with common interests. We have our safe haven here. We have each other.

Who cares if there are people out there who hate on XBX and Elma? There are people who LIKE Elma and XBX it right here. Right here.

Last edited:

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
Yeah like, I'm not an XC2 fan but I still want to play Torna just to see what it's like. There's been some mild annoyance about people who forget Elma exists or about the X haters but apart from some "I don't enjoy 2 for this reason" I'm not seeing much toxicity outside of a few things Mistaros mentioned. But like, idk. I see more talking about toxicity than actual toxicity.
Torna is probably my second favorite Xenoblade behind X. It's like they took the core of XC2's battle system, refined it, and added more strategic options. Combat is fun after 1-2 hours as opposed to 20+ hours. Areas are less confusing, it's more clear where to go for side quests, tips/important how to play info can be seen in the menu, next to no fan-service (aside from Mythra/Brighid having the same outfits), just things seem faster, better, and less annoying in general. I didn't end up caring too much for the story, the music is a bit of a step down, and I still dislike the English dub, but I loved the combat system immensely and the side quests were enjoyable.

About "toxicity"... Eh, any of that in this thread I think has been pretty mild, especially compared to some other places. Sharing opinions is fine, throwing insults at those who disagree or trying to make them upset by saying stuff like "the game is trash" isn't.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
People like to bring up X's sales, but for a niche JRPG on the Wii U it's sales were actually pretty decen and probably fulfilled expectations.

#Elma4Smash

Smash Cadet
So a few days ago caitlin glass got an audition and a character she voices was the reference, apparently she got accepted and now she is under NDA, this can of course just be an anime since she voiced a lot of those, but it could also be for elma

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I feel that all this negativity here comes from how the Smash community is handling the current state of Xenoblade representation. Despite what Sakurai has said regarding Rex being too recent for base, maybe even DLC too, this has somehos only strengthened the fandom's feelings that he'll get in. Meanwhile, you question why X has no music representation, and all you get is "Well the game sucked and it was a financial failure, so it's really no wonder that Nintendo/Sakurai wants to ignore it lololol".
And unfortunately our frustration at this callous outlook of X also makes it look like we have it out for XC2 and Rex.
If I may add, I feel Vergeben also ruins DLC speculation, because if you follow the leaks, 3 out of 5 DLC slots could already be filled and even though imo the only real missing characters that represented a major part of Nintendo history were Ridley and K.rool, there are still a few support groups left that existed since Melee or the Brawl days, but some of those people are obssessed with deserving or franchise sales and those people tend to have a bias against Xenoblade and Fire Emblem in general and the DLC characters that Vergeben mentioned are very anti hype imo, minus maybe the Square rep.

Nonno Umby Nonno Umby Incineroar is more something that flew under the radar, but when Vergeben brought him up and if you started to delve deeper, the puzzelpieces felt in place, because he always was the starter Gamefreak wanted to push, but he is offcourse a reverse Greninja.

D

Deleted member

If I may add, I feel Vergeben also ruins DLC speculation, because if you follow the leaks, 3 out of 5 DLC slots could already be filled and even though imo the only real missing characters that represented a major part of Nintendo history were Ridley and K.rool, there are still a few support groups left that existed since Melee or the Brawl days, but some of those people are obssessed with deserving or franchise sales and those people tend to have a bias against Xenoblade and Fire Emblem in general and the DLC characters that Vergeben mentioned are very anti hype imo, minus maybe the Square rep.

Nonno Umby Nonno Umby Incineroar is more something that flew under the radar, but when Vergeben brought him up and if you started to delve deeper, the puzzelpieces felt in place, because he always was the starter Gamefreak wanted to push, but he is offcourse a reverse Greninja.
However, Vergeben never said those three characters. Just that he kinda sorta trusts the person who said it. He never backed up any of her claims, so for all we know she could be another Loz18. Actually, at this point, loz could be considered MORE credible then her because we know for a fact he did have info at some point while Hitagi has yet to prove herself beyond "Vergeben kinda knows me"

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
However, Vergeben never said those three characters. Just that he kinda sorta trusts the person who said it. He never backed up any of her claims, so for all we know she could be another Loz18. Actually, at this point, loz could be considered MORE credible then her because we know for a fact he did have info at some point while Hitagi has yet to prove herself beyond "Vergeben kinda knows me"
He trusts her though and Vergeben showed that he will only go 100% on confirmation if enough of his sources line up with it.

He waited very long with confirming Incineroar for a reason.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
So a few days ago caitlin glass got an audition and a character she voices was the reference, apparently she got accepted and now she is under NDA, this can of course just be an anime since she voiced a lot of those, but it could also be for elma
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, the DLC hasn't even started development yet, it's way too early for them to be recording lines.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It makes 0 sense for it to be for Elma. Either they bring her in as the current voice actor and therefore no audition, or they're redoing the voices for the game (something which does not sound very Sakurai/Smash like at all) in which case it makes no sense for her to be the reference for it (otherwise they wouldn't be changing).

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
It makes 0 sense for it to be for Elma. Either they bring her in as the current voice actor and therefore no audition, or they're redoing the voices for the game (something which does not sound very Sakurai/Smash like at all) in which case it makes no sense for her to be the reference for it (otherwise they wouldn't be changing).
There could be a chance that they made it an audition so they could do a fakeout? Maybe to diverge attention and make us believe it's not it. Although that thought is kinda stretching it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Again, doing this especially with non-Union jobs isn't so out of the ordinary. I don't think it's Elma, but it also doesn't mean it isn't Elma. The current voice of Eggman had to try out for the role of Eggman despite already being Eggman. He was also the only Sonic VO they kept when making the new Sonic games after Adventure and Sonic X.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Again, doing this especially with non-Union jobs isn't so out of the ordinary. I don't think it's Elma, but it also doesn't mean it isn't Elma. The current voice of Eggman had to try out for the role of Eggman despite already being Eggman. He was also the only Sonic VO they kept when making the new Sonic games after Adventure and Sonic X.
Yep. Hopefully fans don't read too much into it. Pestering her would be troublesome.

D

Deleted member

So I've basically come to this conclusion:

If the timing was right for Rex (unlikely), he will be in

If the timing was wrong for Rex (likely), Elma has a decent shot

Only thing is that if she doesn't get in this first wave and there is a second wave, I'm not sure if she'll be in that one over Rex

Calamitas

Smash Champion
More likely than not, we'll know for certain when Ultimate comes out. If there aren't any specific "Xenoblade slots" already there in the game files, then the status of X spirits and music will be the deciding factor. X music is looking good right now because of its absence, and for Spirits, we'll have to see if there's anything beyond Skells.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
If we're talking "signs" that Elma could get in: Wasn't there some kind off mention on Sakurai supposedly purchasing some model of a mech or whattnot? I remember people on subreddits and Twitter thinking it could be a Skell for Elma's theoretical Final Smash. Unless that was already debunked of course.

D

Deleted member

If we're talking "signs" that Elma could get in: Wasn't there some kind off mention on Sakurai supposedly purchasing some model of a mech or whattnot? I remember people on subreddits and Twitter thinking it could be a Skell for Elma's theoretical Final Smash. Unless that was already debunked of course.
Yeah he bought a mech to use its rifle as a reference for his new project, which was Smash, and if the DLC really was being made in 2015 then it might have been used as a reference to Elma. However, I don't personally think it was; I bet he was considering which DLC characters should be in back then but he 100% didn't start work on then at all; it goes against his M.O. Also the gun seems way tok big to be one of Elma's dual guns tbh

I feel like it was just used for a Spirit or maybe he just bought a cool mech and wanted to share that on Twitter while referencing that he's working on a new project probably

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Yeah he bought a mech to use its rifle as a reference for his new project, which was Smash, and if the DLC really was being made in 2015 then it might have been used as a reference to Elma. However, I don't personally think it was; I bet he was considering which DLC characters should be in back then but he 100% didn't start work on then at all; it goes against his M.O. Also the gun seems way tok big to be one of Elma's dual guns tbh
I feel like it was just used for a Spirit or maybe he just bought a cool mech and wanted to share that on Twitter while referencing that he's working on a new project probably
It's to model the poses for the newcomers when they hold the superscope.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
There could be a chance that they made it an audition so they could do a fakeout? Maybe to diverge attention and make us believe it's not it. Although that thought is kinda stretching it.
Then why would she tweet it?

It's a hell of a stretch. Elma has enough going for her we don't need to resort to grasping at straws.

He was also the only Sonic VO they kept when making the new Sonic games after Adventure and Sonic X.
But the point is that they were already reshuffling the whole lineup, that's an entirely different situation that you're ignoring.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee

It's a hell of a stretch. Elma has enough going for her we don't need to resort to grasping at straws.

But the point is that they were already reshuffling the whole lineup, that's an entirely different situation that you're ignoring.
Isn't Caitlin Glass in general a high profile voice actor to?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Elma isn't my first choice for Xenoblade characters, but I do find the lack of X content suspicious. No music? It's not my favourite soundtrack in the world but no Uncontrollable is a huge shame.

Elma is would still be cool.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Yeah, it's not comparable, and again I absolutely do not think this is an Elma thing. Like at all. But as someone who has worked in VO, it's not entirely unusual to recast or have someone try out for the same role again. It was just the quickest comparison I could think of.

CyberSkies

Smash Rookie
NNID
kronax_master
Switch FC
SW 2962 1993 0304
Elma isn't my first choice for Xenoblade characters, but I do find the lack of X content suspicious. No music? It's not my favourite soundtrack in the world but no Uncontrollable is a huge shame.

Elma is would still be cool.
I don't really get the distaste a lot of people seem to have towards the soundtrack. The only song I ever actually hear people complain about is the NLA night theme.

UH UH YEH

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I don't really get the distaste a lot of people seem to have towards the soundtrack. The only song I ever actually hear people complain about is the NLA night theme.

UH UH YEH
They didn't say they disliked it. They just said it wasn't their favorite.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Speaking of soundtracks, if any of you are like me and can't get enough covers of Uncontrollable, I'd specifically recommend Tsuko G and Adriana Figueroa's cover. Just a word of warning, Tsuko has a French accent that can be a little heavy at times. But they're both incredible musicians.

Also, Adriana has a cover of the World of Light Theme, in case you're interested!

aarchak

Smash Ace
Speaking of soundtracks, if any of you are like me and can't get enough covers of Uncontrollable, I'd specifically recommend Tsuko G and Adriana Figueroa's cover. Just a word of warning, Tsuko has a French accent that can be a little heavy at times. But they're both incredible musicians.

Also, Adriana has a cover of the World of Light Theme, in case you're interested!
That cover is one of my favorite things ever, I love it so much.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

UH UH YEH
I also really don't like the the standard battle theme and not a big fan of Day NLA. And they are probably the most common songs in the game.

Still some good stuff, the topic title makes reference to another song I like.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, to bring up another topic of discussion: Does anyone else feel like the moveset concept on the first page isn't really the best moveset proposal? Nothing against it, but I just feel like there could be better ways to do this.
Which I'm definitely not saying because I also though of a way how to handle Elma's moveset recently, no.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Well, to bring up another topic of discussion: Does anyone else feel like the moveset concept on the first page isn't really the best moveset proposal? Nothing against it, but I just feel like there could be better ways to do this.
Which I'm definitely not saying because I also though of a way how to handle Elma's moveset recently, no.
Well, I made a moveset for Elma some time ago on this thread, if that's anything.

Hey, to distract from the leaks and speculation, I made a potential Elma moveset. I don't know how good it is though.

Potential Elma Moveset:

Playstyle: Elma is a fast, light character with good evasion moves and movement options. She has a projectile and good combo ability; her weaknesses are that she is actually very light, and a fastfaller, making her easier to kill.
Jab: 2 kicks, then cross slash with both swords (gentleman) or fire both guns at close range (rapid jab)

Ftilt: Slice forward with sword

Dtilt - Sliding Slinger: Slide forward with shooting guns

Utilt: Swing above from both sides with swords

Fsmash - Side Slash: Stab both swords forward, then slice outwards

Dsmash - Violent Streak: Fire both guns in both directions slightly downwards

Usmash: Fire guns rapidly above similar to Samus' Usmash

Nair: Spin swords around vertically (character is in o|-< position with swords above and below)

Fair: Cross slash forwards

Bair: Pistol whip behind

Dair: Cross slash swords under

Uair: Shoot guns above quickly

Ledge: Sweeping kick

Get Up: quick spin of guns
Neutral B - Executioner: Fire both guns forward at long range, similar to Bayonetta's Neutral B, can be charged for more rapid and damaging fire

Side B - Shadowstrike: very quickly dodge forward (has intangibility), has follow-up which attacks behind, deals more damage from the back; optimally, user will dodge enemy attack and backstab them for massive damage

Up B - Sky High: Rapid kicks forward and upward, similar to one of Mii Brawler's Up Bs, but goes further vertically

Down B - Ghost Factory: Put in animation for half a second, afterwards gain aura that makes the next hit on user whiff instead (cannot be stacked, includes projectiles, activates even if shielding)

Final Smash - Ares 90: calls in Ares 90 to catch opponent, then wails on them with its 4 arts, finishing with Agashura Cannon

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, I made a moveset for Elma some time ago on this thread, if that's anything.
That's not bad, but I have a bit off a different vision for that. The attributes I'd keep pretty much the same (although I'm not sure about whether she'd really be suitable for being a fast faller).
What I'd have different though is that X' weapon switching is incorporated into the moveset via a special command, kinda like how Inkling can recharge their ink, although the button (/combination) for that would be different, because otherwise, switching in the air wouldn't be possible. The way the weapon switching could affect her moveset would then be by changing all of her moves except for specials, so ground attacks, aerials, smashes, and so on. Guns could be suited for racking up damage quickly, while swords would be the heavy-hitting finishing moves.
For the specials, I think it would work best that these work like the arts in X, in that a sword-based special automatically switches weapons to swords, while a gun-based special would automatically change to guns. As for the specials themselves:
  • Neutral B: Hundred Shells, as a sword projectile attack. Quick and spammable, but little power. She specifically used this move in her introductory cutscene in 2, so I think it's pretty likely that it'll be used.
  • Side B: Sliding Slinger, as a simplified version of Bayonetta's Afterburner Kick. Same as above, it's a move prominently featured in 2, so it is definitely going to be there in some capacity.
  • Down B: Ghost Walker/Factory. I have absolutely no idea how this move would translate over into Smash, but there's potential for some interesting effects there.
  • Up B: Shadowstrike. Another one of her signature moves, and one of the only ones that involve jumping, so it has a high chance of being there. Alternatively, I could see them giving her Seventh Edge, even if it is Murderess' signature move. Hey, it'd be even more suited for a recovery, and learning other party member's signature moves is a decently big deal for Cross, so it could happen, especially if Cross somehow gets in as an Echo.
Not gonna write anything up for a Final Smash, though - a Skell superweapon attack, probably the Ares 90's Aghasura Cannon, is essentially a given.

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD

UH UH YEH
The NLA themes are very different from the rest of the games themes (a bit more urban) but that doesn't make them bad - I do prefer the Day theme just because it's more upbeat, but the Night theme has a smooth bass line to it and steel guitar.

The soundtrack as a whole is fantastic, although the vocal tracks might put some people off just by how disjointed the lyrics can be - doesn't bother me, though.

I bought this version on iTunes - his accent definitely comes through, but I like the rockier drum beat behind it and the intro more than the original. I'd love to hear an official remix for Smash.

D

Deleted member

Damn y'all, if they really aren't saving the music for Elma I hope It's unlockable at least instead of just not being present. X has my favorite soundtrack of all the Xeno games, Sawano is a god

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, one thing we could do as of right now is to cross-reference this with Smash 4 pre-release footage of my music, and see if they showed all the tracks for any series back then. I will say though, any Xenoblade music having to be unlocked would feel a bit odd, seeing as all of it was default in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

I mean, one thing we could do as of right now is to cross-reference this with Smash 4 pre-release footage of my music, and see if they showed all the tracks for any series back then. I will say though, any Xenoblade music having to be unlocked would feel a bit odd, seeing as all of it was default in Smash 4.
It seems like we'll have to unlock a bit of XC1 tracks, as the screen where they showed the XC2 songs had some XC1 songs missing (I might be wrong on this, some guy on Discord was talking about it and I haven't verified it myself)

Top Bottom