• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
I do think XC2 is more popular than XCX in general, as unfortunate as that may be for us lot, but yeah, the completion of the project plan still puts R&P in an awkward position even if people want Pyra in the game more. I don't know if there's any difference between Western and Japanese audiences but everyone I know liked XC2 more due to XCX's quirks.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I haven't played XCX but I'd still like to show my support for Elma. She looks like a cool character with a ton of move set potential and is one of the most likely newcomers for Ultimate. The only thing I could see getting in her way is XC2. I'm aware the project plan was completed in 2015, but there's always that small chance Sakurai waited to implement a character from that game. Anyway, add me to the supporters list!

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yeah the poll has a sizable sample size (presumably) because it came from a pool of around 60k followers, and it included Spring Man, K Rool, and Bandana Dee in top 5 also, with Geno, Decidueye, Mimikyu, Dixie Kong, A Rhythm Heaven rep and of course, Goku, in the honorable mentions. So the characters weren't far off of what gets discussed here, but Isaac and Elma weren't even mentioned on the list. So that particular sample has all but given up on Isaac and Golden Sun, and seems to consider Elma obseleted to Rex. I personally don't see why we can't have both in the long run to make fans of both games happy, even if Rex is DLC.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Yeah the poll has a sizable sample size (presumably) because it came from a pool of around 60k followers, and it included Spring Man, K Rool, and Bandana Dee in top 5 also, with Geno, Decidueye, Mimikyu, Dixie Kong, A Rhythm Heaven rep and of course, Goku, in the honorable mentions. So the characters weren't far off of what gets discussed here, but Isaac and Elma weren't even mentioned on the list. So that particular sample has all but given up on Isaac and Golden Sun, and seems to consider Elma obseleted to Rex. I personally don't see why we can't have both in the long run to make fans of both games happy, even if Rex is DLC.
Interesting that they still have that much faith in Spring Man, but I guess ARMS was more successful in Japan than in the west. Honestly though, fan speculation doesn't worry me. I remember in the lead up to Sm4sh, everybody was taking it as a foregone conclusion that Ike would be removed and replaced with Chrom, and Lucario would be replaced with Zoroark. Moral of the story; there's no such thing as a shoo-in in Smash.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I still believe Elma has a solid chance in the base roster and Rex and Pyra as DLC, the only thing that could potentially hold her back is that she's not technically a main character, the latter being almost guaranteed if you ask me

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I still believe Elma has a solid chance in the base roster and Rex and Pyra as DLC, the only thing that could potentially hold her back is that she's not technically a main character, the latter being almost guaranteed if you ask me
Well. She is the main character.
Cross is less of a character, and more of a silent observer, not even the same as Robin or Corrin, who have defined personalities and big roles in the story
Cross is the definition of a blank slate, even more so than Link.
So, I don't think that will hold Elma back

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Official Twitter accounts for Nintendo Vs. and EVO just confirmed that there will be a playable demo of Ultimate at EVO. You guys think we could get a reveal during Wii U's top 8? I've said before that I don't think EVO is the place to reveal Elma, but anything would be hype.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Official Twitter accounts for Nintendo Vs. and EVO just confirmed that there will be a playable demo of Ultimate at EVO. You guys think we could get a reveal during Wii U's top 8? I've said before that I don't think EVO is the place to reveal Elma, but anything would be hype.
I think it's possible.
I wonder if it'd be a regular character, or if they'd reveal a character from a fighting game, it would fit well, since it's EVO.
Either way, I think we'll see something there, even if it isn't a fighter, I feel like they're going to show off something new, like a mode, or stages or something

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Almost certainly won't happen. Characters have only been revealed during E3 events, Nintendo Directs, and special Smash directs/livestreams. The wording of the tweet makes it sound as if it's the same E3 demo, which would mean we wouldn't get any new info.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
You know what I find most fascinating about Elma for me? It's that she's the easiest character to imagine in Smash, because her official renders from her home game look like Smash Wii U renders. Just sharpen them up and poof, she fits in Smash like a glove. Imagining her render in-game is stupid easy compared to characters like K Rool, Isaac or even Bandana Dee, who would need to be re-imagined a bit.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
You know what I find most fascinating about Elma for me? It's that she's the easiest character to imagine in Smash, because her official renders from her home game look like Smash Wii U renders. Just sharpen them up and poof, she fits in Smash like a glove. Imagining her render in-game is stupid easy compared to characters like K Rool, Isaac or even Bandana Dee, who would need to be re-imagined a bit.
Yeah, Whenever I pictured her in Smash, I never could make a huge distinction between X and 4/Ultimate. She'd pretty much transition flawlessly like Inklings did to the point where you couldn't tell if their renders were from Smash or their home games.

I think Bandana Dee would actually fall in this category too, honestly. It's just characters who are in a totally different art style or have been absent for a while like the others you listed that would probably stand out when first seen in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The only touch up Elma would probably use would be for her hair, I’d imagine.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait, what's wrong with her hair?
Nothing, it’d just be to add more detail to it like Shulk, the FE characters, Bayonetta, etc. maybe even make it shinier? (Yes pleeeease)

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Nothing, it’d just be to add more detail to it like Shulk, the FE characters, Bayonetta, etc. maybe even make it shinier? (Yes pleeeease)
Oh, yea
That'd definitely be good. The hair on on those characters look amazing. Way better than Smash 4. Elma would look so good with that kind of touch up. And whatever other details Sakurai decides to add.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
They'd probably need to redo the face too since they're focussing on making characters able to dynamically change expression and than mean having their own facial rigging rather than importing that from other games.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
I have so much anxiety that Cross will make it in over Elma lol. I know it's not justified but you never know.
I really hope Elma still makes it, regardless.
I'd rather have Luxaar. A giant slug man with energy balls that can't stop shuffling is perfect Smash material.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
After hearing the Snake Eater remix for the 468th time today I wondered: which song from Xenoblade X would do you like to be remixed rather that straight ported from the game?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Black Tar would benefit a lot of having some buildup cut down. Also Black Tar reminds me of Xenogear's battle tracks (Stage of Death and Crimson Knight) so a mix in Gears style would be a cool throwback and fit the shared character artist and plot details (namely the giant ship crashing into a planet).

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I think z5m20i12r04a28 would make a perfect remixed track. It has quite a few memorable bits to it, but it has far too much build up to work in a conventional smash match. I think Wir Fliegen could also make for an interesting remix. I feel like it is a bit lacking in some regards, but I could see it being remixed into an absolute blast of a track to smash bros to.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If we get an X stage, my ideal track listing would be:

Remixes:
- Regional Medley (Primordia, Noctilum, Oblivia, Sylvalum)
- Black Tar (Instrumental remix)

Original:
- Black Tar (given)
- Uncontrollable (given)
- Noctilum day
- Oblivia day
- Primordia day
- Sylvalum night (since it's actually *more* energetic for some reason?)
- Your Voice (<3)
- THEME-X
- NO.EX01
- The Key We've Lost
- Wir Fliegen
- G-LOW-S->F.S.K.O
- aBOreSSs

This list gets way longer if certain songs get abridged versions.

EDIT:
OKAY so I forgot that Melancholia is actually FIRE so I need that in Smash as well.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we get an X stage, my ideal track listing would be:

Remixes:
- Regional Medley (Primordia, Noctilum, Oblivia, Sylvalum)
- Black Tar (Instrumental remix)

Original:
- Black Tar (given)
- Uncontrollable (given)
- Noctilum day
- Oblivia day
- Primordia day
- Sylvalum night (since it's actually *more* energetic for some reason?)
- Your Voice (<3)
- THEME-X
- NO.EX01
- The Key We've Lost
- Wir Fliegen
- G-LOW-S->F.S.K.O
- aBOreSSs

This list gets way longer if certain songs get abridged versions.

EDIT:
OKAY so I forgot that Melancholia is actually FIRE so I need that in Smash as well.
Don’t forget the Telethia theme (part of the name is a bit of a spoiler tho) and the Yggralith Zero theme <3

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There was a Sakurai interview in an IGN stream recently, and Sakurai said this:

WE ARE GETTING CLOSER!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
There was a Sakurai interview in an IGN stream recently, and Sakurai said this:

WE ARE GETTING CLOSER!
God damn. Is it possible we could get both Elma and Rex in the base roster? It would be amazing if it actually happens, but I’ll try to keep my expectations tempered since it sounds too good to be true. On the other hand, I got my most wanted ever playable, so anything could happen.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Apparently this is the full context of the XC character matter, this is the transcript of the interview apparently:

"With the Wii U game you start to see more players who have come into Smash Bros. more recently, and they tend to have a real big affinity for some of the newer characters like Bayonetta, like Cloud, and even the Xenoblade characters and things like that."

This interview was conducted by Bill Trinen, not Sakurai. Just found this out. So I guess this relates more to Smash 4 competitive play. But still, the plural with XC characters is suspicious.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Apparently this is the full context of the XC character matter, this is the transcript of the interview apparently:

"With the Wii U game you start to see more players who have come into Smash Bros. more recently, and they tend to have a real big affinity for some of the newer characters like Bayonetta, like Cloud, and even the Xenoblade characters and things like that."

This interview was conducted by Bill Trinen, not Sakurai. Just found this out. So I guess this relates more to Smash 4 competitive play. But still, the plural with XC characters is suspicious.
Holy crap. Did that just confirm that we're getting a new Xenoblade rep?
And this was Bill Trinen?
That's interesting. It just adds more evidence to Elma being in Smash
In fact, it confirms that Xenoblade is a franchise Sakurai is looking towards for characters in Smash.

Elma is looking more and more likely everyday!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wouldn't look too far into it, but it's pretty odd that within the context of Smash Wii U and 3DS he would say *Xenoblade* *characters* and not just Shulk.
Of course, if he stuttered like that he might have just straight up forgot Shulk's name. Lol

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't look too far into it, but it's pretty odd that within the context of Smash Wii U and 3DS he would say *Xenoblade* *characters* and not just Shulk.
Of course, if he stuttered like that he might have just straight up forgot Shulk's name. Lol
Yea, I could see that being the case. He did seem to studder at that last part a bit. Idk. It could mean anything tbh.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap. Did that just confirm that we're getting a new Xenoblade rep?
And this was Bill Trinen?
That's interesting. It just adds more evidence to Elma being in Smash
In fact, it confirms that Xenoblade is a franchise Sakurai is looking towards for characters in Smash.

Elma is looking more and more likely everyday!
My Question though is does Bill even know who the new characters are? from other interviews sounds like they are being very secretive this time around. even limiting who in the company knows info about smash. and if there were people who didn't need to know wouldn't people from the american side of the company not need to know? well I guess the translaters and voice actors would need to know. what does Bill do again?

That said I still think Elma's gonna be in anyway. only reason I see it wouldn't happen is if they went full ballot picks fan service.

anyway Hi. randomly popped in because I was curious if you guys heard about that interview.
not really an Elma supporter. I haven't played the game yet, but my mind may change eventually when I do. I love everything about the first xenoblade chronicles. but especially loved the combat system. so it's on my list.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
My Question though is does Bill even know who the new characters are? from other interviews sounds like they are being very secretive this time around. even limiting who in the company knows info about smash. and if there were people who didn't need to know wouldn't people from the american side of the company not need to know? well I guess the translaters and voice actors would need to know. what does Bill do again?

That said I still think Elma's gonna be in anyway. only reason I see it wouldn't happen is if they went full ballot picks fan service.

anyway Hi. randomly popped in because I was curious if you guys heard about that interview.
not really an Elma supporter. I haven't played the game yet, but my mind may change eventually when I do. I love everything about the first xenoblade chronicles. but especially loved the combat system. so it's on my list.
Bill Trinen is the head of the Treehouse, so he supervise all the translations (including Smash) as far as I'm aware, and considering that he is the one doing most interview and PR statement about Ultimate I'm sure he is one of the lucky few who is working on the localization of the final game (which means that it is mostly done, since for a December release that means they are already working on the debugging as we speak, so the content itself is locked).

And welcome to the Elma thread!

Last edited:

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't be surprised if instead of Xenoblade he meant Fire Emblem, that would make sense since he was talking about Bayonetta/Cloud, and both Roy and Corrin were DLC as well. Either that or Bill is a big tease.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Oh, Bill, have you learned nothing?

Memes aside, a new Xenoblade character was pretty much guaranteed to be included at some point in Ultimate's life, so it's not like it would surprise me. But another possible hint towards it is never a bad thing! I just hope Elma was who he was referring to if he really did make a Freudian slip.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Thought I’d share this here, courtesy of the talented and awesome N3ON N3ON

There’s also some fan made stock icons of her in the Newcomer Stock Icons thread, lemme see if I can remember what page they’re on

Edit: here, by lanky_gunner:

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Bill probably meant to say Fire Emblem and slipped up. Or Shulk and forgot. Or Corrin and forgot not only what his name was but what series he's from.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
If it was Reggie, Doug Bowser or anyone else I would belive he confused Xenoblade for Fire Emblem or something else, but not Bill Trinen. Unlike most people in NoA he actually plays most Nintendo games, and he really loves Smash, he even partecipated in some competitive tournamemt for Melee, for crying out loud. I really doubt that someone like him would confuse Xenoblade with Fire Emblem.

Also, by looking at the whole statement, he said that old players tend to gravitate towards characters from Melee, while new player tend to go with Bayonetta, Cloud and "Xenoblade characters". Now Fire Emblem characters have been in since Melee, so I don't see why he would group them as a series in that context.
And let's not forget that by design Elma and Shulk are a lot closer to Cloud and Bayonetta than the Fire Emblem characters, so it makes sense for them to appeal to the same group of people.

Last edited:

TeddyBearSolid

Smash Rookie
Uh... One question: WHETE HAS THUS BEEN ALL MY LIFE???

Yes, Elma for Smash!!! I can't think of anyone better!!! I love Elma, I love XCX!!!! Do it! Sign me up!!!

Get muh girl in there!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m gonna try to make it a point to survey 100% of Mira before Elma is revealed

I’m gonna need a lot of luck though ;-; just got an Ares 90 and am still stumbling with some Tyrants, including that one in that cave in Noctilum that regenerates crazy fast

Top Bottom