• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ellie is locked and loaded for battle! (The Last of Us X Super Smash Bros)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I won’t go into too many story details here, since The Last Of Us is best played blindly and I don’t want to spoil anyone. The main characters are Joel and Ellie, who live in a zombie-ridden United States of America. The gameplay works different from other zombie games-instead of using a BFG or some other overpowered weapon to plow your way through unrealistic amounts of blood and guts, you’re trapped in a room with, say, five zombies, two bullets and a plank of wood for a melee weapon. You have to carefully plan out your attack and go through endless trial and error before you’ll be able to pass.
Can she make it into Smash?
That’s tough to say. I don’t recall Naughty Dog and Nintendo having much of a relationship, so an announcement for her inclusion would really be out of the blue. Not just that, but The Last of Us is a Sony exclusive, Nintendo’s main competitor. So realistically speaking, Ellie is a very low-likely character inclusion. But, we’ve said the same things about other characters before they joined the fight, so it’s not impossible.
What content would Ellie bring with her from her series?
When it comes to spirits, there are multiple characters from her game to include in a Last Of Us spirit board-Marlene, Bill, Tommy, Henry and Sam, David, and of course, the types of zombies in the game-runners, clickers, and bloaters. And of course, Joel would HAVE to be the four-star spirit.
When it comes to music, The Last Of Us has some really good songs-however, not all of them fit Smash very well. The music of the game is slow and atmospheric, a sharp contrast to the poppy tunes we hear usually from the series. It may be possible that they could be remixed into something more appropriate for the series, but it’s unlikely. HOWEVER, Uncharted (another fabulous series from Naughty Dog) has some rocking tunes, as well as some of the studio’s earlier titles. It isn’t unheard of to put songs from different series in Smash- Terry came with a few SNK tunes from outside of his series, like Metal Slug.
As for her stage, there are a few options, since Joel and Ellie travel quite a bit in the first game-not to mention that the sequel is coming out very soon, which will definitely bring with it some new locales. It could be the courthouse from early on in The Last of Us, since this is a powerful moment in-game and might work well as a Smash Bros stage. Another possibility is the mall, which Ellie explores in the incredible Left Behind DLC story. The main problem with a Last of Us stage is how most of the locations either have blood splattered here and there or just look incredibly dull-pretty, but dull. I’d say the mall is the best bet for now and move on to the character herself.
Ellie joins the fight! (I won’t go into every tiny detail here because I’m no game designer, this is just how I think she could work best in Ultimate).
Ellie would play similar to how she and Joel worked in the Last of Us (i may elaborate on gameplay in a separate thread once part 2 comes out.) The Last of Us is all about stocking up on ammo and using it wisely in battle. How does this translate to Smash Bros? Well, let’s say Ellie just hit a character with her forward tilt (for visualization reasons, let’s say it’s Joker.) Depending on how much she has stocked at the moment, some ammo has a chance of dropping from Joker. When Ellie walks next to it and presses the attack button-just as if it were an item she could pick up-she’ll load the ammo into her gun. There will be ammunition for her hunting rifle (down air and forward air) her pistol (back air and up air) and her shotgun (smash attacks). 0-2 will drop each time. Ellie can carry a max of six for rifle and pistol, and two for her shotgun. The shotgun rounds are incredibly powerful, comparable to that of Bowser and Ganondorf. The pistol is very quick and much weaker than the shotgun, while the rifle hits a sort of middle ground. When Ellie is out of bullets, she must resort to using her normals, neutral air, and specials.
Neutral B-craft. In Last if Us, you often craft things like First-aid kits using materials you find. In Smash, Ellie can craft a First-aid kit and a nail bomb. Materials for these will also sometimes pop out of your opponent.
Down B- First aid. If you have one crafted, it takes about 30-45 frames to apply, so be sure to send your opponent launching first. It heals 20%, which is good considering the wait time. Materials needed-two rags and three pills (In the original game they use alcohol instead of pills, which definitely won’t make it in a smash game).
Side B-nail bomb. When activated, she holds the bomb in her hand, and once you let go of B, she’ll toss it in an arc similar to Snake’s grenade. By pressing shield instead, also like Snake, it just falls to her feet. Unlike the grenades Snake uses, however, nail bombs will either explode when another player gets in proximity of it or after 15 seconds. Materials needed-two sharpnel and two bags of explosive powder.
Up B-boost. In both The Last of Us and in Uncharted, characters often encounter, say, an out of reach cliff with a ladder on top of it, and will give the other a boost to reach it. For this move, Joel appears out of nowhere, boosts Ellie so that she jumps up quite a bit, and then disappears. So, basically the same as Mega Man and Rush.
For her Final Smash, Joel will once again come to help out Ellie. They gang up on the opponent and attack, one after the other, using mostly punches and some firepower. At the end, Joel grabs the opponent from the back so they can’t move, and the camera zooms in on Ellie as she delivers the finishing blow. “Nice one”, Joel says before disappearing.
Alts
There are tons of alts in the Last of Us itself. There’s her coat that she dons in the wintertime, her outfit from the Left Behind DLC, and her gray hoodie seen in the part 2 trailers. That’s not even counting the costumes you can purchase with in-game points and use in The Last of Us, including a Naughty Dog logo t-shirt. I don’t really care whether they include 19 year old Ellie or 14 year old Ellie in this game-however, it’s been told that Ellie is a nimble and agile character in part 2, which could lead to new abilities and attacks in that game, which could translate to Smash. So it might be best to choose the older version of Ellie.
Taunts
Up taunt: she high fives Joel, with an excited “Yes!”
Side taunt: she throws some practice swings as Joel looks one with a proud expression. “Right hook, left hook, there ya go!” Joel says, guiding her.
Down taunt: Ellie and Joel fist bump. She tells him, “Looked pretty sweet, huh?” and he replies “Sure did.”
Considering music, developer relationships, and stage choice, not to mention how dark and mature The Last of Us is, Ellie is an unlikely candidate for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC. However, as a stand-alone fighter, not to mention the spirit potential, I think Ellie could be a really awesome and meaningful inclusion in the Smash series. Thanks for reading. And please excuse any mistakes or typos, it took nearly an hour to get all of this down.

Top Bottom