• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

elements play a factor?

SmashnTendo

Smash Apprentice
I was reading one of the latest posts from brawlcentral.com and came upon this:

"Ivysaur gets KO’d by Mario much easier than Squirtle does, yet Squirtle is listed as light, and Ivysaur as medium. This is not an error on our part, and it is in fact what what the magazine says. "

When they're talking about getting KO'd by Mario, it is by his side smash right? If this is true, then maybe Ivysaur gets KO'd easier by Mario because his side smash is a fire-type attack. despite Squirtle being lighter, he is a water type and therefore resistant to fire.

and if this is true, then Mario down B (water) could be useful against Charizard. and maybe pikachu could battle well against squirtle and charizard (if flying types are taken into account) but not ivysaur? Can I take it a step further and say that an attack like rock smash from charizard could be "super-effective" against pika or jiggs?

What will this mean with other characters and planning before fighting PT?

What do you guys think? I find this interesting.

Rakath

Smash Ace
The numbers are for Mario's F-Smash (as that's the one that KO's a Mario at 103 and Mario himself is listed as 103 in the BC lists)...

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
Hmmm... So you're saying that all playable characters would have a "type" a la pokemon... It doesn't really seem plausible. Plus, what "type" would characters like Wario be?

SmashnTendo

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm... So you're saying that all playable characters would have a "type" a la pokemon... It doesn't really seem plausible. Plus, what "type" would characters like Wario be?
oh no. not really. just maybe their moves may have a 'type' to it. but the POKEMON themselves might be types.

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
i was actually just thinking that they have a new variable instead of just weight for determining knockback.

like.. "knockback susceptibility" or something. i think that would make balancing weight classes much easier.

edit: that would explain the kirby and metaknight thing as well.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
u know in the sticker update one stickers says like magic atk +15 hhhmmmmm lets say we put it on ike (magic could mean elemental or maybe the sticker did say elemental) but what would it do for ike he has no eleme... eruption it is fire based so in SSE it would do more damage( but im guessing elements have a permente effect on pokemon. i remeber an update where it said elements have more signifcance in this game

but yeah certain moves have an elemental property that can be

super effective
or not very effective against the pokes maybe charizards rock smash against a certain steel type pokemon

hoped i helped out

oh yeaaah

300th post whhooo

ike ftw

S2

Smash Lord
While that sounds like a good idea... I just get the feeling that doing the elements for the pokemon is way too much programming work for an effect that doesn't matter all that much.

Meaning, it would be a good idea. But I'd rather have them working on additional content than that.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
possibly, i doubt it though. i think theres something else to it.

mia is awesome. nice sig tendo

Igneous42

Smash Ace
It could be a pt only thing. Kind of like how the red pikmin can withstand fire for olimar. Maybe PT's three pokemon are weak against certain moves.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It could be a pt only thing. Kind of like how the red pikmin can withstand fire for olimar. Maybe PT's three pokemon are weak against certain moves.
God I hope not. As a future Squirtle mainer, Pikachu would be in my nightmares constantly....

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I've been talking this over with a few people for the last day. It makes a lot of sense, but I just can't see it happening in smash. But the stickers make me wonder, since there are electric and fire power-ups and such. I'm saying this theory fits well, but it's not likely.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
You're forgetting a major thing: Stickers. The stickers have already confirmed that they've coded elements into some attacks and attacks with these elements can do more/less damage depending on who they're used by/on. They could have easily just taken the already encoded attacks from SSE and made that code useful in Versus by encoding characters with weaknesses and resistances.
Plus, it's not so much elements as it is attributes. Attacks have been shown to deal electric, flame, magic, weapon, slash, and arm damage. I'm pretty sure "arm" isn't an element.

If it's true, it could add A LOT of strategy and make you vary your style to keep in mind your foes (dis)advantages, more than Melee where they don't have truly quantifiable and literally counterable properties. It will also add a bit more strategy into counter-picks, which also lack true objective worth. Hopefully, if true, this variance of gameplay will replace the depth that left with the removal of several techniques.
However, this change could make or break balance. They have to be perfectly sure that no character is left in the dust or unreasonably superior, and that they keep in mind the non-numeric propeties that will affect how characters fight.
Example: They may think because character X has mostly slash attacks but a few flame attacks, then they could simply focus on the flame attacks when fighting character Y, who is weak against flame but strong against slash. However, that strategy wouldn't be viable if X's flame attacks are slow and Y has good reaction speed, so X could never get the flame attacks out. Y has an unfair advantage over X, and something may need to be tweaked.

Reinhart_x

Smash Apprentice

Well, good sir, Wario would be a "Gas type" Brawler. You know, kind of like the pokemon Ghastly, except he can't move through walls, he's slightly less purple, and he has a huge ***. This is just an example, of course.

mrbiz

Smash Rookie
I think it sounds not only a great idea, but a likely one. The evidence from the stickers, pikmin and ivysaur getting knocked out does seem to suggest so.
It would also, with stamina, be another attribute of PT that gets people to change pokemon; to avoid being counterpicked.

SmashnTendo

Smash Apprentice
Well, good sir, Wario would be a "Gas type" Brawler. You know, kind of like the pokemon Ghastly, except he can't move through walls, he's slightly less purple, and he has a huge ***. This is just an example, of course.

what would happen is wario were to use one of his gas attacks around a flame one? :psycho:

Black/Light

Smash Master
This actually makes perfect sense in a way. Ivy is called mid and Squirt is light but Mario's Fsmash (I think) throws Ivy further than Squirt. . . so Squirt would be faster AND heavyer than Ivy? That doesn't make much sense.

Maybe this only effects PT and Olimar or Olimar and pokemon in general. Like Lucario gets thrown furhter by Mario's F Smash too even if he is mid.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
not gas, poison. am i the only person with a sibling who's a pokemon freak?
a touche'

but there are still pokefreaks these days?
I am a "Pokéfreak", I prefer the term Pokéfan though...

Rock Smash is a Figthing Move BTW..so it would do more damage on Lucario and Jiggs. Pikachu is weak to ground not rock anyway..

This idea occurred to me before. What if all the character sin SSB had Pokémon typings.. I made a list..

Mario- Normal/Fire
Luigi- Normal/Fire
Bowser- Dark/Fire
Peach- Flying/Normal or Grass/Normal (Turnips)
Capt. Falcon- Fire/Fighting
Marth-Steel/Normal
Link- Normal/Steel
Zelda- Psychic/Normal
Kirby- Normal, but Like Ditto, Kecleon he can change his type
Ganondorf- Dark/Psychic
Ness- Psychic/Normal
Lucas- Psychic/Normal
Fox- Fire
Falco- Fire/Flying
Yoshi- Normal/Dragon
DK- Fighting
Diddy- Fire/Fighting
Ike- Fire/Steel
Roy- Fire/Steel
Squirtle- Water
Ivysaur- Grass/ Poison
Charizard- Fire/Flying
Mewtwo- Psychic
Jigglypuff- Normal
Pikachu- Electric
Pichu- Electric
G&W- Normal
Wario- Poison/Normal
Samus- Fire/Steel
Zamus- Normal/Electric
Sheik- Psychic/Fighting
Meta Knight- Dark/Steel or Dark/Flying
Dedede- Normal?
IC- Ice/Normal
Lucario- Steel/Fighting
Sonic- Steel?
Snake- Fighting/Fire

Thats everyone I think

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
It could possible, but maybe its just an slight advantage that Mario's Side Smash has over Ivysaur. Its was like that in the last game with certain characters moves having priority over certain other characters. Maybe this time they made damage a factor too.

Top Bottom