• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Electronic Arts being voted the worst company makes me not want to be a gamer anymore

Night Shade

Smash Rookie
maybe. Nevermind. Go get the mods and tell 'em we're Necro-Posting. They'll lock it up for sure!
Here lies Sol. He ran fast and died a virgin...

Back on-topic, I read somewhere that GameStop is one of the worst companies to work for, because they constantly tell their employees to push for pre-orders.

Not sure if it contributes to the actual topic on hand, but better that then nothing.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
Activision made Madagascar 2: Escape to Africa.

What a waste of my childhood at age 10.

Here lies Sol. He ran fast and died a virgin...
Here Lies Night Shade. He used my name in vain and was banned forever. AM I GODZ?! O.O

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I remember years ago I heard horror stories from EA workers. They include:

- Being "asked" to work 80 hour work weeks to meet a game deadline that they set.
- Being fired the day before a game went gold so as not to pay bonuses.
- Being told they would only stay open if they met a certain rating. They missed it by a point, and EA closed them down.

EA is infamous for buying profitable developers, stripping them of everything but one game, and milking that game to death. These include:
- Maxis: Maxis was a famous indie game studio that produced the massive hit SimCity 2000. When they were starting to fall due to a lot of failed games, EA bought them and moved Will Wright (the founder) to The Sims. They then pushed for the continuation of SimCity without Will Wright. The Sims was a smash hit, and then they started one of their more horrific practices of forcing expansions every x months. Will Wright went to work on Spore, and it tanked horribly, and Will Wright essentially left gaming.

- Origin: Origin created the first mainstream MMO Ultima Online based on the storied Ultima game series. UO was a crazy hit and spawned a lot of other MMOs (notably at the time Everquest). While EA purchased Origin in 1992, they were pretty autonomous until the failure of Ultima IX, which came out after UO. In retaliation, EA canceled all future games including Ultima Online 2, and basically, ousted the creator of Ultima and Origin, Richard Garriott. His character in UO, Lord British, was killed and there was a funeral. After he left, EA started a process of having an expansion every 6 to 12 months or they would cease support of the game. The expansions killed Ultima Online in hopes of making it more mainstream.

- Bullfrog: Headed by Peter Molyneux, this was the company that did Populous and Dungeon Keeper. Once EA purchased them in 1995, they were, like OSI, fairly autonomous until the consolidation period caught them and they were merged into EA UK. Molyneux founded Lionhead after he was pushed out of Bullfrog, and he had plans to do up to Black and White 5. That was phased completely out.

- Westwood: This was the one that hit me hardest. After merging with Virgin, they were purchased by EA in 1998. A LOT of Westwood employees quit that day, and you can see this, along with EA's accelerated release schedule, evident in Tiberian Sun. When C&C Renegade tanked (mostly because of being rushed and under-marketed), EA scrapped all other games and franchises in favor of Command and Conquer, which included my favorite RTS/game of all Emperor: Battle for Dune. Since the consolidation of Westwood in 2004, C&C has had more entries than ever before with expansions for every entry.
EA owned Westwood during Red Alert 2? Because I actually really liked Red Alert 2

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I would've thought Capcom would get that "award"
That's an odd thing to think. I can almost guarantee anything Capcom does that you dislike is done by EA and mooore.

But hey being the guy who gets his opinion in on a necro'd thread is fun even if the opinion has next to no real basis mirite?

OH NO ON DISC DLC WORST COMPANY EVEEEEEERRRRRR!!!!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Capcom has killed some big franchises (where's Mega Man hiding?). Resident Evil 5 was a waste of $60 on my part, and was not just terribly paced, had an awful villain, but was freaking racist as heck. Fortunately, Resident Evil 6 was easier to see being awful coming (thanks to the giraffe and the woman), :laugh: and ultimately proved that Capcom can kill anything good.

But still, that, the Mega Man Legends 3 cancellation, the ultimate version of every game they make ever, the SFxT on-disc DLC//360 on-disc characters/360 online dilemma (freaking can't believe some mode wasn't possible on the 360 when Mortal Kombat had that same mode), Capcom is nothing compared to EA. EA literally is killing the industry.

The dumb online passes for everything, that awful franchise called Medal of Honor (that exists to make Call of Duty look decent apparently), the buying out of a NFL exclusive contract to screw over 2K (who made much better games, for $20; now Madden costs $60+taxes+tons of DLC+more taxes), the destruction of some great IPs and companies they bought out, going after smaller companies, only making sequels, treating their workers like dirt, the long working hours, literally releasing the same game each year on the Wii (compare FIFA 12 to FIFA 13 on the Wii; it's the same physics, just different leagues), the murder of SimCity, the constant expensive DLC for the Sims (to the point to where the Sims is now irrelevant), that horrible online service Origin, expensive as crap day one DLC, leaving huge bugs in games (specifically Madden), brain dead and/or psychic AI being common in their games, being all-around shady (with closing studios), all those awful movie-based games they produce, and on and on and on and on. Oh, and way more DLC stuff; their DLC policies are straight up awful.

Really, the faster EA dies, the sooner the gaming industry can go back to being healthy. I really hope that smaller developers can help make EA less relevant. That or EA has a change of management, and learns to make games for gamers first to build up their brand is the best way to go.
Capcom does some **** that gamers may find offensive but I don't think I've heard horror stories with how they actually, you know, conduct business.
Capcom overworked one of their top guys to the point of hospitalization, and then demanded him to come back to work ASAP. That sounds "shady" to me.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
EA is a product of us, not the other way around. We support ****ty business practices and thus they continue to do them. The industry isn't unhealthy because of the people making games it's because we have shown that there is a clear demand for garbage. I mean why the **** do you think Activision makes so much off of CoD?

The answer is that the average "gamer" is ****ing stupid.

Edit-John you quoted a post from like 7 ****ing months ago. I already know that info and it still doesn't really change my view on how stupid a few people in this blog are being.

This is User Blogs now, where stupid blogs get revived so White Mage can be a jobber and JohnKnight can say things that are new and interesting to zero people.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
Resident Evil 5 was a waste of $60 on my part, and was not just terribly paced, had an awful villain, but was freaking racist as heck.
a

joke would've sufficed

EA is a product of us, not the other way around. We support ****ty business practices and thus they continue to do them. The industry isn't unhealthy because of the people making games it's because we have shown that there is a clear demand for garbage. I mean why the **** do you think Activision makes so much off of CoD?

The answer is that the average "gamer" is ****ing stupid.
I was going to answer "because 8-year-olds are freaking violent" but yours is fine, if not better.

quit gettin mad about videogames
1) Quit Telling Falcon what to do.
2) Everyone who plays Video Games will get angry at them at some point.

I'll shut my ugly idiot face now

Top Bottom