• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eight-Player Brawl matches! Tag-team, 8-player Free-for-all, and more.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Something just dawned on me, and I don't think it's been discussed (at least I haven't read a thread on it yet). Brawl has the possibility of supporting up to 8 players at a time! This about it, four people could be on the Classic controller (or Wiimote/Wiimote-Nunchuck) and another four people could be on GameCube controllers. The Wii does support this in theory, since the signals going in are obviously different.

Now, this opens up a whole lot of possibilities. First off, there could be a tag-team mode with up to 8 players, if you wanted to keep only 4 players on the screen at one time.

And Melee supported up to 6 players at a time (4 humans if you were using an Action Replay), so more players is obviously possible, and has happened.

But would 8 work? If it was a huge stage, I think it certainly could. That'd just be madness, too. I've played 4-player + 2 computers before, and it's pretty insane. I can't even imaging an 8-player free-for-all.

Think about it, I'm sure Sakurai has considered this possibility. It obviously could be done, and it would certainly be a shocker. Remember checking out all the different crazy modes in Melee, like Lightning Melee, Camera Melee, Giant Melee? There were a TON more in comparison to SSB64. I bet Brawl will be the same way. They'll probably have modes that we couldn't even dream about, and i really think an 8-player mode might be something they'd consider.

What do you think?

~Dac

Naota

Smash Rookie
I just don't see that working. I mean, it may be fun to play with 8 people but there's no practicality. And I really doubt Sakurai is gonna add that. On the smash bros dojo website, he says on "What is Smash bros?" that's it's a 4-player battle. I think they will include other modes to play in.

But 8 players brawls just seem to unstable in my opinion.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Bah, that doesn't mean crap. WarioWare for Wii is at least 4-player compatible, and it only states one on the box.

There have been a lot of games that say 1-4 players yet support more people. For example, I seem to remember being able to go into Tournament Mode in Melee and having WAY more than 4 players. =P

And don't give me crap like "well, it's four players at a time!" because WarioWare for the GameBoy and DS both state that they're single-player games, yet have multiplayer modes where two people share the GBA/DS.

1-4 players most likely is speaking of the main mode. Hell, if there was a special mode you could unlock to play 8-players, they certainly wouldn't spoil it on the box!

I'm just saying, just because that little picture says 1-4 players, that doesn't mean crap. By the way, where did you get that? Is that on the official site somewhere?

~Dac

Toasty!

Smash Journeyman
Bah, that doesn't mean crap. WarioWare for Wii is at least 4-player compatible, and it only states one on the box.

There have been a lot of games that say 1-4 players yet support more people. For example, I seem to remember being able to go into Tournament Mode in Melee and having WAY more than 4 players. =P

And don't give me crap like "well, it's four players at a time!" because WarioWare for the GameBoy and DS both state that they're single-player games, yet have multiplayer modes where two people share the GBA/DS.

1-4 players most likely is speaking of the main mode. Hell, if there was a special mode you could unlock to play 8-players, they certainly wouldn't spoil it on the box!

I'm just saying, just because that little picture says 1-4 players, that doesn't mean crap. By the way, where did you get that? Is that on the official site somewhere?

~Dac
Yes it is. >_>

WarioWare did say Single Player, because the only multiplayer was a minigame. That isn't a mode. Plus you could do it between yourself.

I doth deem tis thread of failure.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
But 8 players brawls just seem to unstable in my opinion.
When you say unstable, do you mean from a technical standpoint, or from a Gameplay standpoint? It would be fine, technically. If Melee can handle 6 players, Brawl can probably handle 8, or at the very least, tag-team 4.

If you meant gameplay, though, oh no doubt. 8-player Brawl would be something silly you'd do every once and a while, like Slow-mo Melee. It wouldn't be considered a real mode or anything.

At the very least, there should be a Tag Team mode. That would be seriously awesome.

~Dac

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Yes it is. >_>

WarioWare did say Single Player, because the only multiplayer was a minigame. That isn't a mode. Plus you could do it between yourself.

I doth deem tis thread of failure.
And you're saying 8-player Brawl would be something more than a minigame? It certainly wouldn't be a real mode, hence 1-4 means nothing. And just because you can play with yourself, Toasty, doesn't mean you should.

"I doth deem tis thread of failure." Wow, way to be a complete prick for no reason. I'll personally check with you next time I decide to make a thread.

~Dac

Toasty!

Smash Journeyman
Tag Team would ruin Brawl.

We have teams, why go to a lower extent?

EDIT: It would be a mode. Unless it was called a toy and was 10 seconds of jumping.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
It would RUIN Brawl? Wait, so you're saying a stupid mode would RUIN a video game? I think Coin battles are pretty dumb. I guess that means Melee was RUINED. I think Tiny-Melee is a stupid mode. I guess Melee totally sucks.

If you wouldn't want to play Tag Team, or would think it was dumb, then just don't play it.

You're like those nubs who complain that Brawl supports the Wiimote. Guess what, if you don't like that, you have other options. It's pretty simple.

~Dac

Naota

Smash Rookie
At the very least, there should be a Tag Team mode. That would be seriously awesome.
Well I'm sure it's gonna include a team mode. There's your tag team mode right there. :laugh: Unless you meant something else by tag team?

And yes, I meant by gameplay. I have no doubts that the Wii can support up to 8 people. It'd just be too many people to concentrate on actually fighting.

I can see myself playing Mewtwo in an 8-player match though. Not really doing much, just throwing giant shadowballs. With 7 available targets, how can it miss? lol

Toasty!

Smash Journeyman
It's also pretty ********.

Don't play it? Honestly, why play it at all? It's just a space waster. People with half a brain would rather team battle.

Coin battles were actually fun. I liked pwning my friends by using the Falcon knee.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Well I'm sure it's gonna include a team mode. There's your tag team mode right there. :laugh: Unless you meant something else by tag team?

And yes, I meant by gameplay. I have no doubts that the Wii can support up to 8 people. It'd just be too many people to concentrate on actually fighting.

I can see myself playing Mewtwo in an 8-player match though. Not really doing much, just throwing giant shadowballs. With 7 available targets, how can it miss? lol
When I say Tag Team, I mean this: 4 characters on screen, but 8 people holding controllers. There would be 4 teams of 2. Basically, when your character dies, your partner's character jumps in. This way, you don't need to worry about switching controllers or anything. Or, if your character had a high percentage, you could "swap" him out and let your partner play his character for a while.

It'd be a cool mode, and add a bit of depth to the game. This sort of mode has been around for a LONG time in many other good fighting games, and I think it would work just as well in Brawl.

And as far as 8-players on stage goes... Well, that would be mainly for drunken parties and whatnot. It would be an extra for stupid laughs, at most. Pros and hardcore smashers probably wouldn't use it, but it would come in handy when you have more than 4 people over your place and want to play some Smash Bros. =P

Maybe 8-players would be too much, but there have been times when I wished Melee supported 5 human players so all my friends could play. Would 5 be too many? Probably not.

~Dac

Toasty!

Smash Journeyman
It's also called playing another game after you die.

I'm just gonna stop posting here, because you obviously want ******** things that won't ever happen nor will anyone agree with.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
It's also pretty ********.

Don't play it? Honestly, why play it at all? It's just a space waster. People with half a brain would rather team battle.

Coin battles were actually fun. I liked pwning my friends by using the Falcon knee.
Forget running threads by you before I make them... Sakurai should run BRAWL by you before he makes it!

Seriously, dude. Don't be so negative. "It's just a space waster." What? Like Tiny Melee? Yeah, you're right. But a lot of people like those little extras. It's what seperates a great game from an amazing game, and shows the developers wanted to add as much as possibile to their title.

You have to remember that you're not the only person who's going to play Brawl. Pros and hardcore smashers like us aren't the only people in the world, guy. There are a lot of very casual players who still play all the stages, all the items, and slow-mo Melee (and the likes). Let's not forget about those people, k?

~Dac

Dacvak

Smash Ace
I'm just gonna stop posting here
I'm down. See ya, chump.

~Dac

[Edit]
I had to re-read this: "It's also called playing another game after you die." It's incredible how little sense that made. Here's a pretty fancy tip: Read the previous posts before you write replies.

Communcation is a bit better that way.

~Dac^2

Naota

Smash Rookie
Well I can see your point now. 8 player matches would definitely be a plus for a party type setting.

But how about this instead: Instead of having 8 people on one screen, pull a mario kart. If you're willing to have 8 people in your house for smash or wherever you are, I'm sure you can pull in another TV. Have 4 people on one tv for maximum connectivity of 8.

As far as stages, just have some stages strictly for that mode. It'd make no sense to have a map designed for 4 people to have double that number.

I can see this mode being especially fun in large groups or drunk...:laugh:

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Well I can see your point now. 8 player matches would definitely be a plus for a party type setting.

But how about this instead: Instead of having 8 people on one screen, pull a mario kart. If you're willing to have 8 people in your house for smash or wherever you are, I'm sure you can pull in another TV. Have 4 people on one tv for maximum connectivity of 8.

As far as stages, just have some stages strictly for that mode. It'd make no sense to have a map designed for 4 people to have double that number.

I can see this mode being especially fun in large groups or drunk...:laugh:
Lol, exactly.

But an extra TV wouldn't really help anything, because Brawl isn't a split-screen game. XD Plus, that would require another Wii, which you wouldn't need, since the Wii can support 8-players. =P

I'm trying to think of other modes that would be able to use 8 people... I'm sure they could get pretty creative.

But yeah, they would have to have some huge maps for 8 players, like Hyrule Castle-huge. Of course, in Melee, Battlefield is one of the smallest maps, yet you have to play 6-player on it in single-player mode. (Of course, that's pretty nuts.)

OH DUDE! I just thought of a REALLY freaky mode they could do with 8-players! You know Mario Kart Double-Dash? Well, you know how you can have one person control steering, and another people control the items? Imagine if you had one person control movement, and one person control attacks! It would be insanity, and truly a test of how well you work together with someone. (XD... Imagine trying to Wavedash between two people!)

"Ok, I'm going to jump, then you press R while I tilt down left... GO!"
"No, Meg, you did it wrong!!"

~Dac

180OP

Smash Journeyman
It would RUIN Brawl? Wait, so you're saying a stupid mode would RUIN a video game? I think Coin battles are pretty dumb. I guess that means Melee was RUINED. I think Tiny-Melee is a stupid mode. I guess Melee totally sucks.

If you wouldn't want to play Tag Team, or would think it was dumb, then just don't play it.

You're like those nubs who complain that Brawl supports the Wiimote. Guess what, if you don't like that, you have other options. It's pretty simple.

~Dac
coin mode is dumb?! are you fcrazy?! coin mode is freaking fun! the best part is you can enjoy it with anybody because it doesn't require much killing skills and the leader of the match changes VERY often because getting klled means half your coins gone. It is tense to the last second because everyone starts going after the guy with teh most coins. You can enjoy it with people who dont have too much skill and stil end up losing.

I also use coin mode to train my reaction speed. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who figured that coin mode increases reaction speed. It is unorthodox yes, but try it. 4 players that is.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
OH DUDE! I just thought of a REALLY freaky mode they could do with 8-players! You know Mario Kart Double-Dash? Well, you know how you can have one person control steering, and another people control the items? Imagine if you had one person control movement, and one person control attacks! It would be insanity, and truly a test of how well you work together with someone. (XD... Imagine trying to Wavedash between two people!)
~Dac
dude that sounds so freaking fun that if Brawl doesn't come with that, Im probably code that into a SD card and try and load it from there. Somehow mod the Wii to read it. I didn't learn programming for nothing. I'm going to try this. If I can accomplish that, Imma code a custom level creator for sure.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
I know! Wouldn't that be awesome? I really hope they do SOMETHING with 8-players, because the Wii can certainly handle it.

And I'm going to go train in Coin mode... =P

~Dac

Dacvak

Smash Ace
8 player mode would be pretty neat, though can the Wii hardware handle 8 different inputs?
Yep! 4 wireless inputs through the Wiimotes, and 4 wired GameCube controllers (or Wavebirds)

And the first four connections, with the Wiimotes, could be either Wiimote, Wiimote+Nunchuck, or just Classic controller.

4+4=8

MATH IS POWER!!!!

~Dac

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
I know about that :p I should of made it more clear. I mean can the Wii itself handel all the input devices at the same time? Because could give some major lag if lots of explosions go off :)

McCloud_Master

Smash Apprentice
That would be the most intense battle ever. I would like to battle 7 level Nine's againest me, but I would die within minutes XD But I think this would be a fun idea.

Also 8 people with Giant Melee would be impossiable.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
8 players no. 6 players yeah. 8 players is too much. it would be fun but just no.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
and why is it too much? the wii's processor could handle it and the stages are mostly going to change elaborately, and they have to be big to do it. it would also be fun on smaller stages like battlefield.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, even if Brawl is not 8 players compatible. People who have next level programming skills can actually code the feature.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
I certainly hope so. I bet if the GameCube had 2 extra ports, we'd already have 6-player Melee.

But in regards to a question asked a few posts ago, the Wii has no problem handling 4 Wiimotes and 4 gamecube controllers. Just take a look at some of the Virtual Console games. In Mario Kart, you can play 4 players with the Classic controller, then switch in real time to the GameCube controller. That's the Wii handling all 8 controllers at once.

I really hope they throw something crazy like that in. It would totally own.

Oh man, I just thought of another crazy-innovative mode that would support 8 players. Picture this:

First, 8 players would break off into 4 teams of two. There would be the battle player, and the support player. The battle player chooses a character and does all the fighting with the GameCube controller, while their partner (the support player) mans the Wiimote.
The person with the Cube controller plays the game normally, but the guy with the Wiimote has a special job. His job is to help support the other character by taking advantage of the Wiimote's pointer functions.

Think of it this way... First off, the stage(s) that you would play on would be special, booby-trapped stages. The way you set off the booby trap is by having your support partner point and click it (with the A button). Think of it like this: Have you ever been to one of those light-gun shooting ranges, where you try to hit the little bulls-eyes with the rifle to make something move and make sound? Same idea, only when you activate something, it changes the stage, sets off a bomb, or does something detrimental to the characters around it.

You'd also be able to help "recharge" your partner. Basically, the character would have to be standing still, and you would point the Wiimote at him and hold "B". Then, after it was locked on, you'd keep holding "B" and shake the Wiimote up and down rapidly in order heal your opponent.

There would be other special "Wiimote items" that could be "grabbed" by pointing them. You know in the picture channel, how you can blur-out the pictures? That could be an item, and you could try blurring out opponents and whatnot.

It would certainly be a crazy mode, and I think it would be a lot of fun!

~Dac

Zabutur

Smash Apprentice
weird. and also a note to Toasty! on page 1: (and anyone nubbish enough to think that way) there' no such thing as a waste of space uless we learn that something was removed for that very reason.
what we don't know won't hurt us.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Could you have 4 people on classic controllers and 4 on sideways wiimotes and 4 on GC controllers?
LOL. In theory, if the people using Wiimotes/Classics were sitting close enough... I guess...

But that's just insanity! XD

~Dac

Top Bottom