• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edmonton May19 2007 tournament

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Ok this is going to be a big announcement folks. I’m going to be running what I’m calling a Mullti game tournament. Probably the biggest in variety since well since ever. Reason I’m doing this is the scene on the west cost is as dry as a nuns *****. So its about time we get some **** bumping. I rented out a place called “A touch of Caribbean” the place will be at least 3 times bigger than any we’ve used before and we will have 4 tv’s and 2 PC’s on site not to mention the tv’s that other players attending will be bringing along with them.

Like Last time I’m pretty confidant that the Calgary players will be attending this event as well as some Winnipeg players showing up for some games. So without further adu lets get this **** HYPE

Where? A touch of Caribbean, 5819 118ave
When? Saturday May 19th 1pm
Why? BECAUSE
Games?
Mvc2, Cvs2 3s, Ssbm, Tekken 5, Slash,
ST, Xvsf, Sfa3, Melty blood Final tuned

Directors:

Xvsf: Shiro420
Tekken 5: Haseo
Mvc2: jj_tactics
Ssbm: FalseFalco
Sfa3: Crunch
Cvs2: Moe Powl
3s: Jinrai
St: BKB
Slash: Beeble
Melty blood: Clear Sky

All directors need to be there at least by 12 because the tournament will start shortly after.

All games will be $5 admission and the pot will be 70/20/10 post will be updated as time goes by. People in Edmonton look out for flyers that’ll be at most game stores and arcades

All team tournament games will be $20 per team.

All directors will be in charge of brakets. All directors get i their game for free =)

3s, A3 St, Tekken5, Melty blood will all start at 1:30pm
Mvc2, Cvs2, Xvsf, Slash, Ssbm will All start at 5pm

All players playing in 3s, A3 St, Tekken5 and Melty blood must register no later than 1:20 pm

All players playing Playing in Mvc2, Cvs2, Xvsf, Slash, and smash brothers must register no later than 4:00 pm

Previous tournament high light matches

3s High light matches

Arcade kid vs Moe powl Grand finals match 1,2,3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbRgC-TqAiw

Arcade kid vs Moe powl Grand finals match 4, 5, 6, 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqg-YtaAqkg

JJ_tactics vs Jinrai best 2 of 3 match 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmve5g5aBcU

Cvs2 High light matches

JJ_tactics vs Mini-Bok (Cvs2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui-yIz0rzFk

JJ_tactics vs Arcade kid cvs2 m2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgHteNWzBv8

ST High lights matches

Moe Powl vs Mike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRmTF3VJ9to

Jinrai vs Best kind Boxer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6NljcsrHYQ

Mvc2 Hight matches

JJ_tactics vs Arcade kid best 4 of 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL_sAoDVRQg

Arcade kid Vs Marvel Money match best of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkx6NwKcGvk

Xvsf High light matches

Dark renagade vs Shiro Kis Ranbat finals best 2 of 3 match 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoy3WQ9me9Y

Dark renagade vs Shiro Kis ranbat finals best 2/3 match 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z80-v8jZnjM

Marv0 vs Cemantics match 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVKzL7i7yDA

GET ****ING HYPE and remember if you don't like Edmonton tournaments http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xhhn1.jpg

Good luck and have fun

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Wtf? lmfao. i thought edmonton had 40 smashers wtf carl you lieing? lol

Tyson651

Smash Lord
uh, sure, i guess i will go for smash, and i think at least 2-3 of my friends will come too. (david, henry, wien)

edit: to shiro420, well, there is around that much, but not everyones going to attend.

BKB

Smash Cadet
edit: to shiro420, well, there is around that much, but not everyones going to attend.
Why not?

I'll be there at least...

I offer a $10 Smash + Streetfighter challenge. Whoever wins both to gets the cash. ;)

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I'll take that bet, an yeah why wont they attend?

kithkin

Smash Champion
****it levi, i wanted smash this weekend too.

also, wait melty blood? HELLS YES I LURVE THAT GAME. wait, isnt the one you specified a h-game? cause the original melty blood was. out of like 13 theres only 2 fighters and they're both the same.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
theres nothing wrong with having a tourney 2 weeks apart is there?

and not everyone is going to attend cause some people will be busy, im just saying it cause there is a lot of smashers but ya.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Well persoanlly it al seems weird. It's liek you guys don't want a toureny for smahs @_@. From what I've been toldthere isn't alot in Edmonotn to begin with. So shoudln't 2 torunaments in one month be a good ting? I know if i played any game competivly I'd be jumping at any and all local tournaments.

Sorry to try and absh you guys. I'm just really disipointed with the additude you guys are showing here. its almost ludacris. If peeps dont wan't to come then thats on them. but why question the fact that we're having a tournament? I don't seea reason or ryme behind it..

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
It's not easy going there 2 times in one month. I haven't been able to get there even after the 9 months of trying to get there once. Not everyone is the legal driving age, also I'm poor, so I can't afford bussing. Not everyone can get there is pretty much your problem. Not to mention Carl's tournament that is more Smash focused is 2 weeks prior, most will only go to that one, gas isn't cheap, lack of transportation, etc. I would suggest most smashers to try to get to CT3 over this one, but if you can go to both by all means, go, it sounds fun.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
o_O go over this one? Well if the peeps are form Edmonton don't not come!

Reese

Smash Journeyman
Theres a very good chance I could make this. :D Two tourneys in one month is awesome.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
****it levi, i wanted smash this weekend too.

also, wait melty blood? HELLS YES I LURVE THAT GAME. wait, isnt the one you specified a h-game? cause the original melty blood was. out of like 13 theres only 2 fighters and they're both the same.
It will be ac

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Breathe in, breathe out...if ya iced up, pull ya sleeves out...

Well persoanlly it al seems weird. It's liek you guys don't want a toureny for smahs @_@. From what I've been toldthere isn't alot in Edmonotn to begin with. So shoudln't 2 torunaments in one month be a good ting? I know if i played any game competivly I'd be jumping at any and all local tournaments.

Sorry to try and absh you guys. I'm just really disipointed with the additude you guys are showing here. its almost ludacris. If peeps dont wan't to come then thats on them. but why question the fact that we're having a tournament? I don't seea reason or ryme behind it..
Listen, Shiro, it is great that you've brought this enthusiasm to the table and it's the perfect time to do it, too. In recent years, despite the aging of the game, competitive smash has been inexplicably getting more and more popular and Canada alone has seen quite a boost just in the last six months.

However, at the same time you have to recognize that you're jumping into a pre-existing independent community of SSBM players and the strength of that community on its own will easily override any multi-game sort of tourney when there's a choice between two tournaments. A lot of the best SSBM players are like 16-18 years old and it isn't easy to make it to one out-of-town tournament at that age, nevermind two in two weeks. There's planning involved, and money and bus tickets...even permission. I mean, smash players will travel anywhere in North America (and some internationally,too) just for an SSBM-specific event which can sometimes span over several days. People invest hundreds of dollars in attending these tournaments and so they need to know what's going on and when you look at the information provided, it leaves some questions. The venue sounds like it will be big enough to support a large number of people, but how is it going to support a large number of tournaments?

The double-elimination tournament bracket in Red Deer, split between about 4 televisions and 32 players took seven hours to run. There are TEN games listed for this event. We don't know how many players are attending to play the other games, we don't know how many of those said players are bringing TVs, but it seems to me that if 60 people showed up over all, and half of them brought their own television, this would probably still wrap up at about midnight.... I mean, sure there's ways to shorten an event. You know, knock it down from best of 3 double-elimination to best of 1 single-elimination and ta-da! you've saved some time, but no SSBM player is gonna travel to a tournament like that anyway.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know what it's like in other fighting game communities and like many people, the only exposure I've had to the tourney scene in other games is the Daigo parrying video from 3rd Strike. But I do know what goes on in the SSBM side of things and it's entirely inaccurate to think that "you guys don't want a toureny for smahs" when we're backed with an incredibly enthusiastic community of young people who are constantly craving local competition.

There are definitely degrees of professionalism when it comes to running a tournament. Part of that professionalism is in how directors and community veterans handle their announcements, presentation of information and interaction with the community members themselves. To waltz into this existing community of smashers across central Canada and announce a tournament with a month's notice that takes place two weeks after the one we've all been waiting for since this time LAST year isn't going to be an easy sell, you have to do some research. Top it all off by commenting on our disappointing attitude and ludicrous lack of rationale for even questioning the event and the climb gets steeper.

Because another part of that professionalism will be reflected in the actual event itself; the number of people that attend...the number of people who felt it was worth their while...did the event run smoothly...and if so, how many people are coming back for round two? The best tournaments combine both those elements of professionalism and nobody has to question anything.

I will be attending both CT3 and this presently unnamed event. Thanks to an inconveniently placed wedding on May 5th, you might also see more Calgary smashers than there would've been otherwise, so I hope this goes down alright. Not everyone will confirm attendance without knowing how it's going to work, after all.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Listen, Shiro, it is great that you've brought this enthusiasm to the table and it's the perfect time to do it, too. In recent years, despite the aging of the game, competitive smash has been inexplicably getting more and more popular and Canada alone has seen quite a boost just in the last six months.

However, at the same time you have to recognize that you're jumping into a pre-existing independent community of SSBM players and the strength of that community on its own will easily override any multi-game sort of tourney when there's a choice between two tournaments. A lot of the best SSBM players are like 16-18 years old and it isn't easy to make it to one out-of-town tournament at that age, nevermind two in two weeks. There's planning involved, and money and bus tickets...even permission. I mean, smash players will travel anywhere in North America (and some internationally,too) just for an SSBM-specific event which can sometimes span over several days. People invest hundreds of dollars in attending these tournaments and so they need to know what's going on and when you look at the information provided, it leaves some questions. The venue sounds like it will be big enough to support a large number of people, but how is it going to support a large number of tournaments?

The double-elimination tournament bracket in Red Deer, split between about 4 televisions and 32 players took seven hours to run. There are TEN games listed for this event. We don't know how many players are attending to play the other games, we don't know how many of those said players are bringing TVs, but it seems to me that if 60 people showed up over all, and half of them brought their own television, this would probably still wrap up at about midnight.... I mean, sure there's ways to shorten an event. You know, knock it down from best of 3 double-elimination to best of 1 single-elimination and ta-da! you've saved some time, but no SSBM player is gonna travel to a tournament like that anyway.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know what it's like in other fighting game communities and like many people, the only exposure I've had to the tourney scene in other games is the Daigo parrying video from 3rd Strike. But I do know what goes on in the SSBM side of things and it's entirely inaccurate to think that "you guys don't want a toureny for smahs" when we're backed with an incredibly enthusiastic community of young people who are constantly craving local competition.

There are definitely degrees of professionalism when it comes to running a tournament. Part of that professionalism is in how directors and community veterans handle their announcements, presentation of information and interaction with the community members themselves. To waltz into this existing community of smashers across central Canada and announce a tournament with a month's notice that takes place two weeks after the one we've all been waiting for since this time LAST year isn't going to be an easy sell, you have to do some research. Top it all off by commenting on our disappointing attitude and ludicrous lack of rationale for even questioning the event and the climb gets steeper.

Because another part of that professionalism will be reflected in the actual event itself; the number of people that attend...the number of people who felt it was worth their while...did the event run smoothly...and if so, how many people are coming back for round two? The best tournaments combine both those elements of professionalism and nobody has to question anything.

I will be attending both CT3 and this presently unnamed event. Thanks to an inconveniently placed wedding on May 5th, you might also see more Calgary smashers than there would've been otherwise, so I hope this goes down alright. Not everyone will confirm attendance without knowing how it's going to work, after all.
Are you questioning my professionalism? If so you really need to get a grip here. Your acting as if I’ve never held a tournament, and have no idea how to run this ****. Truth be told I’ve never run a “smash” tourney and I’m not about to run one either. I put Carl in charge of this game, since he is the tournament representative here in Edmonton respective. All the equipment, (TV’s, Consoles, Comptrollers) is all up to him. He’s running the smash part of the tournament. ALSO in terms of who’s coming to this tournament. In case you hadn’t notice this tournament is aimed at the EDMONTON fighting game community. I did not say hey Canada or hey Alberta. I said Edmonton 2007 may 19th tournament.

So instead of questioning my ability to run a successful tournament for the “Edmonton fighting game scene” try taking the time to understand how **** will be run and when. There is time’s set up for each game. And each director is responsible for his/her game that he/she runs.

I my self have run over a dozen tournaments for the sf scene that have always been with multiple games. And have always had good number and nothing less then a lot of complement towards how the tournament was run

As seen here

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=125286

and here

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=124565

ALSO most if not all matches in sf games last no longer than 3 minutes and almost every game listed in this tournament will last no more than 3 minutes (aside from smash) So I’m more than confidant.

So 2 TV’s for each game is more than enough. If Carl needs more T’s for his game . Then that’s all in his hands. Do not question my ability to run a tournament. I’ve been doing this probably a lot longer then you have.

Ps: My typing skills are fine and dandy and have no barring or relation to my skill or intelligence what so ****ing ever

-Shiro420

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Why does everyone always think I'm flaming them?

Cool, well thanks for the info and the links, that's what I was hoping to hear. Attendance at previous tournaments, positive reactions, info about how the televisions will be distributed between the games, great!

Paying no mind to the randomly scattered profanity and that whole getting-all-defensive thing, this is the kind of information that is important. As to the "Edmonton fighting game scene," I was rather under the impression that you were shooting for a wider expanse of fighting game community enthusiasm since you contacted me and have spoken to people over on the Manitoba side of things as well. Sure, if this one is advertised specifically to the Edmonton scene, that's fine, but if we want to make things work on a more geographically complete expanse, we still all at least need to know what's going on in Edmonton even if we can't be there. It's a way to get the community involved and interested.

There's no need to lord your tournament-running experience over mine as though it will actually make a difference to me or anybody here. I'm probably the person who is most willing to...uhh..."take time to understand how shit will be run and when"...I mean, come on, this is what I do with my life these days. The critical level of professionalism that I would like to see is for you to not take any of this personally and instead focus on what is being said from an objective point of view and what is best for the event and the community. I like you, Shiro, I like your enthusiasm and I think it would be valuable to be able to work with you as this sort of thing gets more and more popular in the future. But I hate petty arguments on message boards; I don't put up with that anymore, so take it or leave it.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Cool, well thanks for the info and the links, that's what I was hoping to hear. Attendance at previous tournaments, positive reactions, info about how the televisions will be distributed between the games, great!

Paying no mind to the randomly scattered profanity and that whole getting-all-defensive thing, this is the kind of information that is important. As to the "Edmonton fighting game scene," I was rather under the impression that you were shooting for a wider expanse of fighting game community enthusiasm since you contacted me and have spoken to people over on the Manitoba side of things as well. Sure, if this one is advertised specifically to the Edmonton scene, that's fine, but if we want to make things work on a more geographically complete expanse, we still all at least need to know what's going on in Edmonton even if we can't be there. It's a way to get the community involved and interested.

There's no need to lord your tournament-running experience over mine as though it will actually make a difference to me or anybody here. I'm probably the person who is most willing to...uhh..."take time to understand how shit will be run and when"...I mean, come on, this is what I do with my life these days. The critical level of professionalism that I would like to see is for you to not take any of this personally and instead focus on what is being said from an objective point of view and what is best for the event and the community. I like you, Shiro, I like your enthusiasm and I think it would be valuable to be able to work with you as this sort of thing gets more and more popular in the future. But I hate petty arguments on message boards; I don't put up with that anymore, so take it or leave it.
Well I don’t exactly have a problem with you either Randall. I’d just appreciate it if you hadn’t come off as an elitist, pessimistic person.

That aside, your more than welcome to come to the tournament and “do some smashing”
I’m curious to see how many smashers Edmonton really has. A city only having one tournament a year for a game as fun and popular as this is no good. HYPE THIS **** UP.

Carl remember your in charge of the smash tourney so I hope you can handle it. If not let me know and I’ll arrange some help for you. And I almost got that wave dash and L canceling down 100% =p

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Are you an ***? do you know who I am? I'm going to have ot tell him who i am "dark renagade says in back ground (tell him man tell him)" I'm the juggernaut biiiiitch

=p

BKB

Smash Cadet
That's it! You gonna get pwned! Screw streetfighter, me and you, smash, $10, first to 3...

YOU WANT PAIN?!

FALCO REFLECTOR!!

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
That's it! You gonna get pwned! Screw streetfighter, me and you, smash, $10, first to 3...

YOU WANT PAIN?!

FALCO REFLECTOR!!
Counterd by over whelming mass of shiek attacts. L canceling btich. i got that on the lock down. and wave dashing. what cha got on me? I'm sending you back to newfoundland :cool:

woo I might join this, make ssb64 tourny plz LOL
I'd play that. Yoshi and DK ftw

FalseFalco

Smash Master
So CT3 is over, it went great.

Now we get to organize the next one.

I will update the first page tonight.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
It seems I can only attend the 1st half of the tourney, which means I won't be there for SSBM. I have things to do that night. Hopefully I can still enter 3S and SFA3 if they are early enough.

Friendlies maybe? =P

Top Bottom