• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Editorial: A Smashing Debate, Part 5 (Finale)

February 2016. The last batch of Smash DLC was released to the public including the latest Fire Emblem protagonist, Corrin, and everyone’s favorite Umbra Witch, Bayonetta – or is she everyone’s “favorite” Umbra Witch? Well, we’re here again in the Smashing Debate to discuss it!

Earlier this year, Spanish community leader Greward announced to the world that Spain would be banning Bayonetta, however, Smash España (the Spanish community hub) has not given an official statement. Time has only made this debate grown even more intense.

Today we brought Greward to give his personal opinion on this matter. But first as always, a warning and disclaimer.

WARNING

Excessive use of salt can give a bad taste to your meals – and to your opinions too! So we recommend not using it and keeping a healthy diet and a likeable attitude in such a delicate discussion.

DISCLAIMER

The following article does not reflect the opinion of Smashboards, the Back Room, or the Spanish community as a whole. The special guest is here to give his PERSONAL opinion and he’s not here to speak on behalf of Spain.

The Issue

Ever since the release of the last batch of DLC, many tier lists have reflected the Bayo Effect, with the Umbra Witch dethroning the Sheikah. Many people say that she’s "even more broken than Brawl Meta Knight," while others say that she is not broken at all. A separation in opinions is tangible, and we are here to discuss it.

The Perspectives

Pro-Ban: Her Up-B comes out on frame 4 which is too fast, and her Dive Kick is unpunishable; she has many good options and she can do amazing, difficult-to-DI zero-to-death combos (02D), or just rack up a lot of damage.

Pro-Choice: Many of her other moves are punishable, and her specials can be DI’d away from with the correct input. With patience, knowledge, and the correct tools, any character in Smash 4 can be defeated, including Bayonetta.

Our Opinions
Greward

I know with all certainty that Bayonetta is by far, the best character in the game and that she is more troublesome than any other character in the Smash saga.

Most Anti-Ban arguments are based on her not having as many high-level results as other characters in America, but I think that the reason behind that is because top level players simply don’t want to play her; they know she is too broken to play, and that if they do everyone would have to; essentially killing the game. They are probably waiting for some patch that fixes things before drastic measures have to be taken.

Personally I’m Pro-Ban, even though it hurts me. I enjoy playing against superior characters, and winning against a Bayonetta is something that the public loves. Unfortunately, for the sake of our game, she has to disappear.

Hangman

Bayonetta had instantly become a polarizing entity in the Smash 4 community. Her plethora of combos, kill confirms, 02Ds, and individual tools make her a dynamic force never before seen among the cast. While many people feel she may be too powerful and deserves banning, the often-cited case of her similarity to Brawl Meta Knight is brought up too frequently. I feel that treating them as the same is simply absurd.

Without discussing too much of what made Meta Knight an unrelenting force in Brawl, it is worth noting that he had tools that abused most of the mechanics available within the game and was able to utilize them in a seamless way that caused the metagame to develop completely around his presence.

Bayonetta does not have the same impact on Smash 4’s current metagame and in my opinion never will live up to the precedent set by Meta Knight. Bayonetta has a unique style of play that holds a strong resemblance to more traditional fighting games. In a genre where 02Ds, mix-up heavy movesets, poorly balanced unique mechanics, and distinct differences in viability are nothing new, Bayonetta appears on par for the course rather than the exception to the rule for Smash Bros.

Now, what does this mean for Smash 4? In my opinion, players should be studying information on Bayonetta the same way that traditional fighting game players have to study up on characters that they will play against in order to know how to counter what’s going to be brought up to the arena.

As the information is steadily becoming available and being spread, it moves the duty of knowing exactly what makes Bayonetta a tour de force in the current metagame to the players and commentators.Those who can bring her to a top level of play should be respected for their play rather than lambasted for playing her the way she is designed to be played.

Diosdi

Bayonetta is not even close to the worst balance example of balancing in the saga. Meta Knight in Brawl could do three UpAirs in a row; he could do a whole lap through Temple without touching the ground. Fox in Melee could do four UpAirs in a row and had almost no negative match ups. Bayonetta’s 02D combos are circumstantial and can be DI’d with proper timing and knowledge.

If we never banned Meta Knight or Fox or Pikachu at their apex, why would we do it to Bayonetta? Banning a character is taking away from a player its main. We can't do it without alienating people that play the game.

People say that Bayonetta is toxic, but bans are toxic.

If we banned Fox in Melee, how many people would lose their main just because some people don’t want to learn a MU? It sounds illogical and unfair. Bayonetta has shown tremendous popularity in tournaments in the last month or two, and a lot of people would be left without a main character if she were banned.

Her combos are circumstantial and can be DI’d out of properly, her neutral game is simply bad and relies on her variations of Side-B to start combos, her jab is one of the slowest in the game, and finally, her kill moves are predictable.

Banning a character just because people know how to play is not a measure for the sake of the game. It is a john.

---​

So what do you think? Is Bayo THAT good? Should she be banned? Let us know!

Author's Note: So this marks the end of our Smashing Debate series. I would like to give a special thanks to all of our collaborators: Nova, One Hit Smash, Hangman, OneSmash, and this debate's special guest, Greward. Please be sure to follow all of them on Twitter.

Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

OK, after reading a lot of these comments, I'm starting to think that these debate articles were a bad idea and it's a good thing that this is the last one ;-;

Dunno if I know what I'm talking about, but Bayo still has counterplay after all that, whereas MK and Fox are pretty solid once you learn them properly.
Yeah and imagine what will happen when Bayonetta players actually learn their character. Give it three months without patch and those matchups are gonna disappear as if they never existed at all. This Bayonetta situation is only the start of what she's able to do. Once they learn the character properly it's 02D at will bby. #burnthewitch

Leaving this here.

Also people's obnoxious behavior toward those who main Bayonetta are much more toxic than the character itself. Play your main against a competent Bayonetta and shut up and learn the matchup.

Witch Time doesn't activate unless a Physical move connects or is close to an opponent.

If you use Witch Time on a Projectile, she activates it but it doesn't do anything. Witch Time sucks on projectiles.
Actually she can approach you with a pikmin latched onto her and witch time at will, unless its the purple pikmin she won't be kept away and just take the hits as she easily approach

I don't think she should be banned until people get to know how she plays. Like was Mentioned in the post, we had to get to know how Fox plays, and how to counter him vs. just banning him right away. Banning someone this soon after they're released seems too quick and like a gut reaction. We should have her be legal for at least a few more months, see how it goes, and if she's still conquering everything, then we might want to reconsider then.
Yeah if she wins one big tournament we can ban her but not before that.

Leaving this here.

Also people's obnoxious behavior toward those who main Bayonetta are much more toxic than the character itself. Play your main against a competent Bayonetta and shut up and learn the matchup.
You know, this reminds me...
KuroganeHammer said that late side-b and second up-b are unDIable, and yet evidence towards the contrary (for 2nd up-b at least) lies before our very eyes.

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?!

Bayonetta should be banned from nintendo sponsered events to keep the game at a 10+ rating.
Fire!:mario::bomb::4bayonetta::smash::luigi: Hammer!

Last edited:
I hate Bayonetta. Sma4sh had such amazing balance that Bayonetta completely ruined.
You mean other than the top character before who had a projectile that basically negated the purpose of other projectile characters, had a fair that out-spaced sword users (which SHOULD have good reach), and had 50/50 kill setups that she could get into range of within only about 15 seconds of the match because of her unparalleled ability to rack up damage?

...Because that was still a thing that happened, and Bayonetta isn't even as strong as pre-patch sheik, and there was no "ban sheik" movement.

Fox shine offstage, that's a gimp, not a 02D.
It's also super easy to set up and has insane frame advantage. So, you know, not the best argument. The point is that Fox can kill at a moment's notice, pretty handily.

Last edited:
I wish the segment of Greward went into more detail as to their pro-ban argument. If I recall correctly, there's an article or Reddit post somewhere out there, surrounding the ban in Spain, that explains the point in greater detail, and yet very little of that was adressed here and the segment is really short, compared to the two longer anti-ban segments that also go into much more detail. Unless I'm somehow seeing or remembering things wrong, this seems a bit off to me.

Last edited:
The way I see it Bayo makes the game "easier" by giving a bunch of preset combos with little real thought involved, she gives a large reward for low risk and makes the other player have to worry about just about everything they do because she can just roll in and tack on 20-30% off of a jab or tilt.

While that is a massive advantage it by no means warrants a ban. It does warrant us as a community to look long and hard at what we believe to be the current "way smash is played" she could very well lead to new playstyles emerging or she could bring about the end of smash 4's competitive development because she is just that broken. Regardless she's in this game and we will have to live with it.

Arguing that Bayonetta shouldn't be banned because Meta Knight wasn't banned is ridiculous, because it is the biggest mistake that the Brawl community made, in hindsight. This mistake of not banning Bayonetta will be the single largest mistake that the Sm4sh community will make, unless Bayonetta gets fixed. [and I'm not using the word "nerf" because she could get nerfed without getting fixed, and the character would still be as bull**** as ever]

[I also still think that Bayonetta and Meta Knight share little in common otherwise; other than the fact that they've both had ban conversation happen with them. Other than that, Bayonetta shares more in common with Brawl Ice Climbers]

Leaving this here.

While that video is very useful, SDI will only save you in the 70-90% range and it only really works on that one combo and not the others we know about. You're also required to be very good at it, with Esam saying he doesn't always get out of it.

I find it silly that people are calling her Brawlkight 2.0, when it's Ice Climbers that she resembles.

Last edited:
Witch Time doesn't activate unless a Physical move connects or is close to an opponent.

If you use Witch Time on a Projectile, she activates it but it doesn't do anything. Witch Time sucks on projectiles.
Whenever a pikmin is stuck onto Bayonetta, it does constant damage which can activate witch time at any point. I have an Olimar main in the area that I play with all the time and that gives him huge trouble against Bayonetta. If she has a pikmin on her and he is off stage, she can just jump to him, use witch time, and take the stock immediately.

Last edited:
I am not pro-ban. Step one to nerf Bayonetta- Reduce vertical height of Witch Twist. Done.

Bayonetta is a 100% fair character when her busted 0-death chains (which all rely on carrying characters off the top with Witch Twist) are removed. All of her other aspects make for an interesting Olimar-like residual damage mechanic with Bullet Arts, and a difficult and technical counterplay system with the now nerfed Witch Time.

Bat Within is still stupid though. Let's be real there. Give her dodges at least some lag.

Relevant:

Oh, and the fact that there are people arguing that Cloud is better than Bayonetta because of Finishing Touch just shows how desperate they are to defend a character they know is broken. Let's ignore the egregiously long charge time and how bad his recovery is 90% of the time! He has a flashy kill move that's clearly OP! That completely justifies my favorite character's idiotic amount of tools and combos that work on literally anyone else at any given time!

lol did he just say fox is unbalanced? keep in mind that the differemce between each top tier is super close. so dont even try comparing metaknight to fox, it just doesnt make sense. also bayonetta is actually kinda dumb. but she does have other top tiers to fight her like rosalina i guess. i think we should end all dlc. jk keep mewtwo. :)

I am not pro-ban. Step one to nerf Bayonetta- Reduce vertical height of Witch Twist. Done.

Bayonetta is a 100% fair character when her busted 0-death chains (which all rely on carrying characters off the top with Witch Twist) are removed. All of her other aspects make for an interesting Olimar-like residual damage mechanic with Bullet Arts, and a difficult and technical counterplay system with the now nerfed Witch Time.

Bat Within is still stupid though. Let's be real there. Give her dodges at least some lag.
ok i think everyone agrees with u. no one wants to ban but the only reason its an issue is because there may not be another patch to nerf her. but , yes, nerfing her would be gr8 and i agree with you.:)

Witch Twist doesn't go very high tbh

At this point, we haven't seen enough Bayonetta in the Metagame to reach this point yet, but my initial impression is that in the long run Bayonetta will hurt the metagame, not because she's unbeatable at a high level of play but because she hurts the development of mid-level players.

Quite frankly, I see two issues arising, not in a couple of months, but in a couple of years (which may seem far away, but if Smash 4 sticks around in the same way as Melee it's in fact a very short period).

The first issue is that mid-level Bayonetta players will dominate local tournaments. We've already seen this happening, but I predict it will become far worse in the future. For mid-level players, the nature of Bayonetta's moveset will lead Bayonetta players to learn to perform 02Ds long before other players learn to escape them.

The second issue, and one that will build out of the first, is that the overall skill of players will decrease as the focus builds entirely on how to take down Bayonetta, or how to play Bayonetta. Frankly, while I agree that Bayonetta is more similar to Ice Climbers by nature, the same problem will arise as with Meta Knight. This could quite possibly kill the metagame, as mid-level players never improve to high-level status.

These are not surefire eventualities, but they are definite possibilities. Perhaps the metagame will develop more similarly to Melee and build in a positive way around defeating the top character (as the first step for most entry-level competitive Melee players is learning to take down Fox). However, the technical skill needed to play Fox is much more on par with the skill needed to combat him. In addition, I would argue that the dominance of Fox has in fact stagnated the Melee metagame, as most of the top non-Fox players currently have been around since before Fox rose to his current dominance, which has stopped many mid- and entry- level players from reaching that level.

Thanks for reading, and let's hope that whatever direction the metagame takes, this scene will continue to develop and better itself.

If anything, that further proves the argument to be ludicrous. One interaction and stock loss, while Bayo needs about 3-4. Also, gimps qualify as a 02D.
It is not a 02D. A gimp is a situation where you ALREADY HAVE YOUR OPPONENT OFFSTAGE which you had to do by winning in the neutral game in the first place, and then you shine them for the kill, which is NOT a combo follow up from whatever you got them offstage with. If they mixup their recovery successfully, they survive and might even be able to gimp you. That isn't nearly as broken as Bayo's 02Ds.

Last edited:
I mean technically of the DLC, Mewtwo is the only one to have won a major. Mewtwo won a major before Rosalina. Let that sink in.

Freaking busted DLC characters. Mewtwo is ruining the game. Kappa.
But neither Zero, Nairo, Ranai, Komorkiri, etc. were in that tournament, like they were in Genisis 3, which Dabuz would have won if Zero was not there.

Yeah and imagine what will happen when Bayonetta players actually learn their character. Give it three months without patch and those matchups are gonna disappear as if they never existed at all. This Bayonetta situation is only the start of what she's able to do. Once they learn the character properly it's 02D at will bby. #burnthewitch
Basic research will let you learn that 02Ds require a series of 50/50 or 66/33 reads on the opponent. Fail the read once and the combo is dropped. Essentially a vortex situation. Plus SDI up on second up-b removes her main kill confirm. Stop spreading misinformation.

You know, this reminds me...
KuroganeHammer said that late side-b and second up-b are unDIable, and yet evidence towards the contrary (for 2nd up-b at least) lies before our very eyes.

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?!
SDI

It is not a 02D. A gimp is a situation where you ALREADY HAVE YOUR OPPONENT OFFSTAGE which you had to do by winning in the neutral game in the first place, and then you shine them for the kill, which is NOT a combo follow up from whatever you got them offstage with. If they mixup their recovery successfully, they survive and might even be able to gimp you. That isn't nearly as broken as Bayo's 02Ds.
Gimps are often started from over extension of one player then another taking advantage of them. In other words reversals are very common. Bayo has the roofio, but it doesn't truly 02D unless rage induced. Having to face Tyroy in my region, I know what a good Bayo is.

Bayo can have reversals too. Puff rest and GW fire can auto Kill roofio combos. Plus, with ESAM highlighting how to get out of it, it should get easier.

Also fox can save shine to shine gimp. Its a fairly common start to people that weigh more than 87 units. Also Pillaring is much easier and painful to play against.

People will probably find new stuff with Bayo, but we will aiso probably find ways to get out of her combos as well, even if it's just with certain characters,

...it's times like this that we'd probably be better off just silently demonstrating the point instead of debating it. I mean, locals and regionals are one thing, but how many nationals has Bayonetta won? last I heard, not one. so this whole debate's going nowhere, and it will keep going nowhere just like past debates with this game...

if you wanna pull the Brawl Meta Knight argument, Bayonetta would have to have won roughly every national tournament she's been entered in, with maybe one rival (Ice Climbers in the brawl MK case) to combat her.

personally, I think it's tedious, but then, so are a lot of top tier match-ups with my mains Robin and Pit/DPit. if I lose to Bayonetta, I'll just figure I haven't formed a proper plan fast enough, and move on... despite being a bit salty as a result.

Last edited:
People don't wanna learn or develop a different playstyle.

Smash players here have one mindset, "GO IN HARD OR GO HOME" and if they can't do that, it's camping and it's bad and boring.

All you gotta do is Zone Bayo out and that's it but nope, it's too boring and bad so let's just ban her and watch her get nerf and people complain because people played her that way and people who hate her will say 'she didn't deserve it'

Sounds familiar :4diddy:. Smash fans are freaking babies and that's the truth. That much complaining killed PM's meta because "WE GOTTA NERF EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING BECAUSE MY CHARACTER ISN'T WINNING"

This is why competitive Smash is still somewhat of a joke
I wasn't planning on responding but this post had all kinds of wrong so i had to respond.

lets start with the top comment. um what? i dont even know what your saying, but most people dont have that mindset at all.

if zoning bayonetta out was as easy as you say? why are we having this debate. if she had no gap closers or projectiles of her own that might me possible, but she does.

also i admit that pm nerfs altered a lot but they also fixed a lot or he already prevelant pm jank in the game. the pm meta is doing fine.

since im posting however might as well give my input. bayonetta is a greatly designed character and while she could do for some nerfs i dont think we should be looking at nerfing her as much as BUFFING the rest of the cast. it seems that nintendo forgot about a lot of the case and while we are arguing over top tiers , all the low tiers continue to stay in the dust. not saying she doesnt need nerfs, but buffing the cast would surely help the meta game

The idea that mid level players are hurt by one character is kinda ridiculous to me
If smash wants to be a competive game and be taken seriously mid level players need to overcome that road block because it's a known fact via results that bayo isn't winning majors or even regionals she isn't getting top 8 even in a lot of cases.
You judge based on results in top level play and compared to other characters that dominate smash games (fox and Falco and mk in brawl) she doesn't have the placings.
It's time we as a community should stop baying those asking for a ban and tell them to get better as players. Shiek was a lot more dominate (and still is)

Basic research will let you learn that 02Ds require a series of 50/50 or 66/33 reads on the opponent. Fail the read once and the combo is dropped. Essentially a vortex situation. Plus SDI up on second up-b removes her main kill confirm. Stop spreading misinformation.

SDI
The chances you yourself actually use smash di is probably the same chance as anyone else has. Until this SDI is actually implemented by you or another simpleton, then I'll agree it works. Keep in mind there's also a chance you haven't faced a really good Bayonetta. Unless you're a top player from a region that isn't free then you're opinion is just as good as mine

The chances you yourself actually use smash di is probably the same chance as anyone else has. Until this SDI is actually implemented by you or another simpleton, then I'll agree it works. Keep in mind there's also a chance you haven't faced a really good Bayonetta. Unless you're a top player from a region that isn't free then you're opinion is just as good as mine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
Also did you forget about the DI part?

Last edited:
There's absolutely no reason to ban bayonetta because if she's really that overpowered and that strong that it is making it impossible for you to win, just main her. If you care about winning, but you can't because of this one op character then using her is still an option, I don't know why people refuse to use because if you don't main her when you have the option to then you have no right to complain about her.

There's absolutely no reason to ban bayonetta because if she's really that overpowered and that strong that it is making it impossible for you to win, just main her. If you care about winning, but you can't because of this one op character then using her is still an option, I don't know why people refuse to use because if you don't main her when you have the option to then you have no right to complain about her.
That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums.
Do you not care about this game competitively, as an e-sport? Have you not stopped to consider how quickly this game would get stale?
How about the pay-to-win arguments that still float around?
Or maybe, just maybe, there are people who don't want to play as her, whether it's because they don't like the character, her playstyle, or just because they have a shred of self-respect.

That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums.
Do you not care about this game competitively, as an e-sport? Have you not stopped to consider how quickly this game would get stale?
How about the pay-to-win arguments that still float around?
Or maybe, just maybe, there are people who don't want to play as her, whether it's because they don't like the character, her playstyle, or just because they have a shred of self-respect.
All I'm saying is that why complain about a character being overpowered when you can use that character. Also if you don't want to choose the best character in the game because they boring then that means that you aren't hell-bent on winning. There's nothing wrong with playing smash for fun and enjoying the game. Also everyone in melee uses fox and that isn't boring or stale at all. Also about the pay to win arguments, it's only like 6 dollars, and that's like saying anyone who's good with a dlc character is paying to win

Because if everyone uses the same character (especially one as flowchart-y as Bayonetta), things will get real boring real fast.

Except they don't.
Most people do use fox, If you look at melee top 8 of almost any tournament 6/8 of them will be maining fox. Only 1 of the 5 gods have fox as a secondary or main. Also Bayonetta isn't that overpowered, she can still be beat. Just because she's good that doensn't mean she's unbeatable. A lot of her moves can be smash di out of anyway. Not even Zero the number 1 smash 4 player supports the ban on bayonetta.

Most people do use fox, If you look at melee top 8 of almost any tournament 6/8 of them will be maining fox.
And if you look at the statistics I just linked, you will see that the vast majority of players use other characters.
Only 1 of the 5 gods have fox as a secondary or main.
...Okay.
Also Bayonetta isn't that overpowered, she can still be beat. Just because she's good that doensn't mean she's unbeatable. A lot of her moves can be smash di out of anyway. Not even Zero the number 1 smash 4 player supports the ban on bayonetta.
I was just arguing against your points regarding overpowered characters, I'm not saying that she actually is overpowered. (I am heavily leaning towards the "broken" side, though, for reasons I outlined in my first post in this thread.)

Top Bottom