• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Editing Projectiles: What do we know about this topic?

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting this topic as an open discussion, similar to the "Adding New Characters" thread that was started not long ago.

This is something I've been wondering for a while know. What do we know about projectiles? From what I understand, it's quite limited. I know that we are able to replace projectiles in some instances by knowing there ID number, but do we have any means of actually modifying them? As in, make it so Falco's lasers deal double damage or make G&W's bacon spike you, etc...

Last edited:

oksas

oak-sauce
I think in the SD Remix topic, at one point Ripple posted a version of Doc with pills that put you to sleep, which I assume requires modifying the hitbox data for the projectile. so... if that's possible, then surely it can be done with other projectiles, so long as their hitbox data locations are known

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
The hitbox data does seem to be located there; However, whenever I edit the hitbox data the hitbox loses its collision.

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Did you also try changing the size of the hitbox? I think that might be the cause.
Edit: Never mind, I accidentally was editing 0-1A instead of 0-14. I'm guessing the 6 extra bytes at the end have might to do with the texture or id.

Last edited:

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Did you also try changing the size of the hitbox? I think that might be the cause.
Edit: Never mind, I accidentally was editing 0-1A instead of 0-14. I'm guessing the 6 extra bytes at the end have might to do with the texture or id.
Don't worry, you won't need to use hex editors to modify these hitboxes soon c:

Also, lovin' the profile pic.

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, you won't need to use hex editors to modify these hitboxes soon c:

Also, lovin' the profile pic.
Well, technically right now you can use CH to edit them in a sort of janky, roundabout way:
Set Crazy hand to display raw values, and then find the hitbox you want to edit and copy/paste it over any hitbox in crazy hand. Turn off raw data and edit it whatever values you want. Then just switch back to raw data and copy/paste it back into the hex editor.

Very jank, and I'm sure that what your planning will be much more convenient but this works for the time being.

Last edited:

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Well, technically right now you can use CH to edit them in a sort of janky, roundabout way:
Set Crazy hand to display raw values, and then find the hitbox you want to edit and copy/paste it over any hitbox in crazy hand. Turn off raw data and edit it whatever values you want. Then just switch back to raw data and copy/paste it back into the hex editor.

Very jank, and I'm sure that what your planning will be much more convenient but this works for the time being.
It's funny, I've actually been doing that exact same thing to verify that each projectile hitbox is what I think it is :p

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman

That is what I've been doing as well.

Last edited:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
I just edited the hex values using HxD. It's much faster than using Crazy Hand (for now, at least) if you know how to go about editing it to get the results you want.

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody know anything about how to spawn projectiles? Would it be possible to do something like make Link fire an arrow with his forward smash? Or make Mario fire two fireballs at the same time?

Also, where might one find the texture files for projectiles?

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Does anybody know anything about how to spawn projectiles? Would it be possible to do something like make Link fire an arrow with his forward smash? Or make Mario fire two fireballs at the same time?
I've been trying to understand how they work for quite some time now. It appears to be varied; No projectile is spawned exactly the same. Often the bare minimum a subaction will contain is some event(60 00 00 00 is by far the most common, but 4F 00 00 01 is used in Mewtwo's forward throw) that tells the subaction when to spawn the projectile, but not what projectile to spawn. My theory is that whether or not a subaction should spawn a projectile is defined somewhere in Start.dol(Similarly to how subaction interrupts are defined).
AC XX YY ZZ is another common event found in projectile spawning subactions, both before and after the projectile is spawned, but I haven't noticed much(if any) change in the projectile if I edit or flat out remove that event.

In the past, my efforts to graft projectile spawning code from one subaction to another that normally does not spawn projectiles hasn't been met with success. I'm going to try out a couple things now, though. I'll edit this post with the results.

EDIT: Yup, no luck with grafting Mewtwo's shadowball code onto his nair. Tried calling subroutines to the charge/throw subactions, and tried just grafting the relevant data from them onto his nair. No shadow balls.

Also, where might one find the texture files for projectiles
I think they're lumped somewhere in Pl*Ef.dat; Melee Toolkit can't find where they are if you open up those files with it, but it seems like the most likely place. I'll dig around some and see if I can't shed more light on it.

EDIT2: Can't believe I forgot to mention, yes you can make Mario shoot mutiple fireballs pretty easily. His spawn script is just 60 00 00 00, so call that each time you want the projectile spawned.I played around with that a while back, actually.

Important note: DON'T have self-damage scripts in projectile spawning subactions. It crashes the game unless it's Pichu doing the spawning. That fact paired with the fact that events such as 0x50(Change direction?) and 0x4C/D/E/F as well as many others behave differently in projectile spawning subactions than they do in "normal" subactions makes me consider the possibility that this is all defined in Start.dol more seriously.

Last edited:

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
Kind of an old thread, but it was suggested to me to add hurtboxes to fox's and falco's laser projectile.
I'm not sure how to find other projectile hurtboxes to copy the process but if there might be a way, then I'd like to know and discuss. : D

Thanks and hi~

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Kind of an old thread, but it was suggested to me to add hurtboxes to fox's and falco's laser projectile.
I'm not sure how to find other projectile hurtboxes to copy the process but if there might be a way, then I'd like to know and discuss. : D

Thanks and hi~
I don't think they have hurtboxes, I think its just normal clanking hitboxes.

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they have hurtboxes, I think its just normal clanking hitboxes.
I tried changing the laser hitbox interactions in crazy hand to 3 (it's originally 0) and it doesn't clank x__x.
Supposedly turnips and Link's bombs...things like that....supposedly they all have hurtboxes is why I ask. I'm not even sure myself. *shrugs*

Recall from Magus' notes just in case you were looking for them:
0 .Does not hit any hitboxes?
1 .Possibly able to hit something that 0 can't?
2 .?
3 .Able to hit any hitboxes while on the ground, and projectiles on ground or in air

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
I tried changing the laser hitbox interactions in crazy hand to 3 (it's originally 0) and it doesn't clank x__x.
Supposedly turnips and Link's bombs...things like that....supposedly they all have hurtboxes is why I ask. I'm not even sure myself. *shrugs*

Recall from Magus' notes just in case you were looking for them:
0 .Does not hit any hitboxes?
1 .Possibly able to hit something that 0 can't?
2 .?
3 .Able to hit any hitboxes while on the ground, and projectiles on ground or in air
Its probably a flag for the hitbox properties. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Hitbox#Hitbox_types

blue_spark

Smash Rookie
where is the file name for all the stuff like hit box etc and how do I recompile it once moded (Im sorry Im a noob to moding melee) also I have dolphin and a hex editor

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
Support for editing hitboxes is already in Crazy Hand. This thread is useless. This thread should probably be locked. @achilles1515 ?
I mean... this thread was about projectiles, not hitboxes in general. I don't think it needs to be locked. Not that it matters much, it's a dead thread.

B blue_spark , what happens when you try to run the program? A 32 bit OS shouldn't be an issue for running CH (though I've never been able to test it, both my machines are 64 bit).

blue_spark

Smash Rookie
I mean... this thread was about projectiles, not hitboxes in general. I don't think it needs to be locked. Not that it matters much, it's a dead thread.

B blue_spark , what happens when you try to run the program? A 32 bit OS shouldn't be an issue for running CH (though I've never been able to test it, both my machines are 64 bit).
Itopen and stuff will lanch but it when I open a iso it crashes. also the window dont show up in my bar thingy of apps i dont know why

utari was saying it might be becuase I dont have jre even though I installed it :/

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Itopen and stuff will lanch but it when I open a iso it crashes. also the window dont show up in my bar thingy of apps i dont know why

utari was saying it might be becuase I dont have jre even though I installed it :/
Make sure you have the x64 or x86 depending on your OS. Also make sure you open up crazy hand with Java SE Platform, NOT WinRAR (When you first install winRAR it gives you the option to automatically associate .jar files with it, which is a REALLY bad idea.). If that is still a problem, perhaps reinstall JRE.

Top Bottom