• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeslip Mechanics & Proper Platform Pressure

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hiya fellas, Kinzer here again. Another huge info dump incoming, one that might take months to complete; but I can guarantee you I'll have 95% of the data by Christmas day and not a day later.

First and foremost, if you have not already I would like for you to take a look at God-Is-My-Rock's (GIMR) very well done, detailed, and easy to follow explanation of what exactly Edgeslipping is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFtJDxsqMs

From another thread, briefly explaning the purpose of this repository thread and the kind of info you can expect to learn/study:

GIMR did a lot of homework when he made that video. I'm going to be ignoring everything that's on-hit, as what I'm mainly concerned about is the on-block stuff.

There isn't anything in that video that isn't accurate. What it is is that it's a very isolated sample. In this case, it's Battlefield's level two platforms.

I don't know what exactly it is, but I would figure that in these cases it's a characters stats that determine whatever happens as a result of this mechanic. For Sonic, he's the next closest thing to average without going to Mario. Average height, average fall speed, yada yada yada.

It's either that, or maybe each character is actually unique in the sense that their animation only belongs to them. This would explain why characters like Wario/MK/Etc. who are light, slow-fallers, or shorties and stubbies get put into this situation despite their anomaly if this is the case. I understand GIMR did not explain why it works, just how, who, what, and where (here on Battlefield).

I'll be making an attempt to explain these anomalies as the guide is in progress

Now if it wasn't already made clear, this is only if the characters are facing in towards the platform. If their back is facing towards the platform, every character can immediately act and this mechanic is null.

... Or at least to the point where you can't force them to get a bouncing landing. What some of you may not be aware of is that Sonic's pressure game because more of a coin flip in your favor all around. In the case that the opponent does have their back facing in towards the platform all you would need to do is make sure that they're close to the edge; close enough that they'll get pushed off.

Fair is a wonderful aerial for this kind of pressure, as it has 6 hits all-together and it just takes one to get the next hits to land. Now if it is the sixth hit that knocks them off, you're kind of screwed. If the opponent were to have their back facing away from the platform and they didn't get knocked down they'll be able to counteract in a manner more familiar, but that can be alleviated with a good judgement call.

Going back to the other scenario, Sonic has not one but two ways to almost force the opponent to get put into this situation with Back and Neutral Aerials. For what it's worth, their shieldstun is moderate, and both have phenomenal shield pushback, which is what you'll be looking for in the case that the opponent is not immediately on the edge of the platform.

The best part is that the only variable is the character and the platform itself.

That's why I was also thinking that for characters we cannot jab-lock with this tactic, we might just possibly be able to guarantee an UTilt with the right positioning, if not other attacks.

This is really something I should put in like metagame or Brawl tactical though, since this isn't specific to Sonic, not the majority of this anyway, heh.

:093:

To put it in full perspective, this thread is specifically for Sonic's pressure when an opponent is standing on an elevated platform. This is not unique to Battlefield, but rather for most of the stages and their respective transformations; which are universally accepted in the competitive Brawl scene.

• Battlefield
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Battleship Halberd
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokemon Stadium I
  • Pokemon Stadium II
  • Castle Siege
  • Smashville
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Brinstar
  • Jungle Japes

You can expect these stages to be covered in great detail. Some exceptions such as troublesome spots and certain stages may be excluded from the final project; reasoning for that will also be provided at a later date. If you have a specific request, please let me know and I will do my best, as I know I cannot cover everything in one go. Obviously some stages have been left out due to their questionable legality in the scene, once again though if you would like to see something filled out by all means let me know.

I hope that as this guide progress in its progress, I'll be able to allocate pictures with diagrams. Please excuse the lack of clean-cut editing, as I do not have a good editing program like Photoshop; but rather Microsoft Paint. I may also upload videos to go with the diagrams, or just use video guides all-together.

As a matter of fact, I may end up doing both first (coming (hopefully!) soon!). I would like for people to leave feedback on which they prefer, as putting up videos means more effort on my part and the part of the people following them, but quality will be guaranteed and data will be absolute. On the other hand, imagery will be in a much simpler format, but visual learners may be put in the dark being unable to understand text/motionless imagery.

Every character will eventually be covered. For now, Sonic's specific edgeslip mechanics will be explained as proper to this sub-forum. If you have a character you would like to see done before another, leave a request and I'll get them done sooner than I would have gotten to them otherwise.

At the end, you will be able to see what Sonic can abuse in every character's collapse box. Naturally, some characters are susceptible to more.

This guide is a WiP. Nothing you see will be in the finalized project, and as time goes on things will be better explained, and more detail will be put so as to help people maximize this information.

[collapse="Sample Character"]

An entire section dedicated to explaining each and every fine detail you will come across in a chracter's collapsebox/section. Please bare with me here, this example will be cluttered, but there won't be a detail missed. If you want to look at an "example" with less details or with all the "potentially unnecessary details" taken away, please refer to the characters that have their data complete.

Sample Character

The character's name.

Total Edgeslip animation: X Frames.

Edgeslip animation is how long a character will suffer through this animation regardless of anything else.

The only variables are where, what attack was used (different shieldstun and pushback), how far in to the center of the platform they are, and how high above the platform is from another platform below.

Every stage and their respective spots of relative and relevant interest will come with a confirmation. A Green "Yes" means they get put through the hard landing, a Red "No" means they will be able to act before they hit the ground below. In every case, a total calculated time will be noted down for every character and how long it takes for them to touch the ground, regardless of whether or not they can prevent the set-up. Each character is unique in that some take longer than others to touch the ground below.

In the case that they do not hit the ground before they can act, there will be a brief summary of how Sonic will be able to take advantage of this characters at certain places and/or in general at the end; assuming he can take advantage of it at all.

[COLLAPSE="Battlefield"]Battlefield:

Battlefield 1st level platform: No. X Frames.
Battlefield 1st level platform: Yes. X Frames.

[collapse="Ledges"]In the case that there is a ledge to snap on to below, the character will by default snap to it ASAP unless the opponent is holding down or they are able to act sooner then before they're force to snap. Usually that's not the case unless the opponent was facing away from the ledge; which as already explained before they will naturally be able to act very quickly, or for those few anomalies which will be noted if such is the case. They will be highlighted in Orange.

In general, "ledged" (elevated) platforms will not be covered, as a single character (neither the aggressor or the victim) should not be able to take advantage of those vulnerable frames before they are forced to snap aside from the exceptions. Again they will be noted if necessary. This is also considering that ledged platforms usually don't have platforms under them to begin with as well.

However for those who know I'm "wrong" on that fact alone, yes there are some exceptions still. Take for example the Rock/Mountain Transformation of Pokemon Stadium I. On the left side; with the tall mountain, there is both a ledge and a platform far down below for that short amount of time. An extreme example yes, as I really doubt that there are any characters that if they do not snap to that ledge will somehow take long enough to fall all the way down to Pokemon Stadium I's main platform (or the ledge on that left side of the main platform for that matter), but you know; I got it all covered and I'll find the more realistic examples... Should they even exist...

Going into more detail about ledged, elevated, and highly elevated platforms, here we have two examples of a character that: Can act sooner than they forced snapped to the ledge, and the same character that in the case they hold down, will take an incredibly long time to recover from their animation (so much so that they'll die).

Nevermind that no character will have two different possible results, the examples are imaginary and are by no means set in stone for everyone, a majority, or even a minority. They will be specific and will be covered if and when necessary. If there is no special/ledged section, assume the norm and that they snap to the ledge for this stage/spot at that time. Some of the cases may just be so obvious that I will not bother wasting the time to mention it.[/collapse]

Notes(1): Watch out, this character can act faster than they are forced to snap!
Notes(2): This character suffers an abnormal amount of Edgeslip animation and if for whatever reason they hold down on the D-Pad and don't snap to the ledge in their window of opportunity will fall to their doom.

Yes and extreme and unrealistic example I know, just as long as you get the point.

[collapse="Notes"]Notes are special conditions that must be met in order to meet a certain, specific criteria. They will be highlighted in Yellow and explain what that condition is and a (few) way(s) to met it.[/collapse]

Battlefield 2nd level platform: No. X Frames.
Battlefield 3rd level platform: Yes. X Frames
Notes: An attack with enough force must hit Sample Character's shield in order to prevent it from DIing towards the center of the stage and avoiding the 2nd level platform.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="More stages"]

For simplicity's sake, I believe I have covered every general detail, and every exception that should ever come up. If you want to look through the rest of this sample for the sake of completion, go ahead but don't expect much, if anything to be new at this point.

Delfino Plaza: Yes

Frigate Orpheon: Yes

Yoshi's Island (Brawl): Yes

Battleship Halberd: Yes

Lylat Cruise: Yes

Pokemon Stadium I: Yes

Pokemon Stadium II: Yes

Castle Siege: Yes

Smashville: Yes

Rainbow Cruise: Yes

Brinstar: Yes

Jungle Japes: Yes[/COLLAPSE]

[/collapse]

[collapse="Sonic"]Sonic the Hedgehog

Total Edgeslip Animation: 26 frames

Battlefield:

Battlefield 2nd level platforms: Yes. 26 Frames
Battlefield 3rd level to 2nd level platform: Yes. 25 Frames
Notes: An attack with enough force must hit Sonic's shield in order to prevent him from DIing towards the center of the stage and avoiding the 2nd level platform.

Delfino Plaza:

General Notes: I do not have a lot/any pictures of Delfino Plaza at this moment. I also will not time the (random) takeoff platforms with the levels, as they only appear at specific times that very few, if no one really pays attention to, and depending on where the takeoff platform is at the time before it fully transitions, it can or cannot confirm hard-landings. Just something to know if you see the camera all of a sudden changes angles, zoom in/zoom out, etc.

Takeoff Notes: Until I can get a picture/video compendium for all of them, please bare with the text diagrams and try to visualize what they represent in the games.

Takeoff [/=\] 2nd level platform: No. 28 Frames.
Notes: Until I can get a picture/video of this platform, this is the one that has a small second level platform, and a 3rd level platform with the edges lower than it's center.
Take off [- '' -] 2nd level platform: No. 31 Frames.
Notes: Until I can get a picture/video of this platform, this is the one that has two 2nd level platforms that go past the main platform, and a 3rd level platform that is above the main platform in the center.
Takeoff [- ''] 2nd level platform: No. 28 Frames.
Notes: Until I can get a picture/video of this platform, this is the one that has a 2nd level platform on the left, and a 3rd level platform on the right that isn't too much higher than the 2nd level. Both are within the boundaries of the main platform.
Takeoff[\''/] inverted platforms: Yes. 27 Frames
Notes: Until I can get a picture/video compendium of this platform, this is the one that has platforms dipping in towards the main platform, and a balanced platform in the middle.
Takeoff[\''/] middle platform to 2nd: Yes. ~22 Frames.
Notes: Until I can get a picture/video compendium of this platform, this is the one that has platforms dipping in towards the main platform, and a balanced platform in the middle. 22 is approximate because depending on how far Sonic was sent, he may get the hard landing sooner, or not at all if he avoids the inverted platforms and DIs towards the center.

Mini Delfino Left Isle Notes: Until I can get a picture/video compendium of this small island to the left of the main island, this is the isle that has the water like a beach, as opposed to the one on the right where there's a 90° angle and a higher elevated ground to the water and the walkable ground.

Mini Delfino Left Isle ground to Water: Yes. 9 Frames.
Notes: Instead of being put into a hard fall, Sonic is put into a swimming animation. Watch out for spikers!

Mini Delfino Right Isle Notes: Until I can get a picture/video compendium of this small island to the right of the main island, this is the island that has the water at a much lower height than the walkable ground, as opposed to the one on the left where the water isn't too far off the ground.

Mini Delfino Right Isle Ground to Water: Yes. 18 frames.
Notes: Instead of being put into a hard fall, Sonic is put into a swimming animation. Watch out for spikers!

Canal Way Notes: Until I can get a picture/video compendium of the "Canal Way" as I so dub it, think of it as the place on the left of Delfino Isle from bird's eye view. This is where there is that puddle of water on the far left, with 3rd level platforms surrounding it, a 4th level platform that's on the right side of the puddle, a 1st level that's the lowest in this transformation with water you can trail-blaze over, and a 2nd level platform to the right of all of it.

Canal Way 2nd level platform: Yes. 20 Frames.
Canal Way 3rd level to 1st level platform: Yes. 23 Frames.
Canal Way 3rd level to Water Puddle: Yes. 20 Frames.
Canal Way 4th level to 3rd level platform: Yes. 24 Frames

Main Plaza Notes: Until I can get a picture/video compendium of the area, this is basically the place that would be in front of the huge statue (but this appears to be missing in Brawl for some strange, unknown, and unexplained reason.) To the right and left are a couple of stairs which both lead to puddles of water.

Main Plaza Ground to Water: Yes. 18 frames.
Notes: Instead of being put into a hard landing, Sonic is put into a swimming animation. Watch out for spikers!

Main Plaza buildings Notes: Until I can get a picture/video compendium of the buildings, this is where you have a walk-off on the left side. For some reason in Brawl, the pipe leading to one of the levels which was originally in the middle is now gone, and on the right side there's no ledge over there.

Main Plaza buildings right side: Yes. 18 Frames.
Notes: This is the latest they can act. An attack that pushes them further will make them get the hard landing sooner.
Main Plaza buildings left side: Yes. 18 Frames.
Notes: This is the latest they can act. An attack that pushes them further will make them get the hard landing sooner.

Shine Gate Notes: Until I can get a picture/video compendium of the buildings, this is where the big shine sprite is, and the shine sprite tower.

Shine Gate Left side: Yes. 24 Frames.
Shine Gate Right side: Yes. 24 Frames.

Delfino Getaway Notes: Until I can get a picture/video compendium of the Delfino Getaway as I so dub it, this is the place with the umbrellas, the walk off on the right side, and the notorious wall which you can't see for the most part on the left side. The left side also happens to have a waterway dipped lower than everywhere else which you can trail-blaze.

Delfino Getaway Umbrellas: Yes. 22 Frames.
Delfino Getaway 2nd level platforms: Yes. 23 Frames.
Delfino Getaway Magnified level 1 platform: Yes. 23 Frames
Notes: If you can notice, there are two levels of platforms on the left side when you're magnified. Although highly unrealistic, this is the result of getting knocked off onto the lower ground from the lower magnified platform.
Delfino Getaway Magnified level 2 to magnified level 1 platform: Yes. 22 Frames.
Notes If you can notice, there are two levels of platforms on the left side when you're magnified. Although highly unrealistic, this is the result of getting knocked off onto the lower magnified platform from the higher magnified platform.
Delfino Getaway Magnified level 2 to level 1 platform: No. 35 frames.
Notes: If you can notice, there are two levels of platforms on the left side when you're magnified. Although highly unrealistic, this is the result of getting knocked off onto the lower ground from thr higher magnified platform. The lower magnified platform is very small and thus in most cases impossible to land on, not to mention something like this can really catch people off guard so this will be good to note.

Frigate Orpheon:

First transformation Left platform to center platform: No. 29 Frames.
First transformation Right platform high to center platform: No. 29 Frames.
Notes: 29 is the longest time for this animation. If the platform is lowering, the animation will be reduced.
First transformation center platform to right platform low: No. 28 Frames.
Notes: 28 is the longest time for this animation. If the platform is rising., the animation will be reduced.

Second transformation center platform to main platform: Yes. 23 Frames.
Note: Sonic must be hit with an attack that has enough force to send him to the higher part of the main platform. If given the chance to DI to the center, the animation is longer, to the point where Sonic will not get the hard landing.

Yoshi's Island (Brawl):

Battleship Halberd:

Lylat Cruise:

Pokemon Stadium I:

Pokemon Stadium II:

Castle Siege:

Smashville:

Moving platform: No. 29 Frames.
Notes: This "trap" will only work when the platform is over the main platform.

Rainbow Cruise:

Brinstar:

Jungle Japes:

[/collapse]

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Don't mind me, reserving this post because if you haven't already figured it out, this will get very long and detailed and I really kinda don't wanna lose any of this data.

Seriously.

I don't think you have any idea how long it took for me to wait to get everything concerning Delfino Plaza, and I have eleven stages to go.

I'm trying but ugh, RNGs~!

Reserved.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
And just one more, because I swear on top of all the text, the pictures might just do a number to this thread.

Reserved.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
awesome, i look forward to seeing the results

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Give me one week at the earliest.

I need to mentally prepare myself for this weekend's tourney.

I'm a bit uneasy that not only am I all too easy to bait, but I cannot bait people myself... and I only have a business week to figure out how am I going to fix that/work on it...

... And if nothing else, I need to trick myself into thinking that I can do well despite that glaring weakness.

:093:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
well ill be the first to tell you what ive been you from the get go is uthrow> nair at 0 to low percents. i usually try to follow them so the soft hit forces the edgeslip. we also can do with with VSDJ and then ff Nair. This is awesome because we have some nice platform setups in the form of sh ff uair> buffered utilt. or fair>utilt. and thanks to our nice vertical hitbox on utilt it can some times catch peopl who tend to FH OoS to prevent being pressured.

Top Bottom