• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding Marth

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
I was watching Luigi vids on youtube when I saw something Luigi did against Marth (I thought it was Rofl). He smashed/throwed marth off the stage, and when Marth was recovering Luigi walked to the edge, turned around and put up a light shield. Then Marth did his upB, hit Luigi's shield and Luigi automatically edgehogged. I tried this too (against cpu), but I was just pushed away from the ledge and Marth made it. Do you have to put your shield in a direction or something?

pockyD

Smash Legend
you should angle your shield over the edge, and you should make sure you're exactly on the edge (best way for this is to roll towards the edge)

incidentally i believe this works against luigi too =)

nublet06

Smash Lord
when you hit them off the edge follow these steps.

1. Roll in to the edge so you are as close as you can be
2. before you are done rolling hold Z so you light shield
3. lightly hold the analog stick towards the direction of the ledge so that your shield hangs over the edge a bit.
4. when you get hit by the attack.....STOP holding the direction and let luigi fall on the edge.

if you keep holding the direction you might DI away from the ledge and end up getting edge gaurded yourself. and in marths case....it might be a ledgehop spike.

this works against luigis over B. not his up b tho.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
It's called the "Marth trick" for a reason. Against most other characters, either the trick won't work, or simple edgehogging would be the better option.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i believe the theory is that it works against characters whose up-b hits exactly once (and hits above the edge)

nublet06

Smash Lord
its good because if you try to wavedash in to the edgehog marths up B will hit you before you can grab the ledge.

when you do this you WANT them to hit you tho. it takes advantage of marths who like to sweet spot a lot.

mrb1tch3s

Smash Ace
-.-...u say that like u can always misfire...and yay for egde hogging ^_^...i have never seen this work against luigi but i know it DEFINITELY helps against fighting marths...cuz they are punks ><

Top Bottom