• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge techniques

bigman40

Smash Master
Well, I've been playing yoshi for a while now and everytime I get onto the edge, I get smashed off cause im too predictable. Is there more edge techniques I can use to keep my opponent guessing? I mostly edgehop and atk or try to go over them. any suggestions?

Sharky

Smash Master
well, here's a few different ways that I can think of, and remember that it's 3:30 in the morning, so I may forget something =P

all of the below is assuming that you start hanging on the edge

1. standard edge recovery stuff: your basic attacking, jumping, and rolling from the edge. I try not to use these very often as their lag afterward can be punishable

2. double jumping: quickly dropping off the ledge and double jumping as soon as you leave it. In most cases this is a pretty safe bet, as you'll have your double jump protection to get you past most attacks that will come your way, though if your damage is high or your opponent is spike happy, you could end up losing your jump and falling to your doom. You can DJC into attacks as you come up onto the stage as well, just make sure that if your opponent is attacking, that you wait til after he attacks to make your attack, otherwise you're off the stage again, this time without a jump. Alternatively, you can try to space your double jump so that you don't pass right by the edge of the stage and still fly over your opponent, though this is difficult to do.

3. Wave Landing: Yoshi is particularly easy to waveland with out of his double jump, so this is a pretty useful option. Like #2, you can avoid getting knocked off by any immediate attacks with yoshi's double jump abilities (only for the first few frames, as you'll want to waveland quickly,) and you can do a variety of things out of a wavelanding. I like to mix it with a sidestep so that my opponent can't knock me back off the edge, although his sidestep is rather crap, so don't overly rely on this. like #2, you've gotta watch out for spikers and attacks in general at high damages, and once you waveland, remember that you no longer have that DJ protection. This also takes a slight amount of practice, cause if you do it too early, you'll simply airdodge into the side of the stage and fall to your doom. Obviously if you do it too late it's just an airdodge.

4. Double jump into airdodge: a bit tricky to get the positioning down with, but it's pretty safe unless your opponent's expecting it. Basically you want to drop off the ledge, and double jump so that you keep your distance from the edge until you want to airdodge. Hopefully you can either get behind your opponent or threw his timing off and caused him to attack early. Of course, if he waited, then he'll just send you back off with a tilt or (maybe charged) smash, so this also has its risks.

5. edge cancelled eggs (ECE): see the pinned yoshi thread for a better explanation of this one, but basically using option #2 but as soon as you're at/slightly above edge level, you use your egg toss. You'll grab the ledge after tossing the egg. If you're really good at it (see just about any video of fumi to know what good is,) you can keep this up for a while, and send your opponent scrambling for cover. However, if you're not too good at this, you can either kill yourself by using the egg toss too early or get killed by your opponent by jumping too high and putting yourself in danger of being hit. It takes a lot of practice, but it's a good option once you get it down (just don't spam it, the risks for #2 also apply here.)

6. Egg Roll: hitting back on the control stick to get off the edge quickly followed by a DJ + egg roll in the direction of the stage. The slight elevation gained by the attack will get you back on the stage. This attack in general isn't very good, so I wouldn't rely on it much unless you wanna have fun and you don't have someone waiting for you by the ledge to make a move.

There, that's all I can think of. If I didn't make something clear or said something I shouldn't have, I blame my sleepyness =P

OK, I've edited this for the last time to add more stuff, I'm going to bed >.< =P :yoshi:

I'm going to paste the suggestions that people post in the thread here so it's all in one place.

Rob_Gambino said:
When you go over them with a double jump waveland on a platform, so you get your jump back. Don't forget the basic ones like pressing L or attack too. Throw an edge cancelled egg and then waveland on to the stage works well if they're not in your face.
rmusgrave said:
My favourite move is the mid-air dodge on an angle so that you hover only just above the edge (goal is to be 1 frame of falling from landing). This way, you have invincibility followed by lag that is only as long as your wavedash, and the mid-air dodge time gives you time to DI properly.

This can dodge the entire Sheik downsmash animation!!
eltrotraw said:
If at high percents, ignore using any basic edge-getup techniques except for the plain standing up one.

In fact, I think the standing up one is the safest for Yoshi at any percent(though I think the same way for any character) since you can do whatever once you're back up, and it's the fastest.

Blade42

Smash Apprentice
i didnt realize you could use the egg roll while hanging on the edge to get back on the stage, still dont think it would help too much tho because my friends usually hog the edge like a b****

bigman40

Smash Master
it does some of the time. you have to use it when they are off guard. i tend to catch a few of my friends with it but i never overdo it cause it's easy to get countered out of the roll.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
When you go over them with a double jump waveland on a platform, so you get your jump back. Don't forget the basic ones like pressing L or attack too. Throw an edge cancelled egg and then waveland on to the stage works well if they're not in your face.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
My favourite move is the mid-air dodge on an angle so that you hover only just above the edge (goal is to be 1 frame of falling from landing). This way, you have invincibility followed by lag that is only as long as your wavedash, and the mid-air dodge time gives you time to DI properly.

D

Deleted member

...i dont understand how this is done. Can anyone explain it differently? If it dodges shieks whole dsmash, im interested.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
If at high percents, ignore using any basic edge-getup techniques except for the plain standing up one.

In fact, I think the standing up one is the safest for Yoshi at any percent(though I think the same way for any character) since you can do whatever once you're back up, and it's the fastest.

Sharky

Smash Master
added the above suggestions to my post so anyone who looks in here can see it all in one place (with due credit given of course) =)

park5150

Smash Ace
just try to mindgame...if he suspects something, then counter it...

if he expects you to jump, then wavevland...if you don't know what he expects, then just stall and do someting crazy

D

Deleted member

just try to mindgame...if he suspects something, then counter it...

if he expects you to jump, then wavevland...if you don't know what he expects, then just stall and do someting crazy
Suiciding is an awesome mindgame :p

launchpadmcqak13

Smash Apprentice
Suiciding is an awesome mindgame :p
The best.

I switch it up all the time, but I normally try to dj waveland from the edge, I really think it is the quickest thing you can do. But punishable if you are caught doing it because, like stated before you are nullifying your dj. Seriously, the best advice I can give you is just be random.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
If their not too close I always start with some ECE and look at how they react, if they never seen it before and start doing stupid stuff which continuously gets them hit I keep ECEing, although this doesnt happen a lot. If they run away to a safe spot, just climb on (and continue the egg spam :p). Now if they come close to the edge with the intention to gimp you, stop ECEing immediately.

Now yoshinator summed it up nicely what options you have. I basically never use egg roll, except if I'm doing friendlies and want to be flashy :p. If your on a platform level, like Rob Gambino said, DJ to waveland is really nice, and you can catch your opponent a lot of times off guard if you then run off the platform to RDJC'd nair. If their close to the edge, a standard A to get up has pretty surprising range, but of course if you use it too much they might catch on and shieldgrab/wd back to attack. I use wavelanding also pretty much because its just too good if you get near max distance.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll try explain it a different way then.

Let's say you were attempting a horizontal wavedash off the edge (the longest wavedash you can do). However, you time it wrong and you mid-air dodge horizontally, and end up hovering just above the edge. I can't remember exact frame data, but the mid-air dodge will take 4 frames to make you invincible, and then last for 20ish frames.

Once the mid-air dodge ends, you will fall. But since you are only just above the ground, you will land almost straight away (i.e. your goal should be having 1 frame of fall time after the dodge). Then you will take your normal 15ish frames of lag you get for landing after a mid-air dodge.

The goal of this technique, is to dodge an attack and have minimal lag after the dodge. Obviously, you don't have to dodge horizontally if you can space your mid-air dodges correctly. I prefer to be recovering from below the edge and then dodge on an angle so that I end up just above the edge.

D

Deleted member

Alright thanks. I got it, though it seems kinda hard to do consistantly without wavelanding. Ill try it. thanks.

Top Bottom