• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Hop Waveland

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I'm curious as to how everyone else does it because I'm sure some methods are quicker and overall better than others. I have a hard time doing it quick enough to maintain my invincibility frames long enough to get an edge. So feel free to share.

The way I've been doing it is I just drop with the control stick, jump with X, and airdodge with R. I obviously fastfall this way, so should I do it another way? With the c-stick? Or is this method good enough if you can do it quickly?

Just some advice, tips, and what everyone else does would be nice. Thanks in advance.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Umm how would you go about doing it with the C-Stick?

:S

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Umm how would you go about doing it with the C-Stick?

:S
With the C-Stick if you hit away from the edge quickly (don't hold it) you simply drop slowly. This allows you to DJ and air dodge or DJ and do an attack quickly. Captain Falcon players do this often, to my knowledge. I just find it a little cumbersome.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i drop down with the analog stick, jump with y, airdodge with r.

Standard stuff.

Keeping frames doesnt depend on the actual speed that you do this, but how fast you get off the ledge once you grab it.

I was watchin some bob money matches last week, and i remember that if you blinked you missed him grabbing the ledge. >.<

Yomi

Smash Cadet
Yeah, DogySamich has it right. You don't get the invincibility frames simply for leaving the ledge, you need to hold on to the invincibility frames you got for grabbing the ledge. Work on the timing of that and then a standard appraoch to the edgehop waveland should work.

Gea

Smash Master
i drop down with the analog stick, jump with y, airdodge with r.

Standard stuff.

Keeping frames doesnt depend on the actual speed that you do this, but how fast you get off the ledge once you grab it.

I was watchin some bob money matches last week, and i remember that if you blinked you missed him grabbing the ledge. >.<
Same for me, basically. But I love uairing -> JC usmash from the edge when I can.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Yeah, DogySamich has it right. You don't get the invincibility frames simply for leaving the ledge, you need to hold on to the invincibility frames you got for grabbing the ledge. Work on the timing of that and then a standard appraoch to the edgehop waveland should work.
I realize that, but if you are slow on getting back up you are going to lose those frames.

I guess I'll just keep practicing.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I realize that, but if you are slow on getting back up you are going to lose those frames.

I guess I'll just keep practicing.
that's what im trying to say.

You dont need to have like, frameperfect movement getting over the ledge, you just need to be faster getting OFF the ledge.

meaning, it doesnt matter how fast you jump and airdodge, it matters how fast you ledgehop when you initally grab the ledge.

So what im tryin to say is, you really dont need to practice the actual waveland animation, you need to practice ledgehoping off as fast as possible.

__

I know im talkin in circles, but i actually didnt realize this till a few weeks ago when i was checkin out bob$. I've found out that you can have a retardedly big and sloppy waveland. That's actually safer than having a frameperfect one. >.<

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah, definitely. Sometimes it just isn't initial reaction to immediately ledgehop. That's what should become reflex.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
yeah, till that one time jump a lil too late and then

WHAM, AIRDODGE TO YOUR DEATH.

then you get all sad :(

I hate when it happens. One day i'll learn. :/

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
that's what im trying to say.

You dont need to have like, frameperfect movement getting over the ledge, you just need to be faster getting OFF the ledge.

meaning, it doesnt matter how fast you jump and airdodge, it matters how fast you ledgehop when you initally grab the ledge.

So what im tryin to say is, you really dont need to practice the actual waveland animation, you need to practice ledgehoping off as fast as possible.

__

I know im talkin in circles, but i actually didnt realize this till a few weeks ago when i was checkin out bob$. I've found out that you can have a retardedly big and sloppy waveland. That's actually safer than having a frameperfect one. >.<

Okay, I see what you are saying now, and that makes sense. I already do that almost as fast as possible; I went into slow motion to see when is the earliest time you can drop from the ledge, but yeah, I get what you're saying now. Thanks.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
No problem. Just tryin to make sure we understand cause i've been on the "other side" too.

I was all about tryin to get the frameperfect wavelands. And got constant suicides. And recently i've been slowing down on the wavelands. Sure you end up with less time for frames, but realistically, you're either gunna attack when you get up or roll, most likely. >.<

So, imo, you can afford to take the little loss of invinciblity and be aight. But again, that's just my opinion; dont take it to heart. >.<

__

If you get frameperfect wavelands, everytime, blindfolded with 1 arm tied behind your back; while using a DDR pad, by all means. Milk that ****. :-D

I wish i was as good as you. :(

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I personally don't drop with the analog on the edge, I push backward instead. That way I don't fastfall and I'm not as far away from the edge when I go to waveland.

Top Bottom