• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge guarding

dustman

Smash Rookie
Hey, i recently started playing with pikechu, but I am unsure fo how to edge guard.

My problem is that I don't think Pikachu has a meteor smash
When edge guarding, i usually jump out and try to hit them with an arial down smash.

Of course, pikechu has great recovery, but is it just me or does it have kinda bad arial moves?

Another way to edge guard could be to stand on the enge of the cliff and use down+b (thunder) when the enemy comes back.

Do you have any other ways to guard the edge as pikechu?

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu has a lot of great options when it comes to edge guarding. I recommend reading the Pika guides that are stickied, but just in case they don't mention them I'll give a basic run down of Pika's edge guarding game.

Its easiest to explain edge guarding with Pikachu dependent on the location of the enemy. If below the stage (of course every opponent needs different approaches) regular thunder jolting should be enough.

For almost any location, jumping off the stage, jumping back, and using Thunder while still in the air makes it a bit more difficult for the opponent to approach, unless they have a great vertical recovery and just simple slow fall down waiting out the thunder. I wouldn't recommend your variation because it isn't restricting anything, the opponent can simply grab the edge. The variation I provided is known as creating a Thunder Wall. A wall off the stage prevents immediate recovery to the edge.

Pikachu has a great Aerial game. Unless you're up against an opponent who attacks with a disjointed hitbox such as anyone with a sword, you should be set. Down aerial has a lot of damage and knock back to it. My personal favorite is a neutral aerial when you have max momentum, and up aerial can be great for juggling.

Watch almost any video on the pikachu forum to change your attitude about aerials.

Hope your Pika research works out,

Os

dustman

Smash Rookie
thanks a lot for your reply

ill read the guides and try watching some videoes :)

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Either....
Drop from Edge, Jump, Thunder, Quick Attack to edge if needed: Use this if someone's trying to recover, recovering and aiming for Pikachu, or edgegaurding.
Drop from Edge, Wait, Jump back on stage while using Thunder: Similar, but more effective because it makes a full-screen wall of Thunder for them to avoid.
Jump from Edge using Thunder: A different variant of the first used to avoid reflectors.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Yes all that has been said is correct. I personally like ledge hopping to 3 thunders, then qa'ing back up to the ledge. btw, I know what you meant by aerial down smash, but the though of a dsmash in the air gives me chills.

Waddle Dee Army

Smash Apprentice
1. Jump once off of the cliff and a second jump straight up. Then use down special. Let Pikachu go as far as you need in the first jump, but only jump straight up on the second jump.

2. Jump twice and get as much distance as possible then use down special. Make sure to only use the down special when traveling up from the second jump. More difficult.

3. Grab on to the cliff and fall. One quick jump and use down special. Recover.

Using this three techniques is very effective.

Also randomly just use the special attack to edge guard. Just jump and press special to shoot one or two voltage shots. They sometimes hit, but it is difficult to aim.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I usually just run after them and nair or double jump and dair them since pikachu can come back from very far with just the QA alone.

krehz

Smash Ace
ya i personally think that one of he most effecive egdeguards when used correctly, is nair most ppl don't expect it............

5ive

Smash Champion
It depends. I almost usually edge hog and Edge Guard from there. If they are at a high percentage, i usually sweet spot a nair. I also have a unique version of the thunder wall, where i edge hog, drop down, jump (no di) and thunder. The thunder stops all momentum, and I don`t even have to jump or up b to the edge, when done right.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It depends. I almost usually edge hog and Edge Guard from there. If they are at a high percentage, i usually sweet spot a nair. I also have a unique version of the thunder wall, where i edge hog, drop down, jump (no di) and thunder. The thunder stops all momentum, and I don`t even have to jump or up b to the edge, when done right.
I do that, but they can wait you out and just go over you.

krehz

Smash Ace
hey i still think that my technique can be used for unexpected edgeguarding i will ry to get a vid up or just show someone on wifi :p

Edit: I can drop down, instantly QAC on the very edge of the stge by quacking up then down and instantly do thunder, it is a strategy that most ppl would def not expect. hard to explain tho cuz it sounds more simple than it is...

5ive

Smash Champion
I didn`t say I made it up. I don`t even know why you say I make new things up.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
A "unique version" implies that no one else uses it, but pretty much every decent pika player uses this move. Also, I think you made a post in the Pika discussion page about a combo that you discovered. Again, many of us have been using that combo and many like it. Just last night we talked about it in the chat room.

Trust me, I don't bash people for without a reason. Matter of fact, I don't flame people at all. I just saw this and felt like pointing it out.

krehz

Smash Ace
dude i havent seen anybody use this move like ever, maybe its just too hard to do on wifif or somethin but really are u even sure exacly what i am talking about? like i said it is kinda hard to explain.....
if u have a vid of it i would love to see it too :p

5ive

Smash Champion
To talk about the Meta Game, here`s a ``combo``, or string that works at low percentages.

It`s a half hit fair, dtilt, grab, dthrow, up tilt.

If the dtilt happens to trip them, you can half hit fair to dtilt again.

Here`s a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcqwZEDkLfQ

It says nothing about me discovering it.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Lol Krehz, I wasn't talking about what you. I was talking to 5ive.

@ 5ive: It clearly said discovered. You edited you post and then quoted it here. I'm not stupid. Look at the edit time.

5ive

Smash Champion
Last edited by 5ive; Today at 03:25 PM.

I edited the link. I`m just gonna stop. I don`t want to pick a fight. Hai Bad News Bear.

krehz

Smash Ace
lol i know i really thought u were talkin about me :p im a lover not a figher lol unless u start a fight then i will kick ur *** lol

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah so anyway...back to the subject. Something that would probably work on somebody with a mediocre recovery is when the opponent is off of the level, bair them, so they get sucked down with you, then QA back to the stage. I don't have brawl right now so can somebody test this?

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Yeah so anyway...back to the subject. Something that would probably work on somebody with a mediocre recovery is when the opponent is off of the level, bair them, so they get sucked down with you, then QA back to the stage. I don't have brawl right now so can somebody test this?
who do you consider mediocre recovery? i just wanna know to test, like average vertical, or overall, or what?

gallax

Smash Hero
when he says mediocre he probably means someone who doesnt have multiple jumps, a horizontal recovery, easy gimped, or very fast falling.

Wrexsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wrexsoul
One thing I like to do is Full Jump off the edge, thunder when appropriate to hit them (with the thunder passing behind your back), jump straight up and thunder again, then Quick Attack back to the stage. If you hit with the first thunder on the stage half of your opponent (i.e. if they're recovering on the left side of the stage, hit their right half to send them back out to the left), the trajectory they get sent at will position them exactly where the second thunder will hit (and near enough to the cloud they'll most likely be in hitstun still), and far enough up to most likely kill them over the top. Looks sweet when it works :p.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
But if you miss completely, you waste a lot of time that you could've just hit them with a T-jolt or something. That would probably work if the person wasn't expecting it.

Roller

Smash Legend
read the guides, they give examples of what you can do. I recommend learning how to thunder off the edge without dying and edgehogging. While using jolts occasionally as well. Sometimes they can do wonders.

Top Bottom