• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Edge Guarding: An Overrated "Tactic"~

Status
Not open for further replies.

viparagon

Smash Ace
I think it is somewhat overrated.

I hate hearing "how snake should never make it back to the stage" once MK knocks him off. Its simply untrue if you watch any battles.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
But being overrated implies you should stop doing it (or do it much less). Are you honestly going to stop trying to edge-guard opponents because of how "overrated" it is? Edge-guarding successfully saves you the work of having to build your opponent to 300%.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think it is somewhat overrated.

I hate hearing "how snake should never make it back to the stage" once MK knocks him off. Its simply untrue if you watch any battles.
You're a wise man

@Buzz

I never said you shouldn't do it. People just expect too much. Especially in Brawl

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because actually you're saying nothing.

You say, that a Zalda fair sweetspot KOs at 80%. I interpret it as "while Edgeguarding", which is apparently wrong. Since this topic is about Edgeguarding what was it that you meant? It has no relevance in this case.
Actually, I meant "while edguarding" since on many stages, if they're at the center of the stage or on one side and flies to the other, it won't KO them at 80%. The point here is, however, that it KOs if it hits.

You neglected this important part and started arguing on how to avoid it hitting altogether when I argued that if it hits, it KOs. Thus, it's not at all overrated to try to sweetspot Zelda's Fair against the more pedictable recoveries at all since the option would be just to not edgeguard at all and the reward a KO.

And no good player is going to airdodge all the time.
Which is my point. You cannot not get edgeguarded every single time. The only option other than edgeguarding is to not do anything at all. Thus, edgeguarding isn't overrated at all.

If the opponent has enough ways to prevent Edgeguarding attempts while being offstage itself it's overrated.
Your "evidence" is flawed and can be worked around by the edgeguarders not being so **** predictable themselves.

Out of these opions, adding % is the only one that works. And not even reliably or to a notable extent
Or just KO:ing if they're at KO percentage.

"Teh pros" don't overate it. when did I say it? There are other people playing competitively and still are overrating it
You never said that your argument pertains only to those at a low level of play.

As a former Melee player you're supposed to know that it's not that easy. Plying the game beats all of that with ease.
"Former" implies I stopped. It's not that easy but it helps. And once you've reached a certain level, you can get a lot from watching videos and reading on SWF.

And it's not like I don't ever play Brawl. In fact, I play it around once every week or every other week, often against other good players. I just won't travel abroad for Brawl tournaments and I might not even travel within Sweden for Brawl tournaments.

But I still play it. Just not as seriously as Melee.

Or maybe the opponent is in a position where he has just as many options as you - the edgeguard - does?
What are his options, really? Try to hit you before you hit him? Try to work around the edgeguard? It'd still be, at best, a guessing game, unless his name is Meta Knight or something.

Also, what part of "successful edgeguard" is confusing you here?

Then why are you debating Brawl related stuff?
Why are you debating English when you cannot differentiate between "Fair" and "Fsmash"? The world will never know.

I admit that I have to specify that.
And if you had specified it, I would not have argued against you. Because we are in perfect agreement on this.

I never argued that idiots don't overrate edgeguarding. Idiots over- and underrate everything. Only an idiot would argue otherwise.

It's still more people than you think. And most of them are better players and know more about the game than you (give them credit for)
Then they're kinda good players that make bad decisions. Those exist too. I thought you meant "in general, at all levels of play". But since you didn't, then, we're, still, in agreement.

Yuna doesn't play Brawl seriously apparently.
Not doing something =/= Not knowing anything about it

You can not play a sport yet know more about how it works in theory and in practice than even the best of athletes. This is why most athletes have coaches.

I don't know about that...I don't think Yuna would claim that he's a better player. It doesn't matter in the end.
That's because I would never argue that I'm a better player than anyone unless they brought it up first ("I'm a better player than you! Ha ha!" or something) since it is irrelevant most of the time. It doesn't matter if someone is better than someone else if that 2nd person is more knowledgeable. Being good at Smash does not automatically make one knowledgeable.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
@Buzz

I never said you shouldn't do it. People just expect too much. Especially in Brawl
Sooo... you're referring to a cultural problem rather than an actual strategical problem? "People just expect too much"? Don't play Brawl then. If you expect to win but lose, you expected too much, and the game is overrated.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Sooo... you're referring to a cultural problem rather than an actual strategical problem? "People just expect too much"?
You can say that.

Don't play Brawl then. If you expect to win but lose, you expected too much, and the game is overrated.
Or you can give help these people by showing where they go wrong amd to make them look for other tactics.

Somebody can't DI yet. Don't play Brawl if you can't DI!

viparagon

Smash Ace
Sooo... you're referring to a cultural problem rather than an actual strategical problem? "People just expect too much"? Don't play Brawl then. If you expect to win but lose, you expected too much, and the game is overrated.
yea, just don't take this thread to seriously. at most, its going to minorly reshape the way most people think of edgegaurding.

CO18

Smash Hero
Edgeguarding is amazing. Some matchups would not be nearly as easy for Dedede if Bairing them while off the stage didnt **** so bad.

Also d3 and mk would both lose to snake, mk possibly being ***** by him if it wasnt for effective edgeguarding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom