• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge cancelled Turnip pulls

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
I think you pull the turnip at like the 15th? frame, so any time after that would work but in Melee the turnip pull is so short that you really don't need to at all.You've just got to create the proper space to not get punished for pulling the turnip

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
It's not really very usable because you continue the animation just off the stage forcing a recovery

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Unless you do it on a platform. Then you can pluck a turnip and keep moving. IMO it's really useful; can help create space and squeeze a turnip pull in places you normally couldn't get one safely. As for the frame data, I have absolutely no idea. Probably varies depending on how long you press down; try a really quick press. I can say from experience that the window is really, really small, but I've never seen frame data

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I didn't even think about platforms. I'll try that in a match sometime

Taylorswift4President

Smash Rookie
Yeah I am mainly talking about using this on platforms. This is something that I think can be extremely useful in things like the Marth Match up where you just don't always have the time to pull a stationary turnip without getting bopped.

Specifically, I have in mind a situation where I jump, double jump land onto the platform, immediately dashing toward the edge and edge cancel the turnip pull. This is super fast.

My double jump lands are on point (this is actually pretty easy and something that peach mains need to start learning how to do imo). However, getting the turnip pull so quickly is rather hard. I'm getting a lot of empty runoffs. The reason I would really like to know the frame data is that if this is something where there is only a 1 or 2 frame window, then consistent execution is going to be rare and it may not be worth the effort. However, if there is something like a 4/5 frame window then that is more within the realm of possibility. If anyone out there knows how to check this out or knows someone who could I'd be grateful - & I think it could help Peaches out in general.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I still don' know the frame data and this is a little off topic but I realized the reason that double jump landing isn't used often is because it doesn't conserve momentum like a waveland. Yeah, just something to keep in mind.

Also, even on a platform it is kind of questionable. It doesn't reduce the lag, just changes you're position. And it's pretty close to frame perfect... I just don't know if it's worth it.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
this is a little off topic but I realized the reason that double jump landing isn't used often is because it doesn't conserve momentum like a waveland.
While this is not wrong it's still incredibly useful because you can act out of it faster than you can act out of a waveland. A waveland/dash you can act out of on frame 10, a DJL you can act out of on frame 4. That's a pretty noticable difference. Not to mention Peach's waveland is SO GOOD so honestly I think, all things considered, DJL is better than waveland if you can DJL pretty consistently.

Furthermore you can DJL on the ground via Double Jump Cancel, which can allow you to completely stop all momentum instantly when dashing, or can turn you around better than if you pivot out of dash (depending on how long you dash for).

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Oh I'm not discounting the technique but I'd say it's better to use in some situations. Like I was watching Armada practice one time and he was doing platform landed double jump into up smash to follow spacies and combo more. That's really cool. There's a lot of other times to use it also,

I was just talking about platforms. There's lots of fun ways to do it on the ground. I love me my Q drops

Last edited:

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Eh, it's not hard enough to say it's not worth practicing. Give it a try here and there, you'll get it eventually! I'm just getting to the point where I'm gonna use it frequently in tournaments. As for the DJL on platform stuff, I think it's essential to learn. If you don't the movement, the increased speed can be awesome ^_^

Top Bottom