• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easy tip to do the Short (interrupted) Fox Illusion

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I dunno if anyone has posted on this topic before.
but anyway. alot of people ask for tips on how to interrupt the Fox Illusion so that you can do a shorter version of it instead of the long one.

Some people just mash b really fast and usually that works if you press it fast enough...but as always its better to just learn the timing

anyway what i do is I do it by sound.
the sound for the move is basically like

DING, WHOOOSHH

just time it so that you press B at the exact same time as the WHOOOOSHH sound.

Another tip is, if you miss it, that USUALLY means that you pressed it too EARLY. so just adjust it so that you press it a nanosecond later.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
No he's right. But this technique is so prevalent the whole thread is beside itself in uselessness.

*continues waving at Silent Wolf*

Use your mod powers.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
@Raynex: LMAO

I don't use the shortened illusion but maybe I will... for show off purposes like canceling it on the edge of platforms a lot of times. A trick that I always wanted to learn was the ledge drop>illusion it looks very crazy and is very hard to do (there are cheap ways to do it tho >_>)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
inconsistent. It'll probably get you a shorter illusion, but which shorter one? no one knows. Just learn the timing for each one and you'll be good.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I think scotu made a guide or useful(?) info on how to cut the illution in x different lenghts each one with a different timing, and with frame data also...Idk how many they were I think there were 4 lenghts

thedough

Smash Rookie
Short Illusion is a godsend against an edge guarding Marth. :mad:

Oh wait, they all edge guard! Ha.. Ha.. Ha..

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
inconsistent. It'll probably get you a shorter illusion, but which shorter one? no one knows. Just learn the timing for each one and you'll be good.

i've never encountered a situation where it mattered 'which' one i did.
there are very few situations to use it in the first place

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
LOL @ RainEX for asking for the thread to be closed then participating in the discussion. Funny guy.

Fox's short illusion is a rather slow timing and you can think of it as right at or right before the WHOOSH sound like Janitor said.

Falco's on the other hand has a very fast timing, right after the first DING.

This to me is very contradictory if you learn each of their timings for wavedashing, shl, shffl, and most everything else. The button inputs are mostly the same but falco's are all slower and fox's are all faster....except the short illusion. Hrmmmm something to think about.

Eggm

Smash Hero
i've never encountered a situation where it mattered 'which' one i did.
there are very few situations to use it in the first place
I use all the different lengths with fox and falco consistently, and I end up using it at least 10x or more at a smashfest/tourney.

JFox

Smash Hero
Its actually very necessary because it gives you extra options while recovering. Eggm throws it in a lot against me, and it works really well.

For example, you can make it look like you are going to illusion onto the platform, and than fall onto the ledge by shortening it. Its definitely worth learning, even if you don't use it a whole lot...its kinda like learning to ledge tech. You will find that there will be times it will save your ***.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
I hated that when it when I'm trying to recover from a distance, realizing I only dashed about an inch closer to the stage!

Top Bottom