• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easy Nana only Blizzard (Leaves Popo free)

saintrage

Smash Cadet
*Edit* i edited my post after Hylian posted to clarify my ideas. If you have any Other questions just ask.

I have found an easy desync that makes only Nana attack first with blizzard, and only blizzard. that is pivot and dash so that Nana is slightly behind Popo, then doing blizzard slow enough that Popo has to crouch, but Nana does it like it was done quickly and performs blizzard.

How to Perform

1.When standing still tap <-- on the control stick and then quickly tap -->
This will cause the normal desync for a Popo ice block if you let go of the control stick. However if you hold the control stick, Popo will keep dashing forward, leaving Nana behind. (this is what you want)

2. After about half a second press down and then B. If you do it to fast then both Nana and Popo will do Blizzard.

*EDIT* The timing on this, is rather hard to explain. Whenever i actually think about doing it, i can't do it. When i let muscle memory take hold, i can. The timing for pressing down b seems to be fractionally slower that if you were dashing and you wanted to Blizzard right there. It really just takes practice, and after that its rather easy to do.

3. What should happen is that Popo should crouch, and not do blizzard, while Nana comes running behind and does blizzard.

The reason this is a variation of the initial dash desync is because that particular desync is the only desync that can be done quickly where only Nana attacks, and is done after dashing forward, and ending the dash. The Reason only Nana attacks is because there is a split second, maybe 3 or 4 frames where it is possible for Nana to do an attack while Popo does his crouching animation. Obviously this is a very small window, and hard to perform consistently.

What Leaving Nana behind you does is greatly expands this window of opportunity, making it much easier to perform.

The point if this technique is that Nana does a Blizzard while Popo is free to do absolutely anything. It can fake out your opponent and is much less predictable than any of the other desyncs. Plus, just randomly throwing a Nana Blizzard out there, while the person who really matters stays free, isn't something the other desyncs that require you to hit your opponent first offer.

I'm not even sure of all the possibilities for this, but here are a few i can think of:

1. Free Grabs: If spaced properly, its like a free grab on your opponent. If they shield, you grab. If they don't shield, depending on the range it which Nana is hitting them and their damage, its another free grab. Blizzard is freaking awesome ^^

*note* If blizzard is spaced so that only the very end of it is hitting your opponent, they won't turn into ice until about 80 - 90%. Meaning that is a free grab on ever character at all the Non killable percents.

2. Edge guard: If your opponent likes to hang on the edge and wait for you, throw out a Nana blizzard and cause them to either fall down below the stage, or do any of the other recovery's.

-If they fall, follow them with a Bair and stage spike them. (Nana will finish in time for you to belay to the edge if necessary), or chase with ice blocks and gimp their recovery.
-If they roll, just grab with them they come up
-If they jump, follow them with an Uair or blizzard of your own, or w/e else you want.
-If they attack, Blizzard with popo and Grab with Nana; or, walk backwards a little and Fsmash them; or, you can...well you get the idea.
-If they just stand up, then punish them for making the second worst choice.

3. Approach: Its nice how when you walk with Nana blizzard, sheslide with you... makes for a nice little shield, however imperfect it maybe verse Characters with range.

Other things

To Avoid this your opponent may jump. Well now he's in the air, you're desynced and still on the ground. Who has more options?

Or they will run away. Luckily ice blocks make for great chasers when desynced.

This move can be performed well out of almost all characters range, and with the range of Blizzard (it is longer than Marths Fsmash) you are nearly always safe during the Blizzard.

You can use this technique to dash towards or away from your opponent. If you dash away you can also reverse the Blizzard (this takes a little practice).

Obviously this trick is situational and you wouldn't want to rely on it solely, but it is another tool under your belt.

Any comments? Flames? i can take it, i'm tough :psycho:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Meh. I usually just pivot an ice block. Popo will ice block, then you can have nana blizzard at the same time.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
The thing is, is that the pivot ice block more predictable. With this desync Nana seems to randomly do Blizzard, and Popo is still free to do anything right after (unlike the ice block, you have to wait for the animation to finish) Try it out in practice mode, just to look at it.

Its not that its any newer, or that different from the other desyncs, its just that its the easiest to perform (That i know of) that makes Nana do the attack first.

Its almost like how dash dancing with C. Falcon in melee could trick your opponent into spot dodging. When the blizzard is performed Popo still appears to be dashing at your opponent. With ice blocks Popo is a lot lets threatening.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
This is a variation of the pivot de-sync; the initial dash de-sync is a bit different.

I'm just wondering what advantages this has over simply pivoting into Blizzard. Nana, for the most part, can do anything Popo can, so pivot->Blizzard (which makes Popo Blizzard) should have the same uses, and is even a little faster.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
You didn't really explain how to do the actual technique. As far as I can guess you just want us to pivot into a blizzard and only Nana will do it?

Trapt497

Smash Ace
yeah I'm a little confused too. Go into a bit greater detail please? Thanks.

Good find by the way. When I understand how it works I will use it a lot with ICs.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
Ok, I really wish i could get a vid up, but i don't have the right equipment. So i'll try to explain.

1.When standing still tap <-- on the control stick and then quickly tap -->
This will cause the normal desync for a Popo ice block if you let go of the control stick. However if you hold the control stick, Popo will keep dashing forward, leaving Nana behind. (this is what you want)

2. After about half a second press down and then B. If you do it to fast then both Nana and Popo will do Blizzard.

3. What should happen is that Popo should crouch, and not do blizzard, while Nana comes running behind and does blizzard.

The reason this is a variation of the initial dash desync is because that particular desync is the only desync that can be done quickly where only Nana attacks, and is done after dashing forward, and ending the dash. The Reason only Nana attacks is because there is a split second, maybe 3 or 4 frames where it is possible for Nana to do an attack while Popo does his crouching animation. Obviously this is a very small window, and hard to perform consistently.

What Leaving Nana behind you does is greatly expands this window of opportunity, making it much easier to perform.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
This is a variation of the pivot de-sync; the initial dash de-sync is a bit different.

I'm just wondering what advantages this has over simply pivoting into Blizzard. Nana, for the most part, can do anything Popo can, so pivot->Blizzard (which makes Popo Blizzard) should have the same uses, and is even a little faster.
To answer your question on a different post...

Advantages over Popo only Blizzard:

1. Popo is the one that needs to stay alive, Nana is dispensable.

2. Popo can keep moving anywhere he wants while Nana is Blizzarding. He can run away, jump, attack with an aerial after a DJ, he can grab and wait for Nana to finish (nana will just go ahead and throw if out of the box), etc. All of which Nana can not do.

3. The technique its self looks like Popo is running in for a grab, but can then jump backwards while Nana throws out blizzard. So its like a fake out, and can be much less predictable than a simple pivot to Blizzard.

4. You can not slide Popo's blizzard with Nana, of course.

5. Pressure: Nana can not pressure your opponent while Popo does blizzard.

I believe someone else has found this out before me, because i saw a post mentioning a Nana only blizzard, but that was in the chaingrab thread in General Brawl.

I looked for one about this before posting and saw nothing like it, so i went ahead and made a post about it.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
cant you just desync by using up B?

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
Oh, this is news? Meh, I always used to do that. :p In fact, I usually do the crouch-desync trick without requiring the pivot beforehand, so it's much quicker. Nana-only blizzards pwn. It's way better than having both your characters Blizzard at once right into a PK Magnet, healing Ness/Lucas for 90%. ^_^ Land a Nana-only Blizzard and punish the Magnet.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Oh, this is news? Meh, I always used to do that. :p In fact, I usually do the crouch-desync trick without requiring the pivot beforehand, so it's much quicker. Nana-only blizzards pwn. It's way better than having both your characters Blizzard at once right into a PK Magnet, healing Ness/Lucas for 90%. ^_^ Land a Nana-only Blizzard and punish the Magnet.
Lol owned.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
So you perfected the timing on the intial dash desync? or is there another way to do it i dunno about >.< either way, i'm glad there is a faster way to do this. I just found this way to be much easier to time.

Top Bottom