• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

East Point Pictures Releases Short Video on Prog, Smash Community

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
As many are already aware, top commentator and community figure Progducto has retired from commentary for the time being due to health issues that have kept him from being at his best. Since Prog's final tournament, EVO 2014, there has been an outpouring of support and love, from the Cannon Award received at EVO to the #thankyouprog hashtag that has been dominating Twitter feeds since Sunday.

"This community has molded me into who I am today."
Last night, East Point Pictures, the company behind the excellent 'The Smash Brothers' documentary, released a short video highlighting Prog. In this video, Prog talks about his experiences as an openly gay man in a gaming community. Watch to the full video below.

Thanks to East Point Pictures for releasing this short video, and as always to Prog for the work he's put in for the Smash community.

The Derrit has something in his eye. WHO'S CUTTING ONIONS??? Make excuses with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

D

Deleted member

I'll be honest. I cried when I heard he was retiring, when he was awarded the Cannon award at Evo, and while watching this video. We'll miss you Prog. May your legacy in the Smash community live forever.

#ThankYouProg

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Hey Prog, it's Cobbs. It was a pleasure commentating with you at Impulse 2013 in Toronto. I await the day we can commentate together again as my smash coverage career continues on with Smash 4. Hope to see you in the future, thank you for the experience and I wish you the absolute best!

- Cobbs
CobbsGames

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
when i first head prog, i was like "who's this guy with the weird way of talking?", not "Why is there a gay commentator on here?", and i am completely positive that this is what most, if not all of the smash community thinks at first of prog, and that really shows something about us. we really accept everybody, have some of the cleanest lingo out of the fighting game communities (havent always, but the change that has happened over the couple of years or so have been dramatic). all we care about is if you like our game, or at least respect out game.

Last edited:

Wylia

Restore faith in humanity
3DS FC
4184-2201-1910
Oh man, oh man, oh man...

Drover

Smash Cadet
Wow I never would've guessed that. This came as a big surprise to me. Thanks for what you did for the Smash community Prog, I hope your sickness doesn't hold you back from doing other things.

Last edited:

Suli Hyuga

Smash Cadet
I won't feel right to watch big smash tourneys without D1 and Prog together :c And this is the first time I found out he was gay xD

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We'll all miss you Prog... you sure have some large shoes to fill. :(

Airboysteel

Smash Rookie
NNID
BigJ-Airboy
3DS FC
0087-2405-4085
Prog will have a special place to ALL smashers.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
Thank you for everything you've done Prog. Seriously. This community has progressed so far with you. Prog puts the Prog in Progress. We love you!

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
Beautifully done video. I think Prog should get his own 30 minute episode. He will be missed tremendously.

Vashimus

Smash Master
we really accept everybody, have some of the cleanest lingo out of the fighting game communities (havent always, but the change that has happened over the couple of years or so have been dramatic). all we care about is if you are good at our game.
We don't even care about that. As long as you like Smash and aren't a ****, we cool.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I'm just recently started getting into the competitive side of things, but from what commentary I have seen of him it has been nothing less that superb, he will certainly be missed, and I hope that whatever is ailing him gets better soon.

_waffles

Smash Rookie
NNID
xXKuppaXx
3DS FC
3780-9487-0614
We will miss you Prog, you are one of the greatest Smash commentators I've ever heard! Thank you Prog!!

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883

But yeah, anyways, i'm not gonna miss him... I'm glad we're progressing now...
First time I watched him, was with the invitational at E3. I liked the other two commentators way more.

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
Prog is the man. I'm decently scrubby, and was playing 1v1 against a CPU at Mass Madness a while back. Prog, who can't have had any idea who I was (but I of course knew who he was), came over and played matches with me for what had to have been a good half hour or so, just giving me advice and helping me improve. There was a very clear skill gap, and I can't imagine it was very fun for him in terms of competitiveness. I just kept thinking, "Why would somebody as well-known as Prog want to waste his time with me?" But right there he exemplified to me just how inclusive and friendly the Smash community is. A man who you know truly cares about his community and making it as great as possible.
Thank you, Prog.

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
when i first head prog, i was like "who's this guy with the weird way of talking?", not "Why is there a gay commentator on here?", and i am completely positive that this is what most, if not all of the smash community thinks at first of prog, and that really shows something about us. we really accept everybody, have some of the cleanest lingo out of the fighting game communities (havent always, but the change that has happened over the couple of years or so have been dramatic). all we care about is if you are good at our game.
True that. It doesn't matter in the end on who you are. We as a community accepts anyone who plays this game. The main thing the community cares is about, is you loving to play Smash and respect you're fellow players. You don't have to be good at our game, just learn to have fun and we always love seeing a smile on anyone's face.

We will miss you Prog and hope you return. The first time I met you in person was when I was a young boy in the days of Melee tournaments. You left a impression on me in many ways for Smash, like the other competitors I've met. Hope you fell better soon.

VegiLohrd

Smash Apprentice
I think it kind of says something about the community when I only learned he is gay from this video, and yet I and everyone else still don't care about that part at all

FumiQyn

Banned via Warnings
not gonna lie, at the end of smash bros this year at evo i almost cried.

meatloaf

Smash Rookie
NNID
dedede34
3DS FC
5215-0917-5545
I've never been to a tourny before, but this is a sad story. :' [

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
Prog was always the kind of guy to show you kindness and respect, no matter how much of a nobody you were in the scene. Most people won't give you the time of day if you aren't good at the game, but not Prog. When I was just starting out at NY tournaments he was always nice and willing to talk and play, and went out of his way to get to know me even though he was usually busy helping out the TO.

I actually didn't know he was gay, but I think that is a testament to the smash community. I never heard a single utterance of it, and I've been following the scene for 5 years. Nobody cared, so nobody talked about it. I hope everything works out well for him, and he will absolutely be missed.

Top Bottom