• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EarthQuake in CHILE - SSB64 Players in Chile

MATTS!

Smash Ace
To the Super Smash 64 Players in Chile;

We all Hope everything is okay, and that we get to see all the smash 64 Chile players back very soon, and ready to play some more smash games.

Us, and smash 64 online, the community, is the best online community EVER in online gaming and we don't want to lose any world wide players. So we hope the best for all ssb64 and everyone in chile and wish for their presence to lite up the boards and Kailleria servers.

to

Alpha CL
Danny SSB
... and others...

:)MATTS! and the Smash Community.:)

ShinGaruda

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts go to the Smash players, along with the rest of the people in Chile. Many people have been killed, and their families need as much support as possible.

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
Reporting in. I've only heard from two other smashers, who live in the North of Chile. One of them didn't even feel the earthquake, the other one didn't bother to get up. But chances are everyone in the community is ok (I hope so, at least). As far as I know, none of us lived near the epicenter of the earthquake. Most of us live in or near the capitol city, Santiago, where the earthquake was an 8 in the Mercalli scale. This is very strong, but the buildings resisted quite well. Most accidents you see on TV are caused by engineering mistakes, which saddens me.

Here's my testimony, in case someone's interested what it felt like for a random person:
I woke up at about 3:30 A.M. It took me about a minute and the screams of the rest of my family to realize the earthquake was hella strong, since it felt more like a dream. My memories of the actual earthquake are kind of vague now, I think I was sleepy. I remember my parents turning on the lights, which then flashed a lot, since electricity was constantly going on and off. I ran downstairs (I sleep in a second floor), stood between two pillars and waited, constantly hearing crashes and glass breaking, not to mention the floor was moving like crazy. Suddenly the flashing stopped and I guessed we no loger had electricity. The floor didn't really shake like I'm used to in earthquakes, it oscilated heavily. I didn't see much in the darkness, but I remember the lamp moving back and forth. When it was finally over I still felt the floor moving, like when you're seasick. After that I felt lots of aftershocks. Gradually, the time between aftershocks grew larger and I went to bed. I felt about 10 aftershocks lying in my bed until I finally got asleep.
The damage wasn't very serious since no one in my home was injured and there was no structural damage. Lots of stuff fell down, a 6 foot bookcase being the biggest. Our fishtank of about 70 liters lost 10 while it moved (luckily it didn't fall down). A desk broke in two. The top was full of books and fell on an empty bed. Luckily, the person who usually sleeps in that bed, was on vacation. Electricity came back at 10 AM and has now been restored in the majority of Santiago. I've called many friends and have heard of no serious injury.
I just felt a 10 second long aftershock while writing this: 16 hours after the earthquake.

Thanks for the good wishes, MATTS.

PS: Chile has a history of strong earthquakes. The word's strongest earthquake was recorded in Chile in 1960 scoring 9,6 in the Richter scale. 25 years ago, a 7,7 hit the central zone of Chile. If the damage isn't huge now, like it was in Haiti (a 7,5 in the Richter scale), it's because our country is prepared. Any structure built is supposed to resist an earthquake like this (again, exceptions make me sad). Also, Chilean ground is rocky, unlike the one in Haiti.
And another aftershock...

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
DannySSB is alright, So is his house and internet. Not sure about others.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
inb4mattnfpostsanotherholdf11joke

XD

But sucks what happened to Chile.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Chile is a country prepared for earthquakes, unlike poor Haiti. Also, the epicenter of the earthquake was quite far of the capital

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
quite far of the capital
The damage in the capital is still very serious. I've seen a lot of structural damage and some areas still don't have water and electricity restored to them. The damage in skyscrapers (which Santiago is full of) was huge, since they move so much during earthquakes. My grandmother is still afraid to go back into her old apartment.
Also, the epicenter was very close to the third largest city of the country, Concepción, with about 670.000 habitants.
Refrain from those comments please, unless you were there and know what you're talking about.

Here's some pictures:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/02/earthquake_in_chile.html
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/03/chile_three_days_later.html?camp=localsearch:on:twit:bigpic

NixxxoN

Smash Master
The damage in the capital is still very serious. I've seen a lot of structural damage and some areas still don't have water and electricity restored to them. The damage in skyscrapers (which Santiago is full of) was huge, since they move so much during earthquakes. My grandmother is still afraid to go back into her old apartment.
Also, the epicenter was very close to the third largest city of the country, Concepción, with about 670.000 habitants.
Refrain from those comments please, unless you were there and know what you're talking about.
Concepción is 670.000, and Santiago de Chile is about 5.500.000, thats what I meant.
And from what I've heard, Chile is much more prepared for earthquakes (than Haiti) since its a country with a large earthquake history, am i rite?

Btw, that doesnt mean its not a huge disaster of course...

Skrlx

Smash Champion
The sad part is that Chile is not getting enough support from foreign countries like Haiti is

:\

Danny_SsB

Smash Apprentice
hi guys, Thank you for Your worries, Thanks to God i'm fine, me and my family are ok, my home and some smashers from Chile too. in my city (Rancagua) only ancient Buildings are in danger of fall but, Nothing to be sorry about, Thanks a lots MATTS! and your guys For your support =)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
As soon as I heard about this on the news, I didn't know what to say. The damage in some places was horrible. Hopefully the death count isn't high...

It's good to hear that you guys are all safe :)

And for those of you who don't know, right after the earthquake hit, there was a tsunami alert for the entire Pacific coastline (including the Americas, Asia, and Australia (continent)). Here in Victoria, the water level changed a bit, but no Tsunami to speak of. Hopefully those who were hit by a tsunami are also alright.

Top Bottom