• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early Impressions: Would Wavedashing Improve Smash 4?

Would Wavedashing Improve Smash 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam_Butler

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to see people's opinions of what they think of the idea of wavedashing in Smash 4. Would it improve it? The game has been out for about 3 weeks and people have a feel for it, so I'd like to know: Would Wavedashing Improve Smash 4? I personally feel that a substitution or something that acts as a wavedash would be welcomed, and I think would help the game out quite a bit. But I'm one person. I'd like to see others opinions.

P.S. Please be reasonable. This is meant to be constructive discussion, let's keep it as such.

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
Mobility is not too great without being able to dash back and forth freely.
Wave dashing could help punish rolls with heavier punishes, create a more interesting poke game, and add some safe on shield options like retreating wavedash dtilts and what not.

Edit: If it implies that only one air dodge is back, then YES, its a must.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It wouldn't hurt the game. However I don't think it would improve the game all that much either too be honest. At least, not on a base level by itself. WDing alone really wouldn't be that big of an improvement. There are other things could help more, though none of them are really needed.

Last edited:

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
I think it'd change the game, though not really by much. I feel that this game fell a bit short off a good balance between offensive and defensive play with it being weighted on defensive, but wavedashing wouldn't help that all too much because this game has bigger problems. Personally I'd rather have L-Cancelling back as well as faster aerials, because in my opinion the ground game doesn't need as much attention. In 3DS wavedashing would probably murder the circle pad anyway lol.

This game makes approaching with aerials less safe due to the lag on most aerial moves, which is probably one of the largest problems with the game imo. Approaching on the ground isn't amazing in this one but it isn't awful either, so adding wavedashing or some form of wavedashing would really only serve to improve the game very slightly, at least in comparison to a combo of L-Cancelling and faster aerials. If we had those then perhaps it'd be more worth it, without it however I don't really feel it would be that big of a deal. Biggest thing I can think of is better roll punishes with just wavedash alone.

Anyway as a direct answer to your question, yes I do think it could change this game for the better, but not as much as other possible changes.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Probably, but it's pretty low on my list of things that would improve the game.

1. More hit-stun.
2. More shield stun.
3. Smooth Lander lag on all aerials.
4. Momentum transfer to jumps.
5. Dash-dancing.
6. Less magnetic ledges.
7. Reworked edge trumping mechanics.
8. Better follow-up options out of certain throws.
9. Only one air dodge per airtime that doesn't put you in a helpless state.
10. DI instead of VI.
11. Wavedashing or an equivalent.

MegaGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yung_Mega
3DS FC
5043-2216-2465
why does everyone feel the need to have every smash game be like melee? just go play melee and leave these asinine discussions out of other games.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
1. L-canceling (Ganon is garbage without it)
2. More hit stun
3. Dash-dancing
4. Not necessarily wave-dashing, but something equivalent to wavelanding that gets you on top of platforms faster)
5. More guaranteed follow-ups from throws
6. Make rolling as easily punishable as they were in previous games
7. Counter moves have less active frames
8. Something that remains to fix ledge-stalling, but brings back edge-hogging
9. Not have so many god-like recoveries in the game, they are barely any bad ones I can think of (Doc and Shulk being the only ones that can to mind)
10. Air dodges have less active frames, making laggier moves better when edgeguarding

There are so many more things I could think of, but I think wavedashing is the least of this game's issues, if really an issue at all.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
There's no way it wouldn't improve a smash style game, really. More options for movement is always welcome.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Rolls are so good in this game they're basically a wavedash substitute, with the added bonus of having invincibility.

And that's the way it should be, IMO. Wavedashing always had a stupid input mechanism and just wasn't intuitive. I mean, sure, maybe rolls are too invincible and I'd be fine with adjusting their frame data, but I think having that be your movement option is just a lot better for the overall game design than WD.

Speaking of Melee mechanics, L-Cancel also shouldn't come back. If some characters are bad because they have crazy landing lag on their aerials, just fix their landing lag. Most of the characters in the cast are fine the way they are now, and the last thing we need is for some characters who are already really strong to also become totally safe on everything they do. Can you imagine Greninja with completely safe Dair? My brain hurts just thinking about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom