• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early Chrom speculation.

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
Why do this when you're adding a fighter like Chrom? Is this going to be Lucina all over again (just not as bad)?
I think this is a more apples to oranges issue. I think Chrom will be far better off playing more like Lucina and Marth (who play mostly the same between the two of them) than he would be playing like Roy. I think Roy got the changes he needed to effectively get in his opponent's face and pressure them which Chrom also has, but thanks to the balanced sword Chrom can space them with great success.

I think for me, I'm looking at Chrom less like a Roy echo fighter, but more of a faster alternative to Marth/Lucina with the ability to switch up his gameplan to play aggressively like Roy. While Roy's sweet-spot buffs are super nice and I'll be abusing the crap out of them, I'd be dumb not to appreciate the damage I would get off fully spaced Jabs, F-tilts, DEDs, N-airs, and F-airs from a fully balanced sword. With their landing lag changes, a lot of characters will find approaching Chrom to be super oppressive. Imagine approaching or getting back on stage against a Sheik that actually hits like a truck, that just sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I think this is a more apples to oranges issue. I think Chrom will be far better off playing more like Lucina and Marth (who play mostly the same between the two of them) than he would be playing like Roy. I think Roy got the changes he needed to effectively get in his opponent's face and pressure them which Chrom also has, but thanks to the balanced sword Chrom can space them with great success.

I think for me, I'm looking at Chrom less like a Roy echo fighter, but more of a faster alternative to Marth/Lucina with the ability to switch up his gameplan to play aggressively like Roy. While Roy's sweet-spot buffs are super nice and I'll be abusing the crap out of them, I'd be dumb not to appreciate the damage I would get off fully spaced Jabs, F-tilts, DEDs, N-airs, and F-airs from a fully balanced sword. With their landing lag changes, a lot of characters will find approaching Chrom to be super oppressive. Imagine approaching or getting back on stage against a Sheik that actually hits like a truck, that just sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?
I agree with this. Chrom's overall mobility is, going by Roy's attributes, one of the best in the game. Now add a balanced sword that hits like a truck with great normals, aerials that are multi-purpose for combos, insane pressure and can even work for killing (Bair and Uair seem to kill pretty well), do a pretty hefty amount of damage and are very safe on shield and you have a character with an insane neutral that is really hard get off once inside and hard to challenge when he's not.

However, one hit from the opponent on Chrom and the momentum shifts almost completely in their favor due to his seemingly terrible disadvantage state. Once he's off stage, 95% he ain't coming back and can die incredibly early, more then most lightweights. This makes Chrom fall under the "glass cannon" category; Chrom basically has to outplay or dominate the neutral all the time every time to stay in the lead which thankfully isn't so hard due to his sword and mobility.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I agree with this. Chrom's overall mobility is, going by Roy's attributes, one of the best in the game. Now add a balanced sword that hits like a truck with great normals, aerials that are multi-purpose for combos, insane pressure and can even work for killing (Bair and Uair seem to kill pretty well), do a pretty hefty amount of damage and are very safe on shield and you have a character with an insane neutral that is really hard get off once inside and hard to challenge when he's not.

However, one hit from the opponent on Chrom and the momentum shifts almost completely in their favor due to his seemingly terrible disadvantage state. Once he's off stage, 95% he ain't coming back and can die incredibly early, more then most lightweights. This makes Chrom fall under the "glass cannon" category; Chrom basically has to outplay or dominate the neutral all the time every time to stay in the lead which thankfully isn't so hard due to his sword and mobility.
So kinda similar to Fox where, if he has the advantage, your opponents are guaranteed to eat total **** and if at disadvantage, will get his ass kicked?

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
So kinda similar to Fox where, if he has the advantage, your opponents are guaranteed to eat total **** and if at disadvantage, will get his *** kicked?
Almost, you forgot how one has an actual recovery while the other hopes his opponent doesn't know how to edgeguard Aether.

Reiks

Smash Rookie
Thats amazing, I didn't even think how oppressive Chrom's moveset could be in the neutral while maintaining Roy's "In your face" playstyle. Goddamn this character is hard to judge. On one hand I can see him taking out potential top tiers such as Ryu or KKrool but on the other getting bodied by Young Link or Simon.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
If only there were more matches with people using Chrom because I've only seen two matches with him in the current build (vs Cloud and vs Simon) and they both pretty much ended the same (battle going to sudden death with Chrom losing). Hell, the Simon one was bad because both of the players were playing like they were using the other character (Chrom playing at range when he should be aggressive and Simon getting up close when he should be zoning)

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
If only there were more matches with people using Chrom because I've only seen two matches with him in the current build (vs Cloud and vs Simon) and they both pretty much ended the same (battle going to sudden death with Chrom losing). Hell, the Simon one was bad because both of the players were playing like they were using the other character (Chrom playing at range when he should be aggressive and Simon getting up close when he should be zoning)
Also in the Cloud match he never dashed or jumped, probably hurt his chances a little

Top Bottom