• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E64 Season 1 : The European Smash 64 League (Ongoing)

Mahie

Smash Lord
Introducing E64
Europe has always been a crownless kingdom. While people can easily identify the top 5, it's been hard to break it any further, and this league aims to change that fact, while providing a challenge for players of any level.
The League will run on a GSL-inspired format, and one season should only take a couple months at most.
The goal is to qualify for the Class S tournament, to remain in it, and eventually, to win it.

Nota Bene : This League will also serve as a Power Ranking tool for the European region, thus the thread fitting more in general discussion. If mods think it should still be in the Online Events section, feel free to move it.

In a nutshell
The league is composed of two divisions. Players in the Class S tournament play for the Championship. If they are to lose, they fall down to Class A.
Class A players duke it out for a spot in the Class S tournament through succesive rounds. In each round, losers from Class S will be injected, increasing the skill level required to advance.

Tournament Rules
[COLLAPSE="Display"]Game Settings
Mode: STOCK
Stocks: 5
Handicap: OFF
Stage Select: ON
Damage: 100%
Item Switch: NONE
All Characters Available

Stages
The Stage List consists of
  • Congo Jungle
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Dream Land
First match of all sets is selected by a striking system. Read the Set Procedure for additional details.

Characters
All characters are legal.
Black DK (Right-C), Dark Samus (Down-C) and Dark Falcon (Right-C) are discouraged if Congo Jungle is the stage for visibility reasons. The opposing player may reset the game without penalty if they wish for a colour change. Taking or dealing any damage nullifies this right.

Set Procedure
  1. Players select characters for first match. Double Blind Picks may be called.
  2. Either player calls head or tails.
  3. If he guessed correctly, that player will strike a stage from the 3 stage list. That stage will not be avalaible for first round. If he guessed wrong, his opponent will strike first.
  4. The player who hasn't striked yet will get to strike either of the two remaining stages.
  5. The first game is played on the remaining stage.
  6. The loser of the previous game selects the next match's stage from any of the 3 stages.
  7. The winner of the previous game selects their character.
  8. The loser of the previous game selects their character.
  9. The next game is played.
Above four steps are repeated if necessary.
[/COLLAPSE]

Format
[COLLAPSE="Display"]Class S
[Collapse="Display"]Round of 8
[Collapse="Rules"]- Players will be divided into groups of 4 using RNG.
- Top 2 advances.
- All matches are best of 5.
- The first match of each group will be determined using RNG.
- The winners of both matches will meet in the Winner's match. The result of this match determines the winner of the group, who will advance with the best seed for the Round of 4.
- The losers of the first match will meet in the Loser's match
- The loser of the Winner's match and the winner of the Loser's match will play in the Tiebreaker for the remaining qualification spot, and will receive a low seed for the Round of 4.
- The two players who failed to qualify will fall to Class A Round 2. [/collapse]
Round of 4
[COLLAPSE="Rules"]- The winner of each group will play the runner up of the other group in a direct elimination match.
- Matches will be played in a best of 7 format.
- Winners will qualify for the Season Finals.
- Losers will fall to Class A Round 3.[/COLLAPSE]
Season Finals
[COLLAPSE="Rules"]- The remaining two players will play in a best of 9 in order to determine the Season winner.
- Regardless of the result, both players will be reconducted in Class S the following Season.[/COLLAPSE][/collapse]
Class A
[COLLAPSE="Display"]Round 1
[Collapse="Rules"]- Players will be divided into groups of 4 using RNG.
- Top 2 advances.
- All matches are best of 3.
- The first match of each group will be determined using RNG.
- The winners of both matches will meet in the Winner's match. The result of this match determines the winner of the group, who will advance with Seed #2 for Round 2.
- The losers of the first match will meet in the Loser's match.
- The loser of the Winner's match and the winner of the Loser's match will play in the Tiebreaker for the remaining qualification spot, and will receive Seed #4
for Round 2.
- Players who failed to qualify will see their E64 Season end. [/collapse]
Round 2
[COLLAPSE="Rules"]- Losers from the Class S Ro8 start in Round 2.
- The player who lost in the Tiebreaker of the Class S Ro8 will receive Seed #1.
- The player who lost in the Loser's match of the Class S Ro8 will receive Seed #3.
- Two groups of four will be made respecting the seeding. (e.g., not both #1 Seeds in the same group, not #2 Seeds in the same group.
- An effort will be made to separate players who were in the same group in their previous round.
- The format will be the same as in Round 1.
- The first match of each group will be as follows : Seed #1 vs Seed #4 ; Seed #2 vs Seed #3
- Top 3 makes it out. The Tiebreaker will not be played, and players who should have played it both receive Seed #3 for the next round.
- The winner of the Winner's match qualifies with Seed #2.
- Players who failed to qualify will see their E64 season end.
[/collapse]
Round 3
[COLLAPSE="Rules"]- Losers from the Class S Ro4 start in Round 3.
- Both will receive Seed # 1 for the Round.
- Groups are made in the same fashion as Round 2. An effort to separate the players will be made.
- The Winner's match will not be played. Players who win their first match are automatically qualified for the following season's Class S.
- The losers of the Loser's match will see their E64 season end.
[/COLLAPSE][/COLLAPSE]
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Points Breakdown"]
Achievement | Points awarded Class A Qualification | 10
Class A Round 2 |20
Class A Round 3 |50
Class S Qualification |100
Class S Semi-Finalist | 250
Class S Runner-up|500
Class S Champion|1000
-It is only possible to claim one achievement per Season. In the case of multiple achievements, only the most rewarding will be taken into account.
-To obtain Qualification points, one must start in the underneath division and work his way up. Starting in Class S and losing right away doesn't grant the 100 points reward.
[/COLLAPSE]
Class S

Craiigg
Fays
Fuzzyness
Jam
King Funk
Luigo
Mahie
Squall

Round of 8
Player ID | Record | Games
[glow]
Jam | 2-0 | 6-2[/glow]
[glow]
Mahie | 2-1 | 8-4[/glow]
Craiigg | 1-1 | 4-6
Squall | 0-2 | 0-6
[COLLAPSE="Group A matches"]
Jam | 3 | 0 | Squall
Mahie | 3 | 1 | Craiigg
Mahie | 2 | 3 | Jam
Craiigg | W | 0 | Squall
Mahie | W | 0 | Craiigg
[/COLLAPSE]
[glow]
Fays | 2-0 | 6-2[/glow]
[glow]
King Funk | 2-1 | 8-5[/glow]
Luigo | 1-2 | 5-7
Fuzzyness | 0-2 | 1-6
[COLLAPSE="Group B matches"]
Fays | 3 | 0 | Fuzzyness
King Funk | 3 | 2 | Luigo
King Funk | 2 | 3 | Fays
Luigo | 3 | 1 | Fuzzyness
King Funk | 3 | 0 | Luigo
[/COLLAPSE]

Class A
dandan
Dark
Fruity
Pontus
Rebaz
Rich
Rocky
$hEiCk^

Round 1
[glow]
Dark | 2-0 |4-0[/glow]
[glow]
Rocky | 2-1 | 4-3[/glow]
Pontus | 1-2 | 2-5
$hEiCk^ | 0-2 | 2-4
[COLLAPSE="Group A matches"]
Dark | 2 | 0 | Pontus
Rocky | 2 | 1 | Sheick
Dark |2|0| Rocky
Pontus | 2 | 1 | Sheick
Pontus|0|2| Rocky
[/COLLAPSE]
[glow]
Fruity | 2-0 | 4-0[/glow]
[glow]
Rebaz | 2-1 | 4-2[/glow]
dandan | 1-2 | 2-4
Rich | 0-2 | 0-4

[COLLAPSE="Group B matches"]
Fruity | 2 | 0 | Rebaz
dandan | 2 | 0 | Rich
dandan | 0 | W | Fruity
Rich | 0 | 2 | Rebaz
dandan | 0 | W | Rebaz
dandan quit the competition. W stands for Walkover victory.
[/COLLAPSE]

dandan

Smash Lord
wow, nice for picking something like this up mahie, will i still be suitable for here or not really?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Y'all should ban hyrule

come on now, you know you sensible european types want another metric system to hold over our heads

Mahie

Smash Lord
I'd like to join :D

Name: Fruity
Emulator: PJ64k
Server: P2P, Areagamer
Time: almost everyday
Got it, just let the group chat open and you'll be fine.
This guy got it
:phone:
Does that mean you're in ?
How should it be played? If p2p is not required, I'm not willing to p2p with people who get 4-5 frames on servers.
P2P / Hamachi is of course strongly advised, but if parties agree on server, then it's fine as well.

wow, nice for picking something like this up mahie, will i still be suitable for here or not really?
Do you even need to ask? I thought of having you from the start, just had to ask you first.

Y'all should ban hyrule

come on now, you know you sensible european types want another metric system to hold over our heads
Hyrule is fine since we don't camp much over here.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Haha I completely forgot about that game. Note that I did nuance it and said "much". We'll see how people react after a season with this ruleset. Might go for DreamLand + Hyrule + Congo + Battlefield + Peach's for Season 2.

Olikus

Smash Champion
why is some people allready in S and some in A. has there been matches played allready?

Mahie

Smash Lord
why is some people allready in S and some in A. has there been matches played allready?
No, for the first Season, I had to seed based on previous results in European events, and results in friendlies overall, since sadly we only have that to judge from. Hopefully the outcome makes sense, and it should.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Lol this thread made some players get up from their grave. I hope Dark and dandan will continue to play, even when it's over.

I read "when its over," and thought you meant when the world of smash 64 is nothing more than an apocalyptic wasteland. Then I realized you didn't mean that, but its still on my mind and I got sad :( . Is that gonna happen some day? I hope not. Cuz I'd probably be one of the survivors and I'd be really lonely

Mahie

Smash Lord
Lol this thread made some players get up from their grave. I hope Dark and dandan will continue to play, even when it's over.

Well as long as people are interested, we can keep going with more seasons. I also plan on having off-season events that would net points, like proper brackets with everyone, or team tournaments, etc. We'll see.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
How will I enter in season 2 if all 16 spots are already taken in season 1?

If this takes more than one or two weeks to start, I'd appreciate if you waited for me on the 27th of August. I wouldn't mind if you don't.

Oh and also, ban Hyrule.

Mahie

Smash Lord
How will I enter in season 2 if all 16 spots are already taken in season 1?

If this takes more than one or two weeks to start, I'd appreciate if you waited for me on the 27th of August. I wouldn't mind if you don't.

Oh and also, ban Hyrule.
There are no limits for Class A. If more than 8 are willing to enter, we'll have preliminary rounds, of which only the top 8 will be considered Class A. They'll receive points if they go through the preliminary to qualify for Class A.

Mahie

Smash Lord
I'm saving it for now. I'd rather have a proven player fill it, like Maddy or Fuzzyness, but I need to hear from them first, they stated their interest but they need to register for real.

DevMBC

Smash Ace
Fuzz confirmed that's 4 UK players represented in S :smirk:

where you at europe

Mahie

Smash Lord
^Hate to admit but UK is well repp'd.

Registrations are over for Season 1. I'll make the groups soon, and the League itself should start in a few days, at most.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Necessary bump : First matches are up, however, I won't post the full groups, although they are made, in order to keep players in the dark and to force them to give their all right away.

Players should remember to read the Tournament Rules in the OP.

One player from each match-up should call either Head or Tails, so that the stage striking can occur.

Reminder :
  • Matches in Class S Ro8 are best of 5.
  • Matches in Class A R1 are best of 3.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Oh nice I'm against Jam... I knew I was going to lose everything lol. Also why is Rocky in A? I thought he was top 5 of Europe :troll:.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Have a deadline. Europeans dont play their matches when they have unlimited time :p

Mahie

Smash Lord
Oh nice I'm against Jam... I knew I was going to lose everything lol. Also why is Rocky in A? I thought he was top 5 of Europe :troll:.

Regardless of whom you're up against first round, it doesn't really matter. Both groups are really hard, but top 2 makes it out, so you still have a shot at qualification if you win two matches after losing to Jam. Might as well beat him right away though, which you can definitely do.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Aight, I've decided to just go ahead and make the heads or tails for everyone, since it's random anyway.

I used this link : http://www.random.org/coins/?num=1&cur=60-eur.france-1euro

All match-ups are now updated with whom the first striker is.

Please play your matches as fast as possible. If you can't get a hold of your opponent, at least show you're active, so that I know who to DQ.

No proper deadline for Match 1, we'll see how it goes, however, if I have to take measures, I will. I'll definitely leave at least a week before that though.

Top Bottom