• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. Invitational - Players/Rules Announced

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
So, someone, be nice and tell me, where will I be able to Watch the Invitational Tournament? I know Twitch, but Twitch makes my laptop roar. Literally.

Will it be shown live on YouTube, maybe? ^^

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
So, someone, be nice and tell me, where will I be able to Watch the Invitational Tournament? I know Twitch, but Twitch makes my laptop roar. Literally.

Will it be shown live on YouTube, maybe? ^^
I'd think Nntendo would link it on their website for all the hype they are building up for it.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Oh, I know of that one, I keep track of it. :3 But that's the Digital Event. I meant the Invitational Tournament. ^^

Which I don't Think shows up in that link. D:
Whoops! I totally didn't think about that. I believe it'll be live-streamed on the YouTube and Twitch, although I'm not sure. I have no links for that. :'(

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Whoops! I totally didn't think about that. I believe it'll be live-streamed on the YouTube and Twitch, although I'm not sure. I have no links for that. :'(
Well, IF it is streamed on YouTube, that would be awesome. ^^ So, thanks anyways, and no worries. :)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
8 minutes.

Since the tournament is streamed, we'll get some really nice gameplay tonight. Hopefully we see a lot from the newcomers.

D

Deleted member 245254

Does anyone else think Zero played pathetically in the final 2 minutes or so of that Grand Finals?

He purposefully dragged that in to Sudden Death, it was seriously pathetic.

theinstituter

Smash Cadet
NNID
theinstituter
3DS FC
0662-2468-9863
The person
Does anyone else think Zero played pathetically in the final 2 minutes or so of that Grand Finals?

Hungrybox could've won if ZeRo stopped camping throughout the whole entire tournament.

Last edited:

RealityReloaded

Smash Rookie

There was a definite change in his gameplay the second the announcers mentioned Sudden Death.

I wouldn't really blame him, as he is simply trying to work with the rules he was given, but it was still very disappointing. It's hard to say how the match would have turned out if ZeRo had stuck with his aggressive play, but I think it's safe to say that Hungrybox was robbed of the win.

Nonetheless, I think this was a fantastic tournament. Everyone had plenty of fun, we learned a good deal about SM4SH gameplay, and hints regarding future venues were dropped. To top it all off, Reggie promised to kick some Hbox butt next time around.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
It is truly freaking disgusting the hate that CT_Zero is getting. I am for one happy for him. He played the tournament and won by their rules, and the grand finals were exciting.

You can see it in his face that he was pretty sad and scared when 40% of the crowed starting booing him. Just sad and disgusting.

Last edited:

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
If the rules were like ours, where lower percent just wins, then hbox would've been camping and edge stalling like in the FFA matches lmao.
Don't hate the player.

Last edited:

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
I never (and I mean never) remember getting angry/disappointed at the outcome of a match (even when I didn't like it), but that WFT player and Zero's play style disappointed me. 7_7

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do feel bad for the Rosalina user, but it can't be easy to utilize her at her best when you have to contend with three other fighters as well.

D

Deleted member 245254

If the rules were like ours, where lower percent just wins, then hbox would've been camping and edge stalling like in the FFA matches lmao.
Don't hate the player.
You say that like both Hbox and zero weren't both at one stock playing under the exact same rules. Oh wait, they were.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
Are you hating the tourney outcome? Well you are here for another 6 years of Brawl exciting matches.

Some people like it, and it has been played competitively for a lot of time. The game has been polished and will not have some issues Brawl had (MK, a very steep tier list, really boring to watch sometimes).

Hell, Zero played campy, but it was fun to watch wasn't it?.

D

Deleted member 245254

Um sorry but I'm not getting your point.
You said Zero played like a pansy because he was just playing to the rules.

My point is that H-Box was clearly at a disadvantage, spacing-wise and at their current practice level, and was still attempting to make approaches. He was outplaying Zero for a lot of the match.

Your point is only valid if H-Box actually did play campy during finals, but he didn't. Only Zero did. He could have, but he didn't. Only Zero did, and as a result we got a lame match with a well known player basically going through the motions of one of the most despised tactics spoken of in competitive smash just to take a win in a sudden death which is just laughable.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ah; yes, the invitational. I expected HungryBox to take the victory and I was quite disappointed that he was not able to. However, it was still an interesting match. I am glad that my favorite, Dr. Pee Pee was the winner of the fan-favorite bracket.

D

Deleted member 245254

Ah; yes, the invitational. I expected HungryBox to take the victory and I was quite disappointed that he was not able to. However, it was still an interesting match. I am glad that my favorite, Dr. Pee Pee was the winner of the fan-favorite bracket.
I honestly felt watching fox was the most exciting of the characters. I really was having melee flashes while watching him move.

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
My throat still hurts from screaming. Goodness, this has been an exciting day. I'm thrilled that I could be a part of it.

If anyone saw me waiting in line, I was the guy with the Captain Falcon helmet styled knit cap. I was very sad to see not a single other person representing the Captain. :(

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I actually watched this and that Zero guy was amazing, I picked him from the minute I started watching him to win the whole thing.

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
You said Zero played like a pansy because he was just playing to the rules.

My point is that H-Box was clearly at a disadvantage, spacing-wise and at their current practice level, and was still attempting to make approaches. He was outplaying Zero for a lot of the match.

Your point is only valid if H-Box actually did play campy during finals, but he didn't. Only Zero did. He could have, but he didn't. Only Zero did, and as a result we got a lame match with a well known player basically going through the motions of one of the most despised tactics spoken of in competitive smash just to take a win in a sudden death which is just laughable.
When he was waiting for the timer, it was pretty much his only option and there was no reason not to do it, this is a rules problem. There is nothing wrong with the rest of the match. Zero tries to poke him and keep him out with side B, and hbox NEEDS to approach to get out of its way. It's called matchups. Zero Suit's options for approaching Kirby seem poor; her jump is too high/kirby too short/aerials too small to pressure with aerials. So you throw out side Bs and force his options. There wasn't ever a point in the match where Hbox should have camped. All it would've done was risk getting hit with whips/uairs for no gain, and he never had a solid enough lead to stall for time himself.

Morbi

Scavenger
I actually watched this and that Zero guy was amazing, I picked him from the minute I started watching him to win the whole thing.
His first match was hype, he got the Smash Ball FOUR times. Not only that, but I really wanted him to get it at least once as I intend on using Zero-Suit as a main; I was curious about her new Final Smash. I was literally squeeing the entire match (my new favorite FS and Zero became an instant tournament favorite for me). That being said, I do not actually like Zero as a player. I do not have anything against him, I just never enjoy watching his overly passive play-style (which is the predominant reason that I rarely watch Brawl). I do not understand why people criticize him when HungryBox is largely known for not approaching when it is not necessary; that is the reason that he was even in Grand Finals.

It does not really matter though, Zero won fair and square and Juan was a great sport about it. I do not see the problem.

D

Deleted member 245254

It does not really matter though, Zero won fair and square and Juan was a great sport about it. I do not see the problem.
I honestly want to disagree (with explanation).

I think banking on an advantage in a sudden death round in order to win because such a setup is more in his favor (obscenely high base %, essentially first hit is OHKO) seems kind of ulterior to the spirit of the original match.

Zero went this direction simply because he was aware of that. He didn't just camp, the kid straight up jumped around and literally played monkey keep away for the last minute. It tarnished the dignity of the match. It makes his win seem "eh".

Dragging it to sudden death to get a kill isn't hype in any sense.

Also that scarf made me want to punch him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, I'm gonna agree with that. When Zero started jumping around playing deliberate "keep away" with HBox, I just thought...well, let's just say I was really ****in' angry.

Though to be honest, Kirby matches haven't been hype in any game but P:M, and I don't expect that to change. I really would've preferred Greninja vs Mac for the GF for something hype. or Greninja vs. Fox, something that's going to obviously be fun to watch. Zero's avoidance strategy just turned what was still a good time into something...ehhh... (He really, really didn't earn that trophy.)

DontSayNormal

Smash Rookie
i thought the ending to the tournament was almost perfect

the last match could have been slightly better for the first parts, but the ending was just about the most fitting one i can think of

i cannot understand the mindset of people complaining about that match

D

Deleted member 245254

i thought the ending to the tournament was almost perfect

the last match could have been slightly better for the first parts, but the ending was just about the most fitting one i can think of

i cannot understand the mindset of people complaining about that match
Well we're explaining in great detail, it's your fault if you choose to not understand.

DontSayNormal

Smash Rookie
Well we're explaining in great detail, it's your fault if you choose to not understand.
i am an average person who does average things and thinks average thoughts

everything negative i have read regarding that match has come down to "i didn't like it"

are there any real reasons it was bad?

D

Deleted member 245254

i am an average person who does average things and thinks average thoughts

everything negative i have read regarding that match has come down to "i didn't like it"

are there any real reasons it was bad?
So are you just not reading or...? I don't think there's a point in anybody simply repeating themselves so I'm going to just recommend you re-read.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I honestly want to disagree (with explanation).

I think banking on an advantage in a sudden death round in order to win because such a setup is more in his favor (obscenely high base %, essentially first hit is OHKO) seems kind of ulterior to the spirit of the original match.

Zero went this direction simply because he was aware of that. He didn't just camp, the kid straight up jumped around and literally played monkey keep away for the last minute. It tarnished the dignity of the match. It makes his win seem "eh".

Dragging it to sudden death to get a kill isn't hype in any sense.

Also that scarf made me want to punch him.
I was going to argue this, but your last sentence demonstrated that you are an unreasonable person. I'm sorry you feel cheated but I and many others loved the match and felt ZeRo made good use of what he was given. Tactics. What a concept.

Besides, advantage or not there is no way to be sure you're gonna live a sudden death.

Top Bottom