• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duck Hunt Match-Up Analysis: Sonic

Who has the advantage in this MU?

• Total voters

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
:4sonic:
Post notes on the Sonic match-up, and how strong you think the MU is, e.g. 30:70

Notes from MU general:
Main issues with this MU:
  • He's constantly ROLLING AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND (aka too fast).
  • Able to weave in and out with ease.
  • Easy KO set ups via grab and a grab KO.
What doggy has in this MU:
  • Disjointed moves
  • Can and gunmen (fast gunmen though!)
Alright so what gets me when I play against DHD is if you just rain all hell and bombard us with ur projectiles, because individually they aren't too much of a threat. Frisbee can be shielded, the Can can be anticipated and shielded (although that stage pressure is real), and gunmen can be stopped with shield (but HA aims for it so its a good shield). One more thing: always keep moving. If your moving and say pivot fribees or gunmen, it makes it hard to chase and catch you, like animal control :)
Duck Hunt V. Sonic videos:
Brood (Duck Hunt) vs. Octo (Sonic) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDGjyTE4MKc
MVD (Duck Hunt/Little Mac) vs. 6WX (Sonic) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbnTjUZV5S0

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
IMO it's 80:20 in Sonic's favour, they can get through all of our projectiles and have relatively safe and fast punishing options compared to how much lag our moves have (clay pigeon and landing lag being our most noticeable laggy moves). He gives very little breathing room and that's exactly what Duck Hunt needs in most cases.

The one thing we do have is that Sonic isn't too great at KOing, similar to Duck Hunt, but we have a long-range KO option (side-smash) so if we can condition the Sonic not too expect it and throw it out when they go for a close-quarters option, we can get the KO.

Edit: After hearing a few other opinions, I'll change mine to 70:30, 80:20 was a bit much.

Last edited:

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
this is one of the top 5 most impossible matchups in the game, DHD flat out sucks against fast characters, you need to switch characters for this one.

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
I would argue it's more 75:25 in sonic's favor. After seeing brood's game play. I honestly feel that if it's on the right stage. Duck hunt can hold his own against sonic. However for the most part it's just too hard for the trio to just get sonic off the ground long enough to get the setups they are notorious for. On top of that, stages with minimal platforms are pretty much walk off's for sonic as Duck hunt can't make him jump on their terms. If Duck Hunt ever gets the chance to ledge guard. That is probably the best case scenario as Sonic will have some trouble recovering against the projectiles but nothing to where it's an advantage.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
This Match up is very difficult, but seeing Brood's video it is possible to win. Instead of camping and throwing out our slow projectiles, we need to be a little more aggressive with Fairs and RAR Bairs. Brood utilized these techniques and by doing so was able to get Sonic to be on the defensive end. This allowed him to put up projectiles. So less projectiles, more aerials.

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
This Match up is very difficult, but seeing Brood's video it is possible to win. Instead of camping and throwing out our slow projectiles, we need to be a little more aggressive with Fairs and RAR Bairs.
This This This! In Matchups like this, we need to play aggressive. While we are throwing a Can on the other Side of FD, he can basically just run across the Map and punish us for doing that lol. Try to pressure him, when there is enough space, use a projectile. I would also suggest you to always stay near the can, so you won't eat those goddamn spin dashes and stuff

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Zigzag and Giant Gunmen makes this matchup nearly even imo. The problem vs Sonic is that you can't use cans or gunmen. You can sideB but he blows through it half the time. ALL of what makes you a good character is pretty much thrown out of the window, so you have to rely on fundamentals and neutral game mixups to try and keep up with him, but his is massively better without your specials.

Sonic 70-30 Duck Hunt. Maybe a bit more even in the future should results prove otherwise.

With customs, I'll say it's Sonic 60-40 Duck Hunt for now until we get better results.

Top Bottom