• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dsp2hps: Melee music in 2016

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
I've noticed a lot of people still finding their way to the obsolete guides and tools for adding custom music.

Here's dsp2hps, the easiest and best way to convert a bunch of music into HPS (the format melee uses): https://github.com/jmlee337/dsp2hps

Every older HPS conversion tool is obsoleted by dsp2hps. Every one of them is vastly more difficult to use and produces worse results.

@DoctorKirby wrote a GUI for dsp2hps if you require: d2hgui

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Achilles1515 Achilles1515 discovered a bug that produced malformed files if a custom loop point was set as a multiple of 1.792 seconds

I have fixed the bug and you can download the new version here: https://github.com/jmlee337/dsp2hps/releases/tag/v6

You can always get the latest version of dsp2hps with this link: https://github.com/jmlee337/dsp2hps/releases/latest
Great news. Thanks again for this program, it is a blessing.

Possible feature request for the future:
  • parse a custom loop point from the file name
Ex. "SSBB - BattlefieldLOOP3.584.wav"

If "LOOP" is found in the file name, grab the digits from this point in the string until the file extension --> convert to float and use as loop point instead of the value in the text file.

How this would be helpful:
  • Batch processing custom loop HPS files.
When I found the bug you stated, it was AFTER I had already created ~100 HPS files for 20XX, pretty much all custom loop and originating from BRSTM files. While I was creating these, I just had the custom stereo BAT file open in Notepad and was changing the loop point, saving the file, and just keeping it open until I needed to modify the loop point again for the next file. I guess stupidly on my part - I was not writing down the loop points for each file whose WAV was exported from BrawlBox (because I knew I could get the loop point again if I really desired by opening the BRSTM back up in BrawlBox and looking at the original sample rate/ loop sample). Well, my lack of documenting loop points bit me in the a$$ now that I need to remake a fair amount of HPS files, after first determining which HPS files in the bunch are actually problematic. So for each HPS file that needs fixing, I'll have to open the BRSTM back up in BrawlBox and recalc the loop point, and make the HPS again. I really should have been saving the "custom_stereo.bat" files for each WAV I was converting - but what would have been even slicker is if the feature I am proposing existed. So I could have just put the 100 WAV files in a folder, each with the "LOOP" specified in the file name, and then could make 100 new HPS files all at once. It would turn the solution to the situation I am in into just a few minutes (just the dsp2hps processing time), especially because I wouldn't have to care about which HPS files are okay or not - just re-create them all because it would be simple.

• One other thing - I haven't checked with the new version of dsp2hps, but creating a custom loop HPS with loop point 0.000 (a "custom" normal loop HPS) would create a broken file. This should be able to be accomplished imo, and would allow "custom" normal loop HPS in the batch mode stated above.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this program. Your C++ is very clean as well.

Also, I stickied this thread because it needs to be. @DRGN

Last edited:

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
Great news. Thanks again for this program, it is a blessing.

Possible feature request for the future:
  • parse a custom loop point from the file name
Ex. "SSBB - BattlefieldLOOP3.584.wav"

If "LOOP" is found in the file name, grab the digits from this point in the string until the file extension --> convert to float and use as loop point instead of the value in the text file.
I can add this, I see how it would be useful

• One other thing - I haven't checked with the new version of dsp2hps, but creating a custom loop HPS with loop point 0.000 (a "custom" normal loop HPS) would create a broken file. This should be able to be accomplished imo, and would allow "custom" normal loop HPS in the batch mode stated above.
This should work now. That was one of the cases I manually tested

Last edited:

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
Github user Singularity3 reported a bug where some intermediate files wouldn't be deleted when doing batch conversions with custom loops. I have fixed this bug and you can download the new version here: https://github.com/jmlee337/dsp2hps/releases/tag/v8

You can always get the latest version of dsp2hps with this link: https://github.com/jmlee337/dsp2hps/releases/latest

im to stupid to even get the program to run ._.
If it's help you're looking for you have to help us help you.

This doesn't help us help you because you've haven't stated specifically what's wrong! You've waited all this time (if you're even still around) just to have to hear me ask you, "well, what seems to be the problem?"

The more specific you are about the issue you're facing in your first post, the better the chance that someone will come along (at some point) and solve your issue on the spot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom