• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drop The Piko Piko Hammer - Amy Rose for Smash Ultimate DLC

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, we're getting more DLC. Amy's chances are probable as long as they don't either promote Mii Fighter costumes or ATs to playable status.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Well, we're getting more DLC. Amy's chances are probable as long as they don't either promote Mii Fighter costumes or ATs to playable status.
Amy could be a pseudo-clone of Sonic, only sharing special moves and final smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
WE NEED MORE SONIC REPS! Personally I would go for Shadow but if we get Amy I will not be disappointed!
Especially considering she is one of the few major Sonic characters that isn't either a Mii Fighter costume or an AT.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
This is inaccurate. actually. Amy's first appearance was in a Sonic manga series & was brought over to the games: https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Amy_(Shogakukan)

Which technically means she's not a game character & not eligible.
Are the Shogakukan Amy and canon Amy separate entities? Also, Joker/Ren is a 3rd party playable character from a 4th party franchise, since megami tensei is a novel franchise. So I think Amy can still be playable, and is not deconfirmed.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This is inaccurate. actually. Amy's first appearance was in a Sonic manga series & was brought over to the games: https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Amy_(Shogakukan)

By that definition, Lucario is also not a game character because technically it appeared in the anime movie Lucario & The Mystery Of Mew before it appeared in Diamond & Pearl. This is a similar case to that.

MainJPW

M.T.A

Can't tell if you're joking or not but primarily appearing in video games and being primarily promoted as a video game character > debuting in a relatively obscure manga from 1992.

Manga characters, as Masahiro Sakurai CLEARLY stated during the Tokyo Game Show: "However, basically [Smash] will only have content from video games in it.”

https://www.dualshockers.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-goku-sakurai-shoots-down-hopes/

Goku is PRIMARILY KNOWN as a manga/anime character, therefore he can't appear in any capacity. Not even as a spirit.

Amy wouldn't be in the game in any capacity if that were the case. Same thing with Charmy Bee:

Wouldn't be in the Chaotix spirit if that were the case.

Karin wouldn't have a spirit either if she were categorized and known as a manga character. She made her first appearance in a manga known as Sakura Ganbary! in 1996 before appearing in the games:

Still clearly a video game character.
Are the Shogakukan Amy and canon Amy separate entities?
If you're asking if it's the same character then yes, it's clearly the same character.

That's literally just her CD design...a year before she appeared in CD.

The kanji here [エイミー] translates to "Amy". That's literally Amy Rose.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Been thinking a lot of Amy as a character in smash lately.

It would be super fun if her side+B was a move where she jumps and grabs the opponent while yelling "Sonic!"

And if the opponent breaks free, she yells "You're not Sonic!"

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My two cents on an older post on here. As far as I see, some video game characters have superceded their (often obscure and Japan-only) tie-in origins to the point that the average person wouldn't see them as anything but video game characters. Bonk is the biggest case, as he once was a character for a comic in a magazine promoting the PC Engine, then became the console-spearheading mascot we know today.

Also, music from Advent Children, A MOVIE THAT ISN'T A VIDEO GAME, got included recently. So basically, anything that is clearly related to a video game franchise will be let slid, so long as the IP in question didn't start out as a licensed property (which is why, for example, you wouldn't reasonably expect Android 21 to come).

Given all of that, we can consider ourselves lucky that Amy doesn't have the same rights issues that other Sonic tie-in characters generally suffer from (AOSTH, Archie, SATAM, et al).

That being said, I'm glad to see the "no second uniques for a third party" fan rule is obsolete, so that'll increase her chances a bit (even if it'll have to wait until next game).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
My two cents on an older post on here. As far as I see, some video game characters have superceded their (often obscure and Japan-only) tie-in origins to the point that the average person wouldn't see them as anything but video game characters. Bonk is the biggest case, as he once was a character for a comic in a magazine promoting the PC Engine, then became the console-spearheading mascot we know today.

Also, music from Advent Children, A MOVIE THAT ISN'T A VIDEO GAME, got included recently. So basically, anything that is clearly related to a video game franchise will be let slid, so long as the IP in question didn't start out as a licensed property (which is why, for example, you wouldn't reasonably expect Android 21 to come).

Given all of that, we can consider ourselves lucky that Amy doesn't have the same rights issues that other Sonic tie-in characters generally suffer from (AOSTH, Archie, SATAM, et al).

That being said, I'm glad to see the "no second uniques for a third party" fan rule is obsolete, so that'll increase her chances a bit (even if it'll have to wait until next game).
Yeah. With Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow all out of the running, her biggest competition is Dr. Eggman.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Assuming there's room left, seeing as confirmation for a FP3 is still up in the air until we reach the end of next year. We'll have to wait and see.
Although I would enjoy Amy's inclusion, I would be suprised if she got in instead of Tails, Knuckles, Shadow and Eggman. But on the bright side, Amy might potentially be the world's most iconic female non-Nintendo videogame character.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
View attachment 154734
Who is Amy Rose?

Amy is a pink hedgehog who first appeared in Sonic CD. She is Sonic's self proclaimed girlfriend, and she will do anything to win his heart. She wields the Piko Piko Hammer. She is also the leader of Team Rose, whose members rotate in all their appearances, but Cream the Rabbit and Big the Cat are the most recurring members.

Moveset (Credit to Evilwaluigi and his You Know Who Should Be In Smash series)

View attachment 154735

Pros
Prominent character in the Sonic series.
Unique moveset potential

Cons
Outclassed by other Sonic characters.

Supporters
*ZagarTulip
*SEGAGameBoy
*osby
*Luminario
*Sean Wheeler
*P.Kat
*S.F.L.R_9
*FooltheFlames
*TheFVguy
*jamershinobioneobi02
*katiethehedgefox
I have always found Amy to be an interesting, atypical character. Her color scheme, hair, and hammer would make her stand out, and she has extensive resources to draw from for moveset compilation. Most importantly to me, however, is that she could assume a relatively sparse archetype as a lightweight, compact, and speedy powerhouse with disjoints. I support!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sonic and Friends in Chinese New Year outfits.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Sonic and Friends in Chinese New Year outfits.

Amy in a China Dress is cute as ****.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This thread really blew up after Sephiroth's reveal. Of course it would, as Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow are all out of the running, and Amy herself is next in line if they choose not to go with Dr. Eggman.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
This thread really blew up after Sephiroth's reveal. Of course it would, as Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow are all out of the running, and Amy herself is next in line if they choose not to go with Dr. Eggman.
Amy may be the world's most famous female 3rd party character, but I would like to remind you all that she is not a primary rep.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
She could be. The three most popular choices are either DLC Mii Costumes, ATs, or both, and her only real competition is the series' main villain, Dr. Eggman.
Mrs Pacman is probably the word's 2nd most famous female 3rd party character behind Amy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom