• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Driving school

nakedsnake

Smash Journeyman
Today I start driving school I probably should be happy, but I more nervous. Its 3 hours and I really shy and I'm going to be with people I don't even know. Once I get my license I am really scared of the road. And the fact that I don't have that much common sense sometimes really doesn't help. And my sense of direction isn't that good. I guess I will learn
as I start to drive in the driver seat more. But all these things make for one nervous kid the only thing I think I am more nervous of is College. So what I'm asking is how is driving school and is driving even that bad or hard. And I'm getting my permit

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Its boring as hell. Just make sure to take notes of all the stupid numerical laws, like "How many feet between driving 40 miles per hour and a stop sign should you start slowing down?"

You know, that sort of shiz. It's stupid, because most people just know instinctively when to start slowing down-- yet they feel the need to put a number on it.

Eventually, driving will become extremely second nature. Have fun, and drive safely!

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
I got my permit last month.
Driving is easier than I expected, the hardest part for me is making left turns, I never turn the wheel enough.
But you should be okay, if you pay attention in class and learn all the signs. Also, other drivers will probably notice you if you're driving strangely, and they'll give you more room to maneuver.
Also, the permit test is frikin easy (at least in CA it is)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Dude, I felt exactly the same way you do when I was in Driver's Ed.

Class kind of sucked because I didn't know anyone and the stuff they teach is just pointless. Like Xsy said, you've got to remember useless facts for the written test that won't do you any good when you're actually behind the wheel.

But more than that, I was just nervous as hell about driving. I was convinced that I just wasn't coordinated well enough to do it. But it really is only a matter of getting used to it.

But if I can pass Driver's Ed, anyone can (EMBARRASSING STORY AHOY!).

In segment one, on my last driving session with my instructor (who was kind of a jerk), after a rather stressful final hour of freeways and Michigan Lefts and the like, I drove back into the driving school parking lot, mentally patting myself on the back for surviving it all. As I pulled up to a parking space that I figured I could shimmy my way into, my foot decided to become confused as to where the break pedal was, so it hit the gas. Although I had mentally registered what had happened due to the way the pedal under my foot felt and the fact that I was speeding up, my foot hadn't caught up with me yet, so it just pushed down HARDER to try and make me stop.

The two front wheels of the car ended up on the sidewalk in front of the Driver's Ed building. I didn't break anything or hurt anyone, but it was a mighty frightening park job. The dude still (VERY reluctantly) passed me.

Just don't stress yourself too much and you'll be golden. Trust your first instinct because it's usually going to be right. And if it's not, you'll find out why, and then never do that again.

Overload

Smash Lord
I got my license and everything, but I don't like driving much. I get nervous when there are a lot of cars around. One thing I hate is changing lanes. I can't even legally drive because I'm not on any insurance though. Doesn't bother me much, I never really go anywhere.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Some people are good drivers, some people are okay drivers, and a lot of people are just god-awful.

As long as you make sure not to get into the third category, you'll be fine. Like the others said, pay attention to the pointless details/numbers for the license test. Signal when changing lanes. Look both ways at intersections. Know who has the right of way in different situations. Don't follow too closely. And until you get your license, it's a good idea not to exceed the speed limit at all.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I'm hoping to be like, 24 before I get a driver's license =D

When I had a permit and was practicing, I found a good way to think when driving was like it was a video game. It actually relaxes you quite a bit, until some **** gets angry about the green shells denting his car.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'm hoping to be like, 24 before I get a driver's license =D

When I had a permit and was practicing, I found a good way to think when driving was like it was a video game. It actually relaxes you quite a bit, until some **** gets angry about the green shells denting his car.
I was really uncomfortable driving until I played a good ten hours of Project Gotham Racing 3, using the in-cockpit view. Before I had played that, I'd just be so stressed out when I was driving. I took it way too seriously. But like you said, I learned to treat it just like the game, and after that I loved driving. Now I'm an awesome driver, and it's one of my favorite things to do.

slave1

Smash Lord
Its boring as hell. Just make sure to take notes of all the stupid numerical laws, like "How many feet between driving 40 miles per hour and a stop sign should you start slowing down?"
xsyven driving is boring when you live way the heck out in the middle on no where like you do

driving is not all that bad. it is kinda scary the first few times. but after that it is scary. the only scary part is getting onto the freeway. and the rest of the country have the gayes on ramps so watch out for that

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
xsyven driving is boring when you live way the heck out in the middle on no where like you do

driving is not all that bad. it is kinda scary the first few times. but after that it is scary. the only scary part is getting onto the freeway. and the rest of the country have the gayes on ramps so watch out for that
Dude, I got my license when I lived in Portland. Giant city, slave! By the way, you live in Cedar right now-- that's the worst city in all of Utah.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I took drvers ed this summer, the classroom part was borng despite having an awesome teacher, and the drivng portion was tense, but it will pay off, you'll end up feeling more confident as a driver andm in my case, an insurance rate reduction.

RodS

Smash Cadet
Driving is like riding a bike if you crash you get right back up (hopefully)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Since I'm bored:
How you get your Driver's licence in Queensland Australia:

1. Turn 16
(Yes, you get your learner's license over here when you're 16, I'm not sure what it's like over in the US though)

2. Take a theory test. Upon passing this, you get your Learner's License.
(I failed the first time round by a single question, and my score was 28/30. In the first section, you can only get one question wrong, and I got two wrong. Both were Give way questions)

3. Upon getting your Learner's, you receive a log book. In this log book you must log the amount of time you spend driving as a learner driver. You must complete 100 hours of driving, 10 of which must be at night before you may go for your Provisional License

(Like, wutdaheck? Before July 1st last year there was nothing like that. And now I'm caught up in it. There's more too)

Time spent driving with an instructor is counted as triple time, however, this tripling of time only counts for the first 10 hours.

(Oh well, that's better than nothing).

4. Upon obtaining 100 hours of practice, you may then take your Provisional License test. This is pretty much your driving test where you drive around and the instructor marks you. Passing this, nabs you your Provisionals, which basically means you can drive by yourself with certain limitations. The provisional period lasts for 3 years, at which point you receive your Open license.

(*Sigh*)
---

At first, driving at even low speeds in my own suburban street scared me. But now I'm driving around okay. It's just finding time to drive with my dad to get my hours up. Ugh. It's rediculous.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Lol, my driving instructor was a total ***. Dude like seriously belongs in a mental hospital. Couldn't control his sex crazed students(perverted stories galore), and when you got in the car all the moron did was scream at you. Yeah bad memories. Anywho I have my permit now, and I've been driving with my Dad some build up the necessary hours. Still trying to get the hang of things, but I'm definetly improving after getting rid of that........I'll save the censor anymore trouble.

M@v

Subarashii!
Classroom part=boring as hell. Half the time we watched videos. I got a B on the final test and I didnt study at all. The driving part is not bad all, assuming you dont get an ahole for an instructor.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Over here in the Netherlands it goes like this:
You turn 18
You now can take driving lesson's(this is inmediatly driving on the road through town).
Now you can also get your 'Theory Licence' or what you call Learner's licence, which lasts for 1 year.
Now after taking enough lessons, your teacher decides if you're good enough for the Driving Test, but first he advices you to take some sort of 'pre-test', which is basicly the same test, only it costs less, and you CAN'T get your licence, he just tells you what you need to work on for the real test. Now you can take the real test, and if you pass, you'll finally be able to drive on the road.

And I've had driving lessons for a year now(note: I'm only 18 and 1,5 month old, so it wasn't exactly legal for me to take driving lessons when I was 17, but the instructor didn't care, and my grandmother really wanted me to get driving lessons so she pays everything right now), I just passed my Theory Test, and in a few days I'll hear when my 'pre-test' is. Then, 2 weeks after that, I'll do my real test.

ALSO, today was AWESOME! You see, my grandfather has a used-car dealership, so he has a car for me, which I must pay off for 50 %. It's a red Volkswagen Golf 4 from '98 and it's awesome. Now this is not the point why today in particular is awesome, because I've had this car for a week now. But, there is a small problem with the engine, which we do not know yet, but the car is running slower than it's supposed too(it's still drivable nonetheless). So, we replaced the sparkers today and I got to testdrive my car. So today, I drove for the first time in my own car! With someone on the passenger seat(a friend of my granddad) so we could test if it worked or not. It didn't. It was still illegal btw for me to drive, even with the person on the passenger seat(we don't have that kind of rule over here in the Netherlands).
You see, that really sucks about my situation, I have a car, but no driver license yet. It's like having the biggest chocolate pie in the world, but you can't eat it. Now, today I just got the tiniest nap of the pie, and that made it worse. xD

BUT EVEN MORE AWESOME WAS, that I got to drive one of my granddad's cars to the carwash, ALL BY MYSELF! And it wasn't a cheap car either! I'm so proud! I wasn't even scared that anything happened!

But yeah, don't drive when you are not allowed to do it legally!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
heh, I remember when I had to get my Driver's License and I mean literally HAD TO, because my parents wouldn't let me drive around by myself unless I got my Driver License first which was lame because I would usually go to my girlfriends house but they wouldn't let me since she lives like on the other side of town, thankfully I don't have that problem anymore. *phew*

anyway, if you are going to get your driver's licence I suggest you pay close attention, but don't sweat it, if you get nervous, don't give up, were all people, we make mistakes, and if your instructor is a real pain in the ***, just overllok it and focus on your ability to learn how to drive and you should do well, besides it's natural to be shy the first time, so all I can say is give your all and do your best while doing safely of course. :)

nakedsnake

Smash Journeyman
I just got through my first week of drivers ed and my class has to be the most easiest class ever. All you do is sit around and fill out worksheets for 3 hours its easy but boring but the good thing is their is no homework and you only have to go for a minimum of 2 days per week. Plus the teacher is awesome but she talks alot which is annoying when your trying to work. The school you pick is very important like the school offered by my high school sucks theirs homework lots of work to do. Alot harder then the one I'm in now. And a horror story is a kid in that class got mono and got kicked out of the class after he had two days left. He has to basically start all over again from the beginning at the school I am right now. Because his first school wouldn't say that he did 8 days.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
My town is basically half one-way roads, and I just moved here so I'm still trying to learn it. It's gay

Top Bottom