• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drill Resting: It's freakin good

PND

Smash Champion
You're not using it correctly, dair AS SOON as you jump. Start it IMMEDIATELY.

It's only a true combo if it trips, but if it doesn't feel free to dair grab, or dair utilt even.

SDC

Smash Lord
to PNDmike:
Yeah i usually grab out of dair cuz rest is unreliable and grab is, i've got a lot of faith in jigg'z grab. im in a bad habit of not using utilt, im trying to incorporate utilt into my game more. i think im just not used to having a utilt that goes behind you instead of in front of you. it just feels odd to me.

oh and dair never trips for me lol, is there a certain way or place or a certain amount of time you have to hit them with it to make it trip?

PND

Smash Champion
There was a topic buried somewhere on this board, it categorizes all the different types of hitstuns, the probability of tripping, and how to target certain parts the opponent for certain types of hitstun. It had a video too.

Basically, the dair has better chance of tripping if it hits the knees or below, IIRC. And Utilt can juggle at low percents, and it kills at rest + 50%, so dair utilt can be ridiculously useful if they're adamant on avoiding your fair, just make sure to cross up the dair so it will hit.

SDC

Smash Lord
thanks, i'll try to aim for the knees and legs more, that makes sense. And yeah utilt will be used more.
lol but about the aim for the knees thing, what happens when you play kirby?? or mk? or anyone else with little stubs for legs lol?

PND

Smash Champion
They're usually fatter, which directly leads to easier rests to hit. Exceptions: Squirtle, Pikachu.

SDC

Smash Lord
seriously man, rofl i hate squirtle, he matches us in the air (may not be true but it feels like that lol) and hes got that annoying *** upsmash, and hes impossible to rest. pikachu has been buffed to an unbelievable degree, its ridiculous what they made him into, i hate that obnoxious little sewer rat rofl XD.

PND

Smash Champion
Haha, you hate sewer rats and turtles? This just in, Jiggs gets hard countered by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :laugh:

I don't mind Squirtle, it's all a game of spacing. He's like you, but he can't function nearly as well off stage, so take him there. Plus I've gimped his Up B with DSmash at the edge before, which is hilarious.

Pikachu, well, I haven't played many crazy good Pikachus. Just smash DI out of his multi hit moves, stick in the air, and nair a lot. It's what I do, and it mostly works. The best Pikachus I've played, though, are usually with my Snake.

Utilt hard counters Pikachu.

Top Bottom