• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragon Ball/Z/GT Disscussion Thread

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The new form looks weird to me. Though I suppose it looks better than it could have been. I'd say it looks a bit better than SS4, which was also jarring. I guess you could say I'm getting a little used to it, but I'm not a big fan of it.

Though honestly, the transformations probably should have stopped at 3.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Aaaaaaaaaand you took it too far. The joke was dead.
Yes. That was the point.

On to the next point, it looks like Akira Toriyama will keep giving us new forms after SS3, as well as new hair colours. Can't wait for Purplish Golden haired Ascended Ultimate Super Saiyan 3 who absorbed the power of Super Saiyan God 4.

finalark

SNORLAX
On to the next point, it looks like Akira Toriyama will keep giving us new forms after SS3, as well as new hair colours. Can't wait for Purplish Golden haired Ascended Ultimate Super Saiyan 3 who absorbed the power of Super Saiyan God 4.
Seeing Super Saiyan God in Battle of the Gods was neat because it was the first time we had gotten new DBZ material in years, so obviously the movie wanted to be as impressive as possible. While I'm still excited for Revival of F I'm also cautious. I'm okay with DBZ continuing as a series of movies, but I'm not down with us getting a new Goku form in every new flick.

It's a cool gimmick, but it's one that's going to get old really quickly.

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan actually hurts to look at. Blue may be my favorite color, but it looks really bad on a Super Saiyan.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, does anyone have a favorite attack from the series? I remember being really hyped whenever Goku/Gohan would do the Kamehameha. Though Final Flash is pretty badass too.

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
So, does anyone have a favorite attack from the series? I remember being really hyped whenever Goku/Gohan would do the Kamehameha. Though Final Flash is pretty badass too.
Piccolo's Makankosappo (Special Beam Cannon) has always been hype for me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Piccolo's Makankosappo (Special Beam Cannon) has always been hype for me.
Yeah, that move is awesome. Though he doesn't use it too often, probably one of the reasons it's cool. When Piccolo does use it, **** usually gets real.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I'm going to be the odd one and say Galick Gun. That's an attack you don't see often. Although Final Flash is pretty cool. Kamehameha is pretty much the trademark (still good) and keeps occurring so can't say much about that.

amorphous bob

Smash Rookie
NNID
mymainman
3DS FC
4828-5358-4805
goku
I grew up watching them through multiple times and continue to and it's just goofy actiony and great.
I was glad to see a movie that's actual dbz junk and I had been told by a friend who told me where to watch it before it came out about the whole them basically losing thing, and yeah i was still just not down for that in a show like this, buuuut i think it's cool they went for that.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
There's going to be a new Dragonball series airing in April called Dragonball Super. It's going to take place after the new movies and will presumably replace GT. As far as Toriyama's involvement goes, it seems that he will give it his blessing and won't contribute in any other way.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-1st-new-tv-anime-in-18-years-in-july/.87608
Heh?

Wasn't that the same case in GT? Toriyama didn't write anything but he did allow/approve it to happen. He came up with the name GT (Grand Tour) and designed the look of the main cast.

finalark

SNORLAX
Heh?

Wasn't that the same case in GT? Toriyama didn't write anything but he did allow/approve it to happen. He came up with the name GT (Grand Tour) and designed the look of the main cast.
The article is written pretty ambiguously. The first time I read it I thought that Toriyama wasn't going to be involved, but after rereading it I think he's penning the story and that's it. So maybe he has some level of involvement this time.

Also, I didn't know that's what GT stood for. I thought Toriyama picked it because it was two English letters that sounded cool together.

EDIT: As far as speculation goes, Beerus mentions that there are countless alternate universes with infinitely
more powerful baddies at the end of Battle of the Gods. Ten bucks says that DB Super will revolve around traveling to these universes.

Ten bucks also says that the series will be renamed Super Dragonball Z when it's dubbed because an adjective after the noun is extremely Engrishy and slapped a Z on the end of a Dragonball series makes it 30% more marketable in the west.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I just hope characters other than Goku and Vegeta get to do something. That'd be cool.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's May 9th. You know what that means, right. Happy King Piccolo Day. Hopefully we won't see anyone in a bodybag.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I kind of wish this thread was a little more active. Maybe when Super comes out it will be. Anyway, it turns out that Dragon Ball Super will actually have a comic book adaptation along with the cartoon. What's more is that it'll be written by Toriyama. However, another one of the Dragon Ball artists will be doing the art.

I think that might be for the best, even if Toriyama's style is better when the man himself does it. That way he isn't too overworked. From what I understand, DBS will have it's comic book come out in monthly chapters, like modern JoJo, as opposed to the weekly chapters the original DB or One Piece had.

Well, I'm hoping that Toriyama and his team will be able to make a lot of use for the other characters in this. The original series did this quite well if you ask me. Even if some characters didn't get to save the day, they still got screen time and some good fights in spite of that.

At the very least, I'm hoping the other Saiyans and Piccolo will still be relevant, it'd be even better if some of the Humans are relevant along with them.

amorphous bob

Smash Rookie
NNID
mymainman
3DS FC
4828-5358-4805
Kai has been playing through on Toonami and I'm so very happy.
I could just watch it online
and have when I didn't want to wait
but it's on a big tv
and the fact that Toonami is back just makes muh heart feels

amorphous bob

Smash Rookie
NNID
mymainman
3DS FC
4828-5358-4805
I kind of wish this thread was a little more active. Maybe when Super comes out it will be. Anyway, it turns out that Dragon Ball Super will actually have a comic book adaptation along with the cartoon. What's more is that it'll be written by Toriyama. However, another one of the Dragon Ball artists will be doing the art.

I think that might be for the best, even if Toriyama's style is better when the man himself does it. That way he isn't too overworked. From what I understand, DBS will have it's comic book come out in monthly chapters, like modern JoJo, as opposed to the weekly chapters the original DB or One Piece had.

Well, I'm hoping that Toriyama and his team will be able to make a lot of use for the other characters in this. The original series did this quite well if you ask me. Even if some characters didn't get to save the day, they still got screen time and some good fights in spite of that.

At the very least, I'm hoping the other Saiyans and Piccolo will still be relevant, it'd be even better if some of the Humans are relevant along with them.
I'm hoping they stay away from adding/using gimmicky/shtick y characters
**glarring at quite a few GT peeps**

amorphous bob

Smash Rookie
NNID
mymainman
3DS FC
4828-5358-4805
OH ****
favorite move!
earlier in Z goku (I don't remember who he was fighting) is pounding this dude around, being quick and doin all over the place, and when he gets him to the ground he's above the dude and kamehameha's him.
good stuff
not sure if it's my favorite, but it's up there

finalark

SNORLAX

I'm actually totally cool with monthly chapters, since it means that we'll get better quality art and hopefully writing out of the series.

I'm cautiously optimistic about DB Super, although the prospect of a new comic series has me intrigued.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's probably not going to be all that great, but I'm sure it will be entertaining for what it is.

Not that it matters, since everything made past Z has been extremely polarizing (or universally disliked). At best some people will like it, others won't and at worse everyone will pretend it didn't happen (I.E. GT).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, I'm also cautiously optimistic about DBS. I want it to be good. I really, really do. Since this is going to be a full series, I'm hoping that it'll make use of a good chunk of the DBZ cast in a meaningful way. At the very least, the other Saiyans, Piccolo and Krillin should still be relevant to varying degrees. I can understand why the new movies can't accomplish this properly, there isn't enough time to do so. I hope that's not forgotten. We got characters like Krillin and Kid Gohan doing **** in the Namek Saga without them killing every villain in their path. Or moments when Tien or Trunks stand up to Cell even when they are out matched.

On the other hand, if it keeps up the type of storytelling from the other movies, then we might not have any characters other than Goku and maybe Vegeta get to do anything meaningful. And the other heroes get sandbagged for no reason. Which would be a real shame. Also, I haven't been too much of a fan of the other forms. Ever since SS4, they've been pushing it, but from a marketing standpoint, I guess they keep making money.

At the very worst, most people will just ignore it like they did GT. At the very best, it'll be remembered as a good addition to the franchise.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So for those who don't know, Dragon Ball Super is supposedly getting something shown off this Sunday. If I had to guess, it's likely a preview of the series. That said, the initial trailer might not show us much quite yet. But it would be nice to see some of the character designs.

From what did get shown off a little while earlier was sketches for the ending theme. One sketch was for Goku, who looks the same. Gohan, who has a similar hairstyle to the Buu Saga. And Goten, who appears to also be the same or similar to the Buu Saga.

Hopefully, both of Goku's sons will get to do some cool stuff in this new series.

In less major news, DBZ Extreme Butoden got a rating in Australia. Since most of the other games in that series stayed in Japan, this could mean good things for us if it's getting a rating in another country. That said, no info of the sort can be found if the US or Europe might get this game. Hopefully it will, it looks decent enough. Though the supers do last a little too long.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
DBZ Extreme Butoden has potentially gotten a rating in Europe as well. If this really is true, then we might see the game hit western shores. Probably in the holiday season if we're lucky.

Crimda

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1246-4922-0905
I saw a bad camrip of Revival of F. I'm going to echo the sentiment.. the blue hair is kinda weird. I think blue hair could work but just not that palette of it. I really liked SSGJ form, that red aura was beastly. How cool it would have been if they went with a shade of orange that complemented the red aura.

Also is it just me or is the naming asinine? Super Sayian God Super Sayian Goku. Why? Here's something that rolls off the tongue nicely... Ascended Super Sayian God Goku. Oh! That doesn't leave more power ups you say? Transcendent Super Sayian God Goku. Just Sayian.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, the first chapter of Dragon Ball Super has dropped online. I won't give much away right now. But there is at least one picture I do want to share. It doesn't give us much in the way of plot, but it looks really, really cool.

Dragon Ball Super 1.jpg

It would be nice if this gave us an idea of where the series could be headed.

From what I understand, there's already been a few smaller retcons between this and BoG. If that's the case, a part of this series could in fact be a re-telling of the last two movies. But I'm only speculating on that part.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hey maybe a good thing that will come out of this is Gohan will become badass again!

Hopefully.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Some more info for Dragon Ball Super was dropped. From the sounds of it, the Z-Fighters will at least visit one of the other universes in this series. I think the two recent movies will also be re-told. If that's the case, we could see other character being given longer screen time during those moments, even if they lose a fight. I know some people, myself included could look forward to that. There's only so much you can do in a movie. But if those stories were re-told in a TV format, we can have other characters getting their chance to shine before the big fights with guys like Beerus.

Again, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about this series. So here's hoping for the best.

Also, this Saturday, Toonami will have a marathon for Dragon Ball Z Kai if you haven't been watching it lately.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I just finished watching the first episode of Dragon Ball Super.

The first episode takes things pretty slow, but in it's own way. Unlike GT where it spent the first half trying to emulate original DB. I'm hoping Super tries to be its own thing instead of trying to recapture DB or Z, but right now I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this.

Top Bottom